Player Discussion Stalock

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
When he was claimed off waivers, I distinctively remember Tippett saying Stalock needed time to practice and bring his conditioning up and it will be April before he gets a start.

April is now here so I think it's time to look into when we think he sees some game action.

When do we see him on the bench as the backup and when do we see him get his first start?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
TSN 1260 just said Ennis is on waivers and that was to open up a roster spot to add Stalock to the roster. Carrying three goalies on the main roster seems kind of odd, unless Holland is scared of losing Koskinen on waivers (ha!).

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
When he was claimed off waivers, I distinctively remember Tippett saying Stalock needed time to practice and bring his conditioning up and it will be April before he gets a start.

April is now here so I think it's time to look into when we think he sees some game action.

When do we see him on the bench as the backup and when do we see him get his first start?
I assume back up for next game, and probably a start against Vancouver on Saturday

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Carrying three goalies on the main roster seems kind of odd, unless Holland is scared of losing Koskinen on waivers (ha!).

I thought the same thing, but maybe he really is just playing it safe?.... Imagine if Koski actually did get claimed: Our duo would then be a 39yr old starter and a complete unknown backing him up. Stalock hasn't played in forever - Is he even an NHL-level goaltender at this point (yet/again)?

Reactions: McFuhryous

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I thought the same thing, but maybe he really is just playing it safe?.... Imagine if Koski actually did get claimed: Our duo would then be a 39yr old starter and a complete unknown backing him up. Stalock hasn't played in forever - Is he even an NHL-level goaltender at this point (yet/again)?

I won't exactly be mourning the loss of Koskinen if someone claimed him. Millions off the books and I'm sure Stalock could fill the void of .902 save % in a backup role.

Reactions: TKB21 and ujju2

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Yep, your thought process crossed my mind as well. I think the safe bet is to get Stalock in as a backup, see some action and see what the Oilers have in him before trading or waiving Koskinen.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I won't exactly be mourning the loss of Koskinen if someone claimed him. Millions off the books and I'm sure Stalock could fill the void of .902 save % in a backup role.

Just to clarify - neither would I.

Just that absolutely none of us here have any idea what we have in Stalock. The guy has some serious health concerns and hasn't played in ages. I'd want to see him at least get up to speed before we even consider the possibility of losing a proven (albeit poor) goalie in Koskinen.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The fact that Kosko hasn't been waived since he only has a NTC baffles me. He single handedly cost the Oilers so many games. It's so obvious how the Oilers are deflated after Kosko lets in a softie early in the game.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I doubt there will be a game Saturday.

Probably at this point, but Edmonton still needs to do their planning as if there will be a game. This at least allows flexibility as everyone on the roster right now has there waiver exemption expired since Shore has played 10 since recall, so this was a necessary step to gain a bit of flexibility to add either Bouch or Stalock to the roster again since Tippett seems to prefer Shore to Ennis right now.

If Stalock can play, it may be worth waiving Koskinen as I doubt he gets grabbed at his cap hit next year, and if by chance he did get snagged, it could hurt for this seasons run if Smith or Stalock get nicked up, but it definitely would help the situation when they go offseason shopping for a goalie.

I could be wrong but I don’t think Koskinen can be put on waivers because of his limited NMC.

Its a modified NTC, so I don't think he has an NMC. It's also why we could expose him at the draft if we wanted to.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The fact that Kosko hasn't been waived since he only has a NTC baffles me. He single handedly cost the Oilers so many games. It's so obvious how the Oilers are deflated after Kosko lets in a softie early in the game.

The Oilers haven't have a really had viable alternative to him as we can't go to war with Dylan Wells as the game day backup for a prolonged stretch. Hopefully Stalock comes in and looks decent to make this an option. Right now, I still rather have Kosko as the guy to fill in if Smith get injured, but he's also much less likely to get claimed than Stalock would be due to contracts and Minnesota would likely be glad to stash him on their taxi if he went through again.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
It should be interesting how this shakes out.

Stalock was allocated to IR as per capfriendly for the last few weeks.
If he is activated soon, I would like to see him get a couple starts...and hopefully play well.

I could envision the Oilers protecting Stalock and exposing Koskinen for the exp. draft as Stalock is signed cheaply for the 2021-22 season.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Also im guessing Oilers may be trying to gain as much cap space as they can leading up to the TD

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Also im guessing Oilers may be trying to gain as much cap space as they can leading up to the TD

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
I'll be super pissed if Ennis gets claimed to save Koskinen, and I'm not even a Koskinen hater. Busy day so I didn't see if Kosk can't be waived due to his NMC/NTC.

Reactions: ujju2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Yeah, waiving Ennis is dumb af imo. I've really liked his play this season. Anyways I do hope Stalock proves to be an upgrade on Koski.

Reactions: dssource

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad