Stamkos and a Finn or Matthews and 10 million in Cap Space

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
When Stamkos signs a contract with the leafs I'll believe it for starters. Actually when he goes Ufa i will believe he will sign with the leafs.

I am content ignoring the T-Bay situation and Stamkos and drafting and building through the draft for as long as it takes.

I think if Stamkos became available and we could sign him we do it. Only because though that there will be enough talent in the system after this draft to do it.

There would be circumstances where i wouldn't sign Stamkos. Its all about the draft, developing, promoting and competing and then contending cycle for me.

Its a 10, 11 or 12 year cycle and then you hope to get a cup in that time because you strip down and do it all over again with the exact same process.

Stamkos fits in this rebuild at this time. Cap room has to be present every season regardless if you are building or contending i believe. Cap room has nothing but positives in general and its a must of any plan.

I voted for the first overall pick and $10,000,000 cap space and would likely vote the same every time up to putting the team in cup winning position.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Matthews and the cap space. Then use the cap space to sign Stamkos.

That was going to be my answer as well. :)

Cap space is only an asset if you have someone worthy of applying that free space towards and Stamkos would be ideal for the Toronto market.

Otherwise Stamkos + Laine/Puljujarvi is >>>>>>> Matthews and underspending the cap ceiling by $10 mil.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
It is Matthews - not that I don't want Stamkos or don't think the Fins are a gem; but if we are given the choice, we take the cost controlled bonafide number 1 C. We may not be a better team next year, but will be a better team in 5 years (IMO)

With the extra cap space, and Lu at the helm - we build our team, not force anything.
Maybe we miss on Stamkos, but we have a ton of prospects to build on - and other FAs will want to be apart of this future.

Last edited:

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
If we get Stamkos and draft Matthews, I'm walking around town with a permanent grin and both middle fingers up.

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
I don't understand the argument of "take the cap space because we will need it to to sign other guys.." but why cant stamkos just be that guy?? Let's be honest, no one in our system has the goal scoring capability of stammer. Even kessel couldnt touch stamkos' numbers. You can save cap space in other areas...its working fine for chicago and LA

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Chose Matthews, that cap space will be useful in keeping our young guys together and possibly addressing the defense which is the next biggest concern along with goaltender. I feel pretty safe with a Matthews-Nylander 1-2 punch down the middle.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
It is Matthews - not that I don't want Stamkos or don't think the Fins are a gem; but if we are given the choice, we take the cost controlled bonafide number 1 C. We may not be a better team next year, but will be a better team in 5 years (IMO)

With the extra cap space, and Lu at the helm - we build our team, not force anything.
Maybe we miss on Stamkos, but we not have legit prospects to build on - and other FAs will want to be apart of this future.

I think we improve immensely once we have talent like Marner and Nylander plus our 2016 pick in the lineup over guys like Parenteau, Winnick, Clune, etc.

Even at 19/20 those high end 1st rounders can contribute. It's finding consistency that will take a while and by that point the Brown's and Bracco's and Dermott's will be ready to hit the big club if they're not there already.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Chose Matthews, that cap space will be useful in keeping our young guys together and possibly addressing the defense which is the next biggest concern along with goaltender. I feel pretty safe with a Matthews-Nylander 1-2 punch down the middle.

We already established cap is not an issue. Also they will never keep everyone together anyways so get used to it. We'll be recycling prospects or young players fairly often.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site

How can you feel safe with two players who have never played in the NHL? That's a little too risky for my bones. I'll take the bonafide center, draft a top-3 player, and worry about paying our "young guys" later down the road when they've actually proven something in the NHL.

In fact I would bet everything that Nylander and Marner won't be going from entry level contracts to highly expensive contracts one-after-the-other. And if they do, i'm laughing all the way to the bank because it means they didn't bust. And with players like that, you have flexibility if money is an issue. Because there will always be a demand for elite talent. And that includes Stamkos.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Maybe we miss on Stamkos, but we not have legit prospects to build on - and other FAs will want to be apart of this future.

Yep exactly. Its situational except when it comes to flexability and cost efficiency for quality. It applies at present(meaning after this draft) that Stamkos would fit. Only if we still have cap space though. The leafs should always have 7% to 10% cap space even with a competitive lineup.

If that is not possible then you manage your assets and maintain the plan. 7 to 10% cap space at any point in the season is such a cushion to meet changing situations like injuries.

Solid players come available for trade during seasons and you need cap space to be a player in adding assets.

I personally could be content without spending on Stammer and continue building with top picks for two more seasons.

Last edited:

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Cap space is a very valuable thing to have in the NHL these days with growing player salaries. We have guys looking for raises and will need the money to do so. Matthews plus cap space.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Mathews an 10 million in a space. I'd use the 10 million to sign Stamkos. Great poll :laugh:

Edit: upon reading further down, I see this is an obvious move.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I can't pick so I did't vote right now. Matthews + 10M cap space gives us a #1C and a ton of flexibility. Stamkos + a Finn gives us a top line player (C or W TBD) and a top line prospect (75% likely winger).

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yep exactly. Its situational except when it comes to flexability and cost efficiency for quality. It applies at present(meaning after this draft) that Stamkos would fit. Only if we still have cap space though. The leafs alway have 7% to 10% cap space even with a competitive lineup.

If that is not possible then you manage your assets and maintain the plan. 7 to 10% cap space at any point in the season is such a cushion to meet changing situations like injuries.

Solid players come available for trade during seasons and you need cap space to be a player in adding assets.

I personally could be content without spending on Stammer and continue building with top picks for two more seasons.

Leafs haven't had a competitive line-up since they implemented a salary cap. So how would we know they always have a 7% - 10% cap space while being competitive? Shortened season is an aberration and should be discarded and disregarded for reasons clearly shown from both before and after that aberration.

Stamkos is completely unrelated to where the Leafs draft, and has no bearing on max contracts offered to drafted players.

If Leafs win the lottery they get Matthews, if they don't they'll still get a very good player in the top 5.

Do Leafs change their thoughts on Stamkos if they win the lottery?

I think they have to sign Stamkos if he is available. I don't have a good feeling about the results though.

So I'll go with loss of 10 million in cap space regardless of where they draft.

Stamkos and one of the top 5 picks.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
No burder and a 1C - yes please.
Stammer isn't a burder, but the cap would hurt at that price. I am in the category of 'He will need to want the Leafs as much as we want him' for it to work. If he is looking for a payday, which I don't blame him, go somewhere else.

Money for the youth and controlled assets is crucial - we should be looking to pick up a final piece when we've developed an NHL roster.

That being said, if Stamkos wants to come here at a good price - and be apart of what we have going; I am ecstatic.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
these options make no sense. They're completely unrelated. Signing Stamkos doesn't prevent up from picking 1st overall and vice versa.

I know that. The odds of both happening aren't very high though. This is more of a 'if you could only choose one which would you choose" type question.

I thought the post would be fairly obvious that if you take Matthews you don't get Stamkos and vice versa but maybe it it wasn't. Let's say Stamkos only wants to come on the contingency that one of the Finns is drafted for whatever reason

Last edited:

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Stamkos might be in decline / will eventually decline. Paying for a depreciating asset when there's an option to otherwise isn't really an option at all.

Matthews and 10 million in cap space.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Without using the cheat-code of getting Matthews and using the cap space to get Stamkos, I go with Stamkos and a Finn.

Reason being, that's two elite pieces guaranteed. That cap-space is great, but it's still sometime away before we have to worry about contracts for Marner, Nylander and that Finn we drafted(hypothetical)

Imagine...

JVR-Stamkos-Marner
Laine-Nylander-Kadri

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Without using the cheat-code of getting Matthews and using the cap space to get Stamkos, I go with Stamkos and a Finn.

Reason being, that's two elite pieces guaranteed. That cap-space is great, but it's still sometime away before we have to worry about contracts for Marner, Nylander and that Finn we drafted(hypothetical)

Imagine...

JVR-Stamkos-Marner
Laine-Nylander-Kadri

I imagine a different scenario where Stamkos continues his decline in production and we're paying him 10 million per season for 60pts. near year five of his seven year deal. Gross.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad