OT: Stabbing at TD Garden Grizzlies/Celtics game

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Boston Globe said:
Police responded to TD Garden Wednesday night after a man was stabbed during the Boston Celtics game.

The victim was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital with injuries that were not considered life-threatening, according to David Estrada, a spokesman for Boston police. Officers responded to the incident shortly before 10 p.m., Estrada said.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...eltics-game/dO16irR0f1JJjurmMS3E0H/story.html

Not much more about the story yet from what I've heard. Supposedly the suspect was wearing a Rondo jersey. It happened at the very end of the 95-92 game, around 9:45.

I can say one thing: You can't talk about security at the Garden without using air quotes. I've gone in there numerous times with a lipstick-sized spare cell phone battery and cable that SHOULD set off metal detectors. Nada. Keys in pocket. Nada. Cell phone in pocket. Nada. I've given up on the whole charade of emptying out my pockets and holding metallic items in my hand while they wand me.

Open up the lines earlier - one hour may not be enough to screen 17000+ people adequately. Get more security and ticket scanners. Use the side stairwells, and let the "premium members" entrance be EITHER the west OR the east - and use the other one for the general public. If people whine about missing the puck drop/tip off/opening act, let them whine.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
We all know the design flaws of TD on entering the arena. The old Garden had its distinct east and west lobbies and entry was balanced.

We all know the drill as a good chunk of the crowd waits until 6:50 PM to head into the rink from all the bars in the area.

It has been better the last 8 years or so since Jacobs finally built a waiting room for North Station but it is still bad.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...eltics-game/dO16irR0f1JJjurmMS3E0H/story.html

Not much more about the story yet from what I've heard. Supposedly the suspect was wearing a Rondo jersey. It happened at the very end of the 95-92 game, around 9:45.

I can say one thing: You can't talk about security at the Garden without using air quotes. I've gone in there numerous times with a lipstick-sized spare cell phone battery and cable that SHOULD set off metal detectors. Nada. Keys in pocket. Nada. Cell phone in pocket. Nada. I've given up on the whole charade of emptying out my pockets and holding metallic items in my hand while they wand me.

Open up the lines earlier - one hour may not be enough to screen 17000+ people adequately. Get more security and ticket scanners. Use the side stairwells, and let the "premium members" entrance be EITHER the west OR the east - and use the other one for the general public. If people whine about missing the puck drop/tip off/opening act, let them whine.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
The thing im not a fan of is banning of backpacks but allowing huge purses in

Not a fear monger, but if you're going to suggest someone can bring explosives in a backpack, you can't tell me they can't in the gigantic purses I see plenty of people carrying around

Your metal detection story just sounds like an equipment issue

Id be interested to know how other arenas due it

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
The thing im not a fan of is banning of backpacks but allowing huge purses in

Not a fear monger, but if you're going to suggest someone can bring explosives in a backpack, you can't tell me they can't in the gigantic purses I see plenty of people carrying around

Your metal detection story just sounds like an equipment issue

Id be interested to know how other arenas due it

I've had the same experience with the metal detectors in Buffalo, I don't bother with taking anything out of my pocket and I have yet to set them off.

My concern is how safe is the Boston down town area in general?

I have my second trip booked for April 3rd weekend (finally going to see my Bruins at home) and this makes me worry. Is this isolated or does this happen often?

Is there areas I should stay away from? If anyone can recommend for safety I would appreciate it.
Keep in mind my friend and I are 6"3 250, but we don't get stabbed or shot well....

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I've had the same experience with the metal detectors in Buffalo, I don't bother with taking anything out of my pocket and I have yet to set them off.

I have my second trip booked for April 3rd weekend (finally going to see my Bruins at home) and this makes me worry. Is this isolated or does this happen often?

Is there areas I should stay away from? If anyone can recommend for safety I would appreciate it.
Keep in mind my friend and I are 6"3 250, but we don't get stabbed or shot well....

You will be 100% fine

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
maynard couldnt of said it any better

F all these gun-toting
Hip gangster wannabes.

Learn to swim.

OutspokenMinority*

i love sports fan fights. i just do. i find it completely entertaining. i accept it as a personal flaw.

OutspokenMinority*

for perspective, the vast majority of the tiny segment of the population that was actually in that arena not only was not involved in the incident, but had absolutely no idea it was happening.

of course if you are the type who likes to do verbal battle with opposing fans, particularly those who are clearly interested in causing trouble, then you're probably more likely to have a problem.

in closing, i'd like nothing more than the opportunity to come to the rescue of an opposing team's* fan if he is doing nothing wrong but is still being accosted or bothered by the local team's fans. we all need some righteous indignation every once in a while!

* does not apply to Habs fans. sorry. you made that bed and must now lie in it.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I'm surprised it hadnt happen before now, to be honest.

Especially during Hab/Bruins games. I've seen stuff get dicey. But during a Celtics game? THIS season? That's laughable.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I'm surprised it hadnt happen before now, to be honest.

Especially during Hab/Bruins games. I've seen stuff get dicey. But during a Celtics game? THIS season? That's laughable.

Think about the crouds though. Hockey fans are gonna be more inclined to use their fists, makes sense to me an individual like the one in the video would pull a knife because he's a fake tough guy and knows he wouldn't win without it

But Ya especially this season, laughable all around :laugh:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

F off with the asking for increased security I can't stand this blind mouse mentality of "please take some of my rights away because government and powers at be can use my rights better than I can" when one isolated event happens. I fly a lot and am outraged at the TSA crap that goes on because of a single terrorist event 15 years ago.

I was at the game last night and had no clue this happened and had a great time as did the rest of the crowd the game was awesome.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
F off with the asking for increased security I can't stand this blind mouse mentality of "please take some of my rights away because government and powers at be can use my rights better than I can" when one isolated event happens. I fly a lot and am outraged at the TSA crap that goes on because of a single terrorist event 15 years ago.

I was at the game last night and had no clue this happened and had a great time as did the rest of the crowd the game was awesome.

Indeed, the thought process is horrific.

As far as metal detectors overall there are many very deadly composite knives/weapons available and any moron with access to some thick plexiglass can figure out a DIY version.

Hnidy Hnight

Dec 21, 2006
North of Boston, MA

I was in 304 last night and didn't notice it either. Awesome game though, its a shame this incident stole the headlines from it. I doubt we'll see too much increased security. If the Avicii incident didn't get them patting down people, nothing will

Tuukkaraski

Mar 25, 2013
I have only been to one Bruins game (vs the Habs) but showed up a little late (about 2-3 mins after puck drop). Got my ticket scanned and figured they would wand me but they didn't, they just waived us through. I guess it's a good thing they didn't wand me as I am full of metal implants anyway.

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
I agree with most. Increased security won't help stupid people doing cowardly acts.
You know what will help, standing up for people who are bullied and in situations that can lead to violence. The cowards are gonna sneak weapons in but it takes the public to keep them from using them.
I'm glad to hear this is an isolated incident and can't wait for April 3-5 to enjoy your amazing city....

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
If someone handed me a thousand dollars and said it's mine if I went to a Celts game I would say no.

Truthfully it's hard to stomach the fans at Bruins games sometimes as all anyone seems to care about is the jumbo tron or updating Instagram or taking selfies.

Sports is best left for hd tv and a couch.

/oldguyrant

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
If someone handed me a thousand dollars and said it's mine if I went to a Celts game I would say no.

Truthfully it's hard to stomach the fans at Bruins games sometimes as all anyone seems to care about is the jumbo tron or updating Instagram or taking selfies.

Sports is best left for hd tv and a couch.

/oldguyrant

I agree, and it's sad. Hockey is still best viewed live. Too truly understand the game and watch plays set up, the behind the play stuff that goes on, all of it is better live.

I went to the first Islander game this year, my wife gets seats from Bud down on the glass. Half the crowd was more interested in taking pictures and playing with their cell phones than watching the game.

I really think the reason I tend to go to more AHL game, besides the price and more physical nature of the game at the AHL level, is because you can usually find a empty row or section of seats you can sit in with whoever you are with and just enjoy the game without the nonsense.

I also completely agree that we have given away too many of our rights out of fear. I really don't like being treated like a felon because I'm going to a concert or game and "for everyone's safety" in some places, you are almost strip searched.

I'm going to a couple of Dropkick Murphy shows this weekend and I fully expect the usual "remove your hat, any and all objects from your pockets" then get patted down and wanded. A couple years ago when they played the Garden we were lead through the bowels of the garden, up stair cases, given wrist bands, had the wrist bands double checked and finally lead onto the floor where there was a no fly zone around the boards with a security guard every 10 feet,I had to sneak off the floor to go sit in the upper arena.

I haven't flown since 9-11 and one of the reasons is the new safety requirements for flying. Nothing like being treated like a criminal when you have done nothing illegal.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Security at the Garden is a joke.

They only pat down the guys and barely search purses. All a girl has to do is put certain products in her bag and the male security guards wave them through. It wouldn't shock me that the box cutter was one of those that you keep on a key ring or if one of the girls in the 2nd fight brought it in.

It is much easier to get things in during the winter as you can stuff things in coat pockets, hats, gloves and wrap things up in scarves.

Fenway is way worse tho because they let you bring backpacks in. I almost flipped out on a woman when she dropped a backpack at my feet one game. I made sure security knew all about it but they couldn't do a thing at that point.

I hope the victim is ok.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA

I went to the first Islander game this year, my wife gets seats from Bud down on the glass. Half the crowd was more interested in taking pictures and playing with their cell phones than watching the game.

Sadly this is the truth. There's also no respect for fans watching the game. "A minute left in the period and the B's are on a powerplay, I better walk in front of everyone now to beat the lines for my giant pretzel! I'm gonna cover that mutha in mustard and instagram the heck out of it"
I love watching the game live, but the crowd was way better before the team won the cup. There were still the jack wagons, but way less. There was the occasional shoving match, but people were into the game and respected that fact that others were, too.
There will be the knee-jerk reaction that I don't like the success that the team has had as it happens when people complain about the ever rising ticket prices and family friendly garbage. That's just not true. But the success has had some large costs associated with it, and dealing with the mainstream Boston fan is a big one.

OutspokenMinority*

I agree, and it's sad. Hockey is still best viewed live. Too truly understand the game and watch plays set up, the behind the play stuff that goes on, all of it is better live.

I really think the reason I tend to go to more AHL game, besides the price and more physical nature of the game at the AHL level, is because you can usually find a empty row or section of seats you can sit in with whoever you are with and just enjoy the game without the nonsense.

I also completely agree that we have given away too many of our rights out of fear. I really don't like being treated like a felon because I'm going to a concert or game and "for everyone's safety" in some places, you are almost strip searched.

I'm going to a couple of Dropkick Murphy shows this weekend and I fully expect the usual "remove your hat, any and all objects from your pockets" then get patted down and wanded. A couple years ago when they played the Garden we were lead through the bowels of the garden, up stair cases, given wrist bands, had the wrist bands double checked and finally lead onto the floor where there was a no fly zone around the boards with a security guard every 10 feet,I had to sneak off the floor to go sit in the upper arena.

I haven't flown since 9-11 and one of the reasons is the new safety requirements for flying. Nothing like being treated like a criminal when you have done nothing illegal.

i always refuse the full body scanners, which of course leads to a pat down, but at least during the pat down i can make my disapproval relatively obvious in different ways. the body scanner, as far as i can tell, does not care.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

:laugh: My husband grew up in Belfast in the middle of The Troubles. Took him a long time to drop the habit of stopping in the doors of stores, movie theaters, etc. and spreading his arms for a body search.

Walk down the street and have British soldiers point a rifle at you (I experienced that while visiting his parents, several times). Get your car searched for no reason other than the neighborhood you're driving in. Get a gun held to your head because of the address on your driver's license (my husband went through that).

Americans have it easy. It's a dangerous world out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad