Player Discussion Stalock

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I thought the same thing, but maybe he really is just playing it safe?.... Imagine if Koski actually did get claimed: Our duo would then be a 39yr old starter and a complete unknown backing him up. Stalock hasn't played in forever - Is he even an NHL-level goaltender at this point (yet/again)?
I thought that's what we already had when I watched the last game?;)

Reactions: KirkW

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
TSN 1260 just said Ennis is on waivers and that was to open up a roster spot to add Stalock to the roster. Carrying three goalies on the main roster seems kind of odd, unless Holland is scared of losing Koskinen on waivers (ha!).
Likely will want to see if Stalock is still up to NHL quality, and if so, then he can feel comfortable about putting Koskinen on waivers.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Would love to see another look, for our tenders. Hope Stalock can help. Smith is playing great, but we will need another good option.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
*bump*

He seemed healthy enough to start one of the games near the end of last season but Tippett was obviously too scared to throw him into a game.

After another summer of strength and conditioning, is this enough to get Stalock's game back up to speed?

Any word on how he's feeling? If he's back to 100%, he could outplay Koskinen and take that #2 role (if Koskinen is still here in September/October)

He has played enough to take a 1b role before, think he could do it again?

Reactions: Arctic Fox

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
*bump*

He seemed healthy enough to start one of the games near the end of last season but Tippett was obviously too scared to throw him into a game.

After another summer of strength and conditioning, is this enough to get Stalock's game back up to speed?

Any word on how he's feeling? If he's back to 100%, he could outplay Koskinen and take that #2 role (if Koskinen is still here in September/October)

He has played enough to take a 1b role before, think he could do it again?

Honestly I can see it.

It shouldn't be plan A, but if no good options open up, I'm mostly okay telling Kosko to work something out in Europe, and rolling with Smith and Stalock to start the season.

Then see if any better options open up later in the year. (And no, I don't think someone like Georgiev counts as better).

Reactions: yukoner88

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Honestly I can see it.

It shouldn't be plan A, but if no good options open up, I'm mostly okay telling Kosko to work something out in Europe, and rolling with Smith and Stalock to start the season.

Then see if any better options open up later in the year. (And no, I don't think someone like Georgiev counts as better).

I dont think it's plan A either, nor do I want it to be, but I do find this as a better fall back option as you said.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I dont think it's plan A either, nor do I want it to be, but I do find this as a better fall back option as you said.

Yes, I don't see how Stalock has been relegated to 3rd string status.

In his last showing he had 38 games as a starter in Minny with a 91% SA and a 20-11 record. Those are pretty decent numbers.

Reactions: yukoner88

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

In his last showing he had 38 games as a starter in Minny with a 91% SA and a 20-11 record. Those are pretty decent numbers.

It's honestly probably a 3-way coin toss between Smith/Koskinen/Stalock as to who will have a better save percentage this year.

Team loves Smith... hates Koskinen and Stalock has zero history with the team as he's played no games in the past year so he's certainly the dark horse but could possibly be the best of the 3 if Smith actually plays like a 40 year old this year instead of like 25.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
It's honestly probably a 3-way coin toss between Smith/Koskinen/Stalock as to who will have a better save percentage this year.

Team loves Smith... hates Koskinen and Stalock has zero history with the team as he's played no games in the past year so he's certainly the dark horse but could possibly be the best of the 3 if Smith actually plays like a 40 year old this year instead of like 25.

It's a tough call on this goalie situation.

Perhaps its better to just bite the bullet and keep Kosko's salary for the year and that way the contract is off the books for the 2022-2023 season with no buyout hangover. They will have to give substantial raises to both Nurse and Puls for that 2022-23 season and according to my spreadsheet they will be up very tight against an assumed flat cap level that year so perhaps that is the best move.

And who knows maybe Skinner steps up at camp and seizes the backup spot? Stranger things have happened--especially when it comes to the Oilers.

Reactions: bucks_oil

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
they should have given him a bunch of the last 15 games before playoffs after they had seen koskinens previous body of work. (it was horrible).

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
they should have given him a bunch of the last 15 games before playoffs after they had seen koskinens previous body of work. (it was horrible).
Imagine if you're the coach. Playing Stalock makes sense for the GM but the coach just needs to win. Koskinen was bad to start but recovered in the last half. You would have done the same as Tippett

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
After that 4 goals on 4 shots fiasco... a game or two to Stalock wouldn't have been out of the question.

Indeed. It was a miss that he wasn't played at least one game after that. Maybe they were concerned about lingering health issues from the Covid? Otherwise, I don't see why he couldn't have started a meaningless game.

Reactions: Arctic Fox

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

It was a .910 SV% with the lowest xGA/60 in the entire league though.

That defense made him look a lot better than he is.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I think we can ride out 20 mediocre games from anybody…. As long as we have 30 good games from the other guy.

and that gets us to TDL in a playoff spot.

the last thing we should do is waste future cap on a buyout or a contract for a suboptimal starter.

we have <2 years to have an established, cap-reasonable starting goalie….

let’s play the long game here so as to avoid a costly misstep.

PS: Georgie is not it… much rather have Konovolov get a shot

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I see it as Smith is one goalie and you have as many as four competing to play behind him. Whoever wins that job should be someone Tippet and the players are comfortable with for 30-35 games.

I don't care if it's Skinner. Or Konolov. Or Stalock. Or even Koskinnen.

Opportunity is knocking. Let's see who takes it.

I agree...

It's far, far, far from ideal for this year's performance in the playoffs, but we are a long way from needing our May roster settled.

But it is better for the long game if we don't sign another Talbot like or Koskinen like contract on a guy we hope will we a minor upgrade. Those sorts of contracts will hinder us in the very near term.

If a rookie steps in, we are gold, with plenty of cap next summer to address other weaknesses.

If a rookie doesn't step in, we'll be in great shape next summer to sign a legit starter in the $6M range. I don't see that guy now and anyway we don't have the cap now. If we sign or trade for a $4Mish guy with term, we'll be on the perpetual rollercoaster of mediocre goaltending. What we'll need if nobody steps up is a 1-year stop-gap, which we can get at the TDL and then re-evaluate next summer.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
I agree...

It's far, far, far from ideal for this year's performance in the playoffs, but we are a long way from needing our May roster settled.

But it is better for the long game if we don't sign another Talbot like or Koskinen like contract on a guy we hope will we a minor upgrade. Those sorts of contracts will hinder us in the very near term.

If a rookie steps in, we are gold, with plenty of cap next summer to address other weaknesses.

If a rookie doesn't step in, we'll be in great shape next summer to sign a legit starter in the $6M range. I don't see that guy now and anyway we don't have the cap now. If we sign or trade for a $4Mish guy with term, we'll be on the perpetual rollercoaster of mediocre goaltending. What we'll need if nobody steps up is a 1-year stop-gap, which we can get at the TDL and then re-evaluate next summer.

Agree we need a young guy Skinner or Konavalov) to step up this year and play like Ned did in Carolina. That would solve a lot of problems.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Agree we need a young guy Skinner or Konavalov) to step up this year and play like Ned did in Carolina. That would solve a lot of problems.

agreed, or have koskinen come out looking like 2012 pekka rinne

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad