Rumor: Stamkos Ask from Toronto was 14M AAV

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
That's almost $4M above the highest salaries in the league. And $5.5M more than he took in Tampa.

I'm not buying it. If that was his ask, he had zero intention of coming to Toronto because no way anyone is paying that.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
That's almost $4M above the highest salaries in the league. And $5.5M more than he took in Tampa.

I'm not buying it. If that was his ask, he had zero intention of coming to Toronto because no way anyone is paying that.

Marek isn't someone to pull something out of his butt to get hits/views or anything. we were talking about this in the around the league thread.

though honestly, it doesn't matter if it was or not, he chose Tampa. so whatever.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I doubt it.

Only way that's true if it was a short term contract.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
At the end of the day, he got cold feet and stayed where he was comfortable. No shame in that and I hope he's happy with that decision in the long run. With that said, I hope he fails miserably and regrets every second of his decision... c'est la vie.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
If true, just goes to show how much smarter this management group is than any other in recent memory.

Wouldn't have been surprised if Nonis and co would do the 14 mil.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Lets face it, his decision wasn't about money. There were some rumours that the Leafs would go as high as 10 million, but not sure how true this was. There was also the story they had lined up about 4 million a year in endorsements that wouldn't count against the cap. Certainly looks like he left quite a bit of money on the table to stay in Tampa, so you have to respect that.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Marek isn't someone to pull something out of his butt to get hits/views or anything. we were talking about this in the around the league thread.

though honestly, it doesn't matter if it was or not, he chose Tampa. so whatever.

He also could've wanted that $14M hand-delivered by Batman riding in on a unicorn and had as much chance of it happening.

He wanted well over $10-$12M. He may have mentioned $14M as a tactic (asking for the moon, so you're real request seems better). No one in their right mind would ever believe any team would pay out $14M. He just came off a serious condition causing him to miss a large number of regular season/playoff games and he thinks a team's going to pay the max?

There is a difference between what someone "wants" and "asks for" when it comes to negotiations.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Lets face it, his decision wasn't about money. There were some rumours that the Leafs would go as high as 10 million, but not sure how true this was. There was also the story they had lined up about 4 million a year in endorsements that wouldn't count against the cap. Certainly looks like he left quite a bit of money on the table to stay in Tampa, so you have to respect that.

from what I heard, the Leafs offer was what Tampa's original offer was. 8.5 for 5 years/6 years.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I would be curious to see how close $14M after Canadian taxes equates to $8.5M no state tax in FL comes to each other. The valuation between US$ and Can$ shouldn't matter as all contracts have to be paid in US$ (I think).

As another poster said, none of this matters. He chose Tampa. But I respect that TOR fans want to discuss it.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
At the end of the day, he got cold feet and stayed where he was comfortable. No shame in that and I hope he's happy with that decision in the long run. With that said, I hope he fails miserably and regrets every second of his decision... c'est la vie.

:laugh: pretty much. like I said - if he wants to stay in Tampa, and be closer to win a cup and all of that jazz, and be where he wants to be comfortable, that's his choice, and whatever.

but i'm with you. like. I hope Toronto wins a cup before Tampa does. and then there's that eternal "what if." doubt. and I hope whomever is in charge bypasses him if he's ever available for whatever reason. Toronto is no longer the place to fulfil your childhood dream after you've gone and done whatever you accomplished. if you can't help us when you're good, we don't want you when you're a dried ole husk of your former self.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I would be curious to see how close $14M after Canadian taxes equates to $8.5M no state tax in FL comes to each other. The valuation between US$ and Can$ shouldn't matter as all contracts have to be paid in US$ (I think).

As another poster said, none of this matters. He chose Tampa. But I respect that TOR fans want to discuss it.

No, it isn't that bad.

There is a calculator here.

ttoFOsA.png

$8.5m after tax is $5.2m in Tampa.

To get the same $5.2m in Toronto, he'd have to get paid $11m.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Someone is angling for a spot as an "insider" I see.

This kind of vague reporting is the dirt worst in my opinion. Not gentleman like.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
from what I heard, the Leafs offer was what Tampa's original offer was. 8.5 for 5 years/6 years.

There could be truth to it as part of contract negotiation.

Agents over ask (e.g. 14M) then club counter with a lowball offer = meet in the middle and salary is determined.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
No, it isn't that bad.

There is a calculator here.

ttoFOsA.png

$8.5m after tax is $5.2m in Tampa.

To get the same $5.2m in Toronto, he'd have to get paid $11m.

Basd on $8.5 million US salary.

In Tampa Stamkos gets $5,177,830.05 after taxes.
In Toronto Stamkos gets $3,983,917.03 after taxes.

The difference is $1,193,913.02

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Doesn't really pass the smell test. If he was chasing dollars, why did he end up signing for 8.5 in Tampa? Wouldn't he have taken the best offer available? (And yes, after taxes, there still would have been much better offers than what he got in Tampa.)

In any event, no way is he worth a max contract - only would give that out to 99 or 66. I think what he took from Tampa was about fair for what he provides, which is freakishly good scoring, but otherwise good but not great. If he starts putting up Hull-like numbers with the smaller goalie equipment, then it turns out to be a team-friendly contract - otherwise, it was about right.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

Everyone is making the point about taxes.

I'm not sure if this was discussed before, but if he is getting paid 10 mil in USD and living in Canada, it would feel like you are being paid more after the exchange.

10,000,000 USD = 12,894,550 CAD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad