TSN: Stamkos meeting with leafs, Toronto mayor, and CEO of Canadian tire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
NOTE:

Canadian Tire owns Sportcheks parent company.

Stamkos currently has an endorsement with Sportchek. The Leafs aren't brining in any new suiters here likely leaving all potential cap circumvention conversations at the door. Leafs can't be punished if Sportchek is willing to pay Stamkos more to play here.

Also the mayor is suppose to be there to propose a Subway line/station after him.

No they can't.

But they can be punished if they are the ones (or if they give the appearance that they are the ones) that organized him being paid more.. or if what he's being paid is not considered fair value for his services (i.e. it's too much).

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Do majority of Leafs fans want stammer even in TO.. I always get mixed reviews on it and I really don't know if you guys do or not

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
I LOVE HOW ****IN SMART LOU AND SHANAHAN ARE!

bring down the cap hit and give him extra money from other sources.

How smart are these guys? so resourceful. so creative.

lets get it done boys!!!!! :yo::yo::yo:

Cap circumvention, have at it!

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Everything about this thread is crazy.

Steve Simmons with pertinent information, Canadian Tire being represented, just strange. Really curious to see what happens come Canada Day.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Stamkos signs a 7 year 3 million/year contract with leafs.

And

Stamkos signs a 7 year 10 million per year endorsement deal with Canadian tire!

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
I don't know why certain Leafs fans are so eager to see Stamkos be given questionable endorsements(as they are suggesting themselves, not saying that it's happening in reality). You're basically wishing for your franchise to get completely ****ed by the league

Folks, the league isn't all powerful, and honestly doesn't care. The union will grieve at any attempt to prevent a player from getting an endorsement deal. Endorsements are legal within the CBA. Capped leagues discuss business opportunities in the city. The Lakers did this with Aldridge last year. The league doesn't actually give a **** about parity, they're trying to keep expenses low. The biggest drivers of the cap were Snider and Jacobs, who invented cap circumvention.

Literally nothing about this is illegal, or even all that unusual. Players generally meet executives of the companies that give them endorsement deals through teams those companies sponsor. Seriously guys, the NHL can't stop another company from paying him.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
There's been talk about this supplemented income and that it's already been vetted by the NHL and lawyers. Unfortunately, the NHL cannot allow this to happen or they are opening up an extremely huge can of worms. Teams like Detroit will start signing guys for $4 million per with a $5 million per contract from Little Caesars, etc, etc, etc.

Hoping he signs with the Leafs but this will NOT be good for the NHL if they let this happen. There's a reason "Personal Services" contracts that were made famous by the USFL are NOT allowed in sports anymore. I believe it was only a couple of years ago Donald Trump stopped paying Herschel Walker from the 80s.

Corporations should NOT be deciding where our sports go from here on either.

1000% this right here. This is not a trail the NHL should be blazing.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
There's a pretty easy solution to this type of thing. Have a sliding scale cap that includes taxes for each geographical location. Then you can actually have parity instead of this crap where 8.5M in Tampa = 11M in Toronto. It's horse ****, especially when teams like the Leafs pay for these floundering markets in the southern states.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Is it cap circumvention if the Mayor of Toronto is the one telling Stamkos that he'll make millions from endorsements if he signs? The Mayor doesn't work for the team. He's representing the city.

Leafs are gonna be sneaky about it, and they will do it in a way that makes it impossible for the league to punish them for it.

Florida has taxes, California has weather, Toronto has billion dollar companies that are connected to the Toronto Maple Leafs. People are gonna have to just accept that some cities have certain advantages.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I LOVE HOW ****IN SMART LOU AND SHANAHAN ARE!

bring down the cap hit and give him extra money from other sources.

How smart are these guys? so resourceful. so creative.

lets get it done boys!!!!! :yo::yo::yo:

Until the league vetos the contract and hits you with a cap circumvention penalty. Oh wait thats happened to Lou before.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Any endorsement contract has already been reviewed and approved the NHL and NHLPA Lawyers

This is all legal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad