McKenzie: Stamkos? (Speculation)

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
@ bryddog 5 weeks wth>????? its oct dude and they are starting jan 1st.....
The inital plan was to start DEC 1 and until tonight Bettman had not said one word otherwise ok so now they start play Jan 1 Maybe that still starts camp at the end of Nov or 1st week of Dec.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I think he wants a cup as much as ever. I think there's more to the story than meets the eye, just because of the way McKenzie reported it. I don't know if Stamkos would be willing to go or not. I don't think we would want him to unless we're in a tougher spot than any of us actually realizes.

The fact that we're outside of the top-5 and nothing happens makes me think Stamkos is safe. If we get past tomorrow without moving Johnson or Killorn, suddenly EVERYTHING looks realistic because we have no idea what's going on.

Yeah I don’t think Stamkos is the first guy in the list but honestly if there’s takers for him, even if we move TJ and Killorn, you gotta give it a long look. Point has surpassed him (even healthy, IMO) on the depth chart and Stamkos has a questionable projection at this point to me.

So if you can move him and get a really solid young player that can play right now I think you gotta do it.

Just me though. In general I don’t think any player should ever be untouchable. If it makes the team better it should have a green light.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah I don’t think Stamkos is the first guy in the list but honestly if there’s takers for him, even if we move TJ and Killorn, you gotta give it a long look. Point has surpassed him (even healthy, IMO) on the depth chart and Stamkos has a questionable projection at this point to me.

So if you can move him and get a really solid young player that can play right now I think you gotta do it.

Just me though. In general I don’t think any player should ever be untouchable. If it makes the team better it should have a green light.

I don't think we can move three forwards of that caliber. I think if Stamkos moves, he would be the only one. So it's probably the least likely.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Ya, if I'm Stamkos, and want to remain in a hot-weather climate, Vegas and maybe Dallas are the only teams out of LA, Anaheim, SJ, Arizona & Florida to consider.

Problem for Vegas is that they're in a pretty precarious position cap-wise, and probably want to take a shot at AP.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
He basically said he couldn't take the spotlight.

According to an article about Tavares when he was mulling over signing with us, he called Stamkos who told him had we been a contender at the time, he would have signed.

So I don’t think the spotlight scares him.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
According to an article about Tavares when he was mulling over signing with us, he called Stamkos who told him had we been a contender at the time, he would have signed.

Its weird how that season ended up...lol

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

I could see Toronto being on his short list. Moved for Nylander. Tampa savings 1.6 million in cap space and $3.5 in actual dollars for the coming season. Toronto gets the better player but gives up the young cheaper guy. Toronto would be the last team to care about the extra salary owed. Doesn’t address Toronto rd need but watching a Matthews - Marner and Stamkos - Tavares combos would be something else

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I could see Toronto being on his short list. Moved for Nylander. Tampa savings 1.6 million in cap space and $3.5 in actual dollars for the coming season. Toronto gets the better player but gives up the young cheaper guy. Toronto would be the last team to care about the extra salary owed. Doesn’t address Toronto rd need but watching a Matthews - Marner and Stamkos - Tavares combos would be something else
That's not good enough for me and likely not for Tampa. Stamkos, while there are concerns about his body right now (at least for me. Not sure how it's viewed league wide), is easily capable of PPG+ when he's playing. The caliber of players aren't the same and the less than $2M cap savings is not enough to make that big of a downgrade.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad