Rumor: Stamkos Ask from Toronto was 14M AAV

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
14m? Probably BS. Perhaps 14m for the first two years or so and then it ramped down. Regarding the taxes? Canada is run by a bunch of fiscally irresponsible idiots. Just drive around with your eyes open and actually read the values pegged to projects we are involved in. Look at the trade deals we have with countries with lower wages... Ontario Debt clock 300+ Billion. AVG Canadian response, have no clue and are in complete state of bliss because... Canada. People say the American system has problems but just give it time and attracting a Steven Stamkos type player will be the least of our worries. PS. Trudeau, Winn and the lot do not serve our interests.

I certainly don't want to get political here and I sure to hell don't want to defend the policies of any level of our governments...be them Conservative, Liberal or NDP but I much prefer our system and yes that includes the higher taxes we pay.

I agree we have waste in government spending but that's not unique to Ontario or Canada. But it's what we here in Ontario get for the provincial tax we pay in social services that are light years ahead of what the poor, disabled and other disadvantaged groups get in Florida.

So enjoy your time in sunny Florida Steven, I'm sure your family made use of the generous social services in Ontario as you were growing up.

Hopefully they'll all move down there with you to enjoy the great American life you so richly deserve.
Just be careful of the stand your ground law down there:laugh:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I certainly don't want to get political here and I sure to hell don't want to defend the policies of any level of our governments...be them Conservative, Liberal or NDP but I much prefer our system and yes that includes the higher taxes we pay.

I agree we have waste in government spending but that's not unique to Ontario or Canada. But it's what we here in Ontario get for the provincial tax we pay in social services that are light years ahead of what the poor, disabled and other disadvantaged groups get in Florida.

So enjoy your time in sunny Florida Steven, I'm sure your family made use of the generous social services in Ontario as you were growing up.

Hopefully they'll all move down there with you to enjoy the great American life you so richly deserve.
Just be careful of the stand your ground law down there:laugh:

Top tier pro athletes in North America should have uniform tax rates. Just call it 40% in all states and provinces and call it a day. It's stupid, we all want to promote our athletes at ever level anyways but Canada gives them a penalty.

Our system isn't sustainable and will implode at the rate we are going. Any smart governance protects and nationalizes key natural resources/energy to offset the countries social programs. Tariffs are also a must and free trade with countries that have lower wages never works. Just saying, no .Gov body should be able to screw with our resources without a referendum.

Our lavish spending and flat out fiscal irresponsibility leads to athletes having a tough go of it. We also have quite the brain drain going on as well for similar reasons.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Rather than give millionaires special treatment on taxes:

The next CBA should take into account regional tax rates when determining individual teams spending ceiling.

It would be easily implementable and would create greater parity in contract negotiations.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

The next CBA should take into account regional tax rates when determining individual teams spending ceiling.

It would be easily implementable and would create greater parity in contract negotiations.

I proposed that the last couple of years but it gets messed up when complex trades happen. They could have a floating cap that way though which could work. The league wants more cups in the US though considering it's a largely untapped market so we won't see much change in the short term. When Canadian teams start losing money in a bad way... yeah.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

Most pro athletes are millionaires.
They don't need a tax break!

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Lou upon meeting Stamkos

giphy.gif

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
The Leafs were rumored to have offered a shorter contract then most so maybe he countered with a much higher number. 14 seems like its higher then I would imagine but I don't doubt he asked for more then 10m when the leafs only offered the 5 years they did. (Or were rumored to have done)

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Bitter anyone?

I am. I honestly thought he would come home. At least 3 times he liked tweets suggesting he sign in Toronto. And his lame excuse is he accidentally liked them. So much BS in that. I am now convinced he had no intention to play here and only did what he did in an attempt to extort more from Tampa.
Now he's giving advice to John Tavares?

He could suffer a career ending injury/illness and I couldn't give a ****. Not that I'm hoping for that to happen, but this all tells me he's a piece of ****.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
That's almost $4M above the highest salaries in the league. And $5.5M more than he took in Tampa.

I'm not buying it. If that was his ask, he had zero intention of coming to Toronto because no way anyone is paying that.

First off, it's a negotiation process so you start high and witted down till both sides are equally happy.

It would never happen but reporters should be saying what the player expected or reporting what both opening offers were to give a better idea of what a contract might've looked like if it actually got to the point where they were putting ink to paper.

Now, that said, there was an article published last year around the draft detailing how a $14M contract for Stamkos could work, and make sense for Stamkos and the Leafs.

But it needed to be for 3 years max, and then Stammer would sign a $5 or $6M deal for 3-4 years.

So sorta a cap circumvention type deal because it assumes the player signs again after at a more favourable cap number, but it doesn't actually violate any rules in the CBA.

I think the issues with that strategy were that Stammer would push for 4 years and a bonus laden deal to have guaranteed income in the event of a lockout in 21-22 season when the current CBA can be subject to another strike or lockout.

Bonuses are guaranteed so players are trying hard to get that in their deals. But Stammer wouldn't be able to because a $14M cap hit basically neuters any chance the Leafs hold the roster together when Nylander/Marner/Matthews are done their ELCs.

Plus the $14M cap hit, while it works under the current cap for the Leafs, does mean they can't do anything else so if a super great opportunity comes up where the Leafs might add a great prospect by eating some salary, well, no way they could with Stamkos at $14M.

So those two reasons are why a $14M deal wouldn't work, even though on paper it could.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I am. I honestly thought he would come home. At least 3 times he liked tweets suggesting he sign in Toronto. And his lame excuse is he accidentally liked them. So much BS in that. I am now convinced he had no intention to play here and only did what he did in an attempt to extort more from Tampa.

He could suffer a career ending injury/illness and I couldn't give a ****. Not that I'm hoping for that to happen, but this all tells me he's a piece of ****.

Who the hell cares.

1) He can like whatever he wants on twitter.

2) He can tell Tavares whatever he wants.

3) Stamkos isn't even that good anymore. In 3 years, Matthews will be better than Stamkos, and Stamkos will be wishing he was part of a contending Leafs team. Only, as others have mentioned, it will be too late and he will never get that privilege. The Leaf goes on.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Well perhaps the Leafs dodged a bullet in this case given some of the opinions opined.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

why do you care? like seriously - there are a lot of people who want to be Maple Leafs and who are here, focus on them.

Covenant

Jun 4, 2006
I'm not sure Stamkos is worth what Tampa is paying him. He's worth nothing close to 14 mil.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm disappointed he didn't choose to come back to Toronto after so much speculation over the past couple of seasons when we had nothing to look forward to. He always had that future Leaf vibe about him like some star Ontarians. But at the end of the day, I can't help but think the version of Stamkos I really wanted to see here was that 19-23 year old version who lit the league on fire and looked like he was closing the gap on Sidney Crosby before the leg injury. I'm not sure that player exists anymore, and I'm a bit relieved its not Toronto's money on the line.

As far as Tavares is concerned, to me, I don't even want him. He can stay on the Island and do whatever there.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
why do you care? like seriously - there are a lot of people who want to be Maple Leafs and who are here, focus on them.

...or do both? Discussing topics as they come up seems like a pretty logical stance for a message board poster.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008

Am I not allowed to voice my opinion on a message board?

Are you the anointed one to decide what some should care about?

And actually I really don't care, just voicing my opinion.

Why the hostility from you who is one of the better posters on here?

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I'm disappointed he didn't choose to come back to Toronto after so much speculation over the past couple of seasons when we had nothing to look forward to. He always had that future Leaf vibe about him like some star Ontarians. But at the end of the day, I can't help but think the version of Stamkos I really wanted to see here was that 19-23 year old version who lit the league on fire and looked like he was closing the gap on Sidney Crosby before the leg injury. I'm not sure that player exists anymore, and I'm a bit relieved its not Toronto's money on the line.

As far as Tavares is concerned, to me, I don't even want him. He can stay on the Island and do whatever there.

I agree on the first part. As for JT I'd love him here BUT I hope the media leaves him alone even if he does like tweets linking him to the Leafs......accidentally of course:laugh:

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

It's tragic, in a way. In another universe, Stamkos would have been great here. When we lost out on the chance to draft Stamkos back in game 82 in 2008, I'm sure we all thought that 7-8 years later, the Leafs would be a great team once again, and in a position to attract and sign Stamkos. And when Stamkos kept lighting it up year after year, he was doing his part to make himself attractive to us.

Fast forward to 2016. The Leafs are not yet contenders when we should have been, and Stamkos is no longer that 50 goal scorer or top point getter. Both sides didn't hold up to their end of the bargain. So it's no big loss.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Am I not allowed to voice my opinion on a message board?

Are you the anointed one to decide what some should care about?

And actually I really don't care, just voicing my opinion.

Why the hostility from you who is one of the better posters on here?

no - but i mean, you sounded hostile, like saying he could suffer a career ending injury and you couldn't even care. that just sounds rough.

and i was seriously wondering why do you care if he gives Tavares advise? I mean McDavid did the same thing regarding Matthews. it just seems that's what most players do, especially when linked to Toronto because everything gets blown up here.

i just mean, he didn't want to be here. so why focus on that sad? I mean you don't have to, but we've got a lot of exciting things coming up and hopefully (my wish) we show people who DON'T want to be here (Stamkos included) what they miss by not signing here. i'm sorry that you find that hostile, but i don't know why you just singled me out - and someone else asked you the exact same thing.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
no - but i mean, you sounded hostile, like saying he could suffer a career ending injury and you couldn't even care. that just sounds rough.

and i was seriously wondering why do you care if he gives Tavares advise? I mean McDavid did the same thing regarding Matthews. it just seems that's what most players do, especially when linked to Toronto because everything gets blown up here.

i just mean, he didn't want to be here. so why focus on that sad? I mean you don't have to, but we've got a lot of exciting things coming up and hopefully (my wish) we show people who DON'T want to be here (Stamkos included) what they miss by not signing here. i'm sorry that you find that hostile, but i don't know why you just singled me out - and someone else asked you the exact same thing.

Didn't notice anyone elses post but yours. I actually read most of your posts as I enjoy them. Especially in the game threads.

Just pisses me off that so many Leafs fans (including me) were convinced Stamkos was coming home and it was all on him as he liked tweets that he should play here.......now he emphasizes it was accidental. You don't accidently "like" three tweets, one yeah, not three. I call BS on that, he's lying IMO. Just did it to try to get more out of Tampa.
I'm actually glad now he didn't sign here, just doesn't seem to be a man of integrity to me.
They said he was chuckling talking to Tavares, which he has the right to do...never said he didn't just seems like a major dick move.

I never wished him to get injured....I couldn't care less if he does though.

That's enough said on Steven Stamkos for me.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Didn't notice anyone elses post but yours. I actually read most of your posts as I enjoy them. Especially in the game threads.

Just pisses me off that so many Leafs fans (including me) were convinced Stamkos was coming home and it was all on him as he liked tweets that he should play here.......now he emphasizes it was accidental. You don't accidently "like" three tweets, one yeah, not three. I call BS on that, he's lying IMO. Just did it to try to get more out of Tampa.
I'm actually glad now he didn't sign here, just doesn't seem to be a man of integrity to me.
They said he was chuckling talking to Tavares, which he has the right to do...never said he didn't just seems like a major dick move.

I never wished him to get injured....I couldn't care less if he does though.

That's enough said on Steven Stamkos for me.

thanks, for the compliment.

i do agree with you on the liking thing. just own your crap on that. you don't do it three times by accident. my feeling is how it played out. he wanted more money in Tampa, didn't get it - and got cold feet about playing here because we aren't that good yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad