OT: Stabbing at TD Garden Grizzlies/Celtics game

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
I have no stats to back it up, but IN MY OPINION, games, concerts, etc. were WAY more violent back in the 70s and 80s.

WAY more violent.

We had massive brawls in the Garden parking lot after High School hockey games for cryin out loud..

About 40 of us from work went to a Bruins/Habs game in the late 80s, and there were 3 or 4 of us in work the next day. The rest were in jail or the hospital.

Heck they didn't even allow Monday night games in Foxboro for 20 years, maybe more.

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
It IS lower than ever before. It would take me 100 pages to explain why the crime stats prior to the 90s are extremely flawed and underreport most if not every class of violent crime and most wouldn't understand it or even care to read that....and that's understandable. You have to have advanced knowledge and study in this area. The golden age of (lack of) crime is considered to be the 50s, but many studies have been done that show conclusively that we're even safer now than then, despite what the media would have you believe. I'm not guessing on this stuff. I dealt with this one on one and actually assisted both my undergrad criminology professor at Stonehill on a publication and worked directly with Jack Levin a year later at Northeastern during post grad with the research for the first edition of this novel:

http://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Statistics-Criminal-Justice-Research/dp/0132987309

You are 100% correct on this. There is plenty of data to back it up.

OutspokenMinority*

I have no stats to back it up, but IN MY OPINION, games, concerts, etc. were WAY more violent back in the 70s and 80s.

WAY more violent.

We had massive brawls in the Garden parking lot after High School hockey games for cryin out loud..

About 40 of us from work went to a Bruins/Habs game in the late 80s, and there were 3 or 4 of us in work the next day. The rest were in jail or the hospital.

Heck they didn't even allow Monday night games in Foxboro for 20 years, maybe more.

you waited until the games were over? pansies. we started riots right in the old barn. good times...

adolescent chaos is quite simply a lot of fun.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
It IS lower than ever before. It would take me 100 pages to explain why the crime stats prior to the 90s are extremely flawed and underreport most if not every class of violent crime and most wouldn't understand it or even care to read that....and that's understandable. You have to have advanced knowledge and study in this area. The golden age of (lack of) crime is considered to be the 50s, but many studies have been done that show conclusively that we're even safer now than then, despite what the media would have you believe. I'm not guessing on this stuff. I dealt with this one on one and actually assisted both my undergrad criminology professor at Stonehill on a publication and worked directly with Jack Levin a year later at Northeastern during post grad with the research for the first edition of this novel:

http://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Statistics-Criminal-Justice-Research/dp/0132987309

I'm speaking strictly from a womans perspective though. And in todays world it is MORE dangerous for us. Crime overall MAY be down, but in the world today, with all the threats and current threats, we should have proper protection. I've always felt like the garden had lax security. And the fact some kid brought a box cutter into the place concerns me. With all the drinking and drugging that goes in, a weapon isn't a good mix. Which is why I'm surprised it hadnt happened sooner.

I was questioned on the validity of my displeasure about the balcony seats. As a teenager it was bad place to be. As an adult now, I still wouldn't consider sitting there again. I'm only 24, but I'm very short and look about 16, so I'm a good target, sadly. Like I said before, unless I can get lodge, the balcony is off limits. My guy friends don't even sit there anymore. Its not worth the aggravation.

I'm just saying that it is VERY easy to smuggle things into the garden. If someone wanted to pull something, they could. A little more security would be beneficial to all. Add a police officer to some of the isles. And trust me, I'm no fear monger. I just realize the reality of the world today and being a young women who HAS dealt and SEEN my fair share, I can't see why someone would be against a little increase security.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I'm speaking strictly from a womans perspective though. And in todays world it is MORE dangerous for us. Crime overall MAY be down, but in the world today, with all the threats and current threats, we should have proper protection. I've always felt like the garden had lax security. And the fact some kid brought a box cutter into the place concerns me. With all the drinking and drugging that goes in, a weapon isn't a good mix. Which is why I'm surprised it hadnt happened sooner.

The last sentence says it all. It hasn't happened sooner because the world is not as full of bad people as the media is trying to lead us to believe. Today's world is not more dangerous for men or women than any other time you choose to look at in the past. With all the current threats? Terrorists have been around basically since Adam and Eve. Social media/the media/the government blow this stuff waaaaaay out of proportion. They sell fear and business is going very well for them.

I was questioned on the validity of my displeasure about the balcony seats. As a teenager it was bad place to be. As an adult now, I still wouldn't consider sitting there again. I'm only 24, but I'm very short and look about 16, so I'm a good target, sadly. Like I said before, unless I can get lodge, the balcony is off limits. My guy friends don't even sit there anymore. Its not worth the aggravation.

I share season tix in section 302. Go to 10 games a year in those seats and another 10-15 in all other sections of the Garden, some loge and some balcony. I've literally never even witnessed a violent incident or even a real shouting match with opposing fans. Not one single incident of a girl of any age getting harassed, ever. The Garden has really become fairly wussified.

I'm just saying that it is VERY easy to smuggle things into the garden. If someone wanted to pull something, they could. A little more security would be beneficial to all. Add a police officer to some of the isles. And trust me, I'm no fear monger. I just realize the reality of the world today and being a young women who HAS dealt and SEEN my fair share, I can't see why someone would be against a little increase security.

Because it's a slippery slope. The closer you get to a police state, the easier it is to have all rights taken away.

Look, it's just as easy to sneak things into any other major league park in any city and it's even easier to sneak something into places with lot's of people with even less security like a restaurant, a bowling alley, an amusement park, a place of business, any large building in any major city, any minor league park, you name it. If the world was such a dangerous place and all these bad people were out there looking to do us harm, there would be shootings, etc at these types of places every day. Millions and millions of people frequent these establishments every year and violent incidents are EXTREMELY rare (especially outside the thug capitals of Oakland/San Fran/Seattle).

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
You make some solid points, but I disagree on many others.

Agree to disagree. :)

(Nice to see a discussion on here without name calling or otherwise. Its been awhile since I've seen it done.)

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
You make some solid points, but I disagree on many others.

Agree to disagree. :)

(Nice to see a discussion on here without name calling or otherwise. Its been awhile since I've seen it done.)

I think we can all agree on your last sentence. It's great!

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
For those that are complaining about being stuck in lines getting because of security there is a way to avoid it. Go into the Garden through the East End doors (the ones by the train station) or if you enter on the west end then walk around the line to go through he doors and then walk to the other end. The doors that are across from the Premium entrance are open for admission. There is usually just a few people using that entrance. You will have to walk up a couple flights of stairs and then you are in past the concourse turnstiles. I don't think that I have waited more than 2 minutes to get in and I usually do not go in until 20 to 30 minutes before game time.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Methinks he's goiung to be quite 'popular' in prison. My guess is he isnt so tough without a box cutter.

Braintree man held without bail in TD Garden stabbing
Brandon Jones, 20, of Braintree faces a charge of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, police said in a statement. Jones was arrested Thursday in Braintree.

Bail was set at $50,000 in the TD Garden case, but Jones’s open bail on two other cases in Quincy District Court was revoked; he was also held without bail pending a probation surrender hearing on a third case from Quincy, the Suffolk district attorney’s office said in a statement.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...en-stabbing/dyN9kSCdHn8rpeVbiIBJHL/story.html

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
United Center in Chicago EVERYBODY is wanded.

Bruins fans all seem to show up 15 minutes before the puck drops. Hopefully when they start developing the old Garden parking lot they will redesign the way fans enter the building.

All that crap is going on the same side as the current entrance. One entrance and everyone wants to arrive at the same time = the situation.

It gets worse when the playoffs start with people all arriving at once.

I remember despite being young when the old garden was still standing and the new place first opened I was expecting 4-5 more entrances :laugh: that never materialized its still the same escalators going to the same place. You could get into the old place from a few different approaches if I remember correctly.

It is honestly akin to there being no entrances to Fenway on Yawkey and everyone having to enter through one entrance on Landsdown. But to create new entrances I guess you have to build new construction over the train tracks. The highway and government building sides of the building were built to flow towards the lone entrance.

Basically you can't really make TD Garden not suck to get into without putting a lot of stuff over the train tracks and making people walk through the station and people don't come from that way since there are tracks of course.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Methinks he's goiung to be quite 'popular' in prison. My guess is he isnt so tough without a box cutter.

Brandon Jones, 20, of Braintree faces a charge of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, police said in a statement. Jones was arrested Thursday in Braintree.

Bail was set at $50,000 in the TD Garden case, but Jones’s open bail on two other cases in Quincy District Court was revoked; he was also held without bail pending a probation surrender hearing on a third case from Quincy, the Suffolk district attorney’s office said in a statement.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...en-stabbing/dyN9kSCdHn8rpeVbiIBJHL/story.html

What a winner. This only would've been better if he was from Weymouth instead.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

His parents must be so proud of him.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
On the Nashua St side by the elephant ramp there appeared to be plans to have an entrance there - there are even ticket windows that you can approach from the sidewalk but they have never been used.

The old Garden had entry from both the east and west ends but at TD everybody enters at the same point. No other arena is this messed up.

If they could just design a way to get to Level 2 WITHOUT going into North Station it would be a lot better.

All that crap is going on the same side as the current entrance. One entrance and everyone wants to arrive at the same time = the situation.

It gets worse when the playoffs start with people all arriving at once.

I remember despite being young when the old garden was still standing and the new place first opened I was expecting 4-5 more entrances :laugh: that never materialized its still the same escalators going to the same place. You could get into the old place from a few different approaches if I remember correctly.

It is honestly akin to there being no entrances to Fenway on Yawkey and everyone having to enter through one entrance on Landsdown. But to create new entrances I guess you have to build new construction over the train tracks. The highway and government building sides of the building were built to flow towards the lone entrance.

Basically you can't really make TD Garden not suck to get into without putting a lot of stuff over the train tracks and making people walk through the station and people don't come from that way since there are tracks of course.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Genius is now being held in Suffolk County (Nashua St) instead of his home county of Norfolk where the jail is in Dedham. He is in for quite a surprise.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
his alias being baby gangsta is the funniest thing i've ever seen

The Dangly One

Dangle dangle goal
Jun 13, 2011

WAY more violent.

Thanks for the nostalgia. Obviously we should go back to those days when you could beat an opposing fan to within an inch of their life and only get thrown in jail for a night

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad