Player Discussion Stalock

Ementy

May 11, 2010
Hopefully he took notes on what his running mate did last offseason in training with the guy Hellebyuck does, along with a handful of others
He probably stands in net with rage face for 12 hrs a day and yells AGAIN AGAIN. as he gets Sheldon Souray to blast slap shots at his glove. (Sheldon Souray was not injured in the making of this post or actually involved in shooting pucks at Koski)

Reactions: yukoner88

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The good news is Koskinen is in a contract year.

Seems a bunch of these Euro Goalies put up better numbers when they're in their UFA years.

Grubauer put up .925 in his first contract year with Washington.
Then .926 his next contract.
Last year he put up .922 this past season.

He's a solid goalie who always puts up career highs in his contract years.

Varlamov - same story
.924 his first contract year
.927 his second contract

Haha I doubt it? But maybe Kosko puts up .920?

XD hhahaha

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
He probably stands in net with rage face for 12 hrs a day and yells AGAIN AGAIN. as he gets Sheldon Souray to blast slap shots at his glove. (Sheldon Souray was not injured in the making of this post or actually involved in shooting pucks at Koski)

And then becomes a world class golfer for a tour, thus saving his grandmother's house from repossession

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
https://thehockeywriters.com/oilers...NRLd9vpwCxhPe-8zRol6eJl6okRbck0Weq_K6v_RbKjaQ

I know that a lot of fans aren’t counting on Stalock to be anything but I think there’s a chance he ends up being a decent 1B to play with Smith.

He had the second highest save percentage (yes it was meme stats but keep in mind it is 4 on 4 hockey) in DBL. Not sure who was 1st.

He’s going to be really motivated to extend his NHL career so if anything, Koskinen can’t come back playing as poorly as he did to end the season

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yes, I don't see how Stalock has been relegated to 3rd string status.

In his last showing he had 38 games as a starter in Minny with a 91% SA and a 20-11 record. Those are pretty decent numbers.
Because he isn't as good as his numbers in that season suggest. He never has been. He was propped up by a good defense. He's 3rd string because he is our 3rd best goalie. Part of me hopes we lose him via waivers this year, because he is good enough to be a backup behind a solid starter, but I don't know if we are running the type of system we need to for him to be a good 1B behind Smith. The other option of course is to waive Koskinen and hope someone takes him.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
Because he isn't as good as his numbers in that season suggest. He never has been. He was propped up by a good defense. He's 3rd string because he is our 3rd best goalie. Part of me hopes we lose him via waivers this year, because he is good enough to be a backup behind a solid starter, but I don't know if we are running the type of system we need to for him to be a good 1B behind Smith. The other option of course is to waive Koskinen and hope someone takes him.
I wouldn't say that in his 151 game career his save percentage is .909
So pretty much the same as that year

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The good news is Koskinen is in a contract year.

Seems a bunch of these Euro Goalies put up better numbers when they're in their UFA years.

Grubauer put up .925 in his first contract year with Washington.
Then .926 his next contract.
Last year he put up .922 this past season.

He's a solid goalie who always puts up career highs in his contract years.

Varlamov - same story
.924 his first contract year
.927 his second contract

Haha I doubt it? But maybe Kosko puts up .920?

XD hhahaha
The bad news is that if he does that, he could well get a contract extension, ha ha ha.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I wouldn't say that in his 151 game career his save percentage is .909
So pretty much the same as that year
Average save percentage behind a very good defense isn't anything to get excited about. He's been a good backup for a long time, that's true, so for cap reasons it might be smart to dump Koskinen in the minors somewhere (we can bury more on Koskinen's deal than Stalock makes), but Smith - Stalock doesn't bring any more confidence in me than Smith - Koskinen does.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
Average save percentage behind a very good defense isn't anything to get excited about. He's been a good backup for a long time, that's true, so for cap reasons it might be smart to dump Koskinen in the minors somewhere (we can bury more on Koskinen's deal than Stalock makes), but Smith - Stalock doesn't bring any more confidence in me than Smith - Koskinen does.
Yeah that's all I'm hoping that there's a chance he could be a decent back up

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm thinking maybe we should go with a three headed monster. We should expect that our back up plays a lot since Smith's ice time will be more managed. So, there will be a lot of games to let Stalock and Koskinen compete with each other. Smith can probably play all the games in the playoffs assuming he holds up.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think there's a decent chance they start the year with 3 goalies on the roster. I can't see them risking losing Stalock on waivers (as I think there's a very high chance he'd get picked off by a team with an injured goalie or by a team with uncertainty in their backup goalie)... hell the Flames could even do that as they have very unproven backup goalies and they love getting Oilers offcasts.

Reactions: Oilhawks

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Man that's tough news to hear that Stalock is still dealing with after effects from covid. I was really hoping he'd be able to bounce back and challenge Koskinen for that back up role. But sounds like his career is all but over if he can't get his conditioning back up due to his heart.

Guess that explains why he saw no action at the end of last season despite Koskinen's game going down the drain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad