OT: Staal Brothers debate (for a limited time only!)

No Quarter*

Revised list since my first had some misunderstandings:

Weber
Suter
Chara
OEL
Kieth
Seabrooke
Mcdonagh
Doughty
Letang
Staal

Again I don't think it's that far fetched cause Staal is the only one nobody else seems to agree with so 9 outta 10 isn't that bad to me.
And also I know they're both former Norris winners but I love Karlsson but he's strictly offense to me and I hate Subban and besides his great shot I think he's the most overrated player in the league.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Maybe the mcdonagh is the other ranger I'm thinkin of and when I put down Larsson I was referring to Oliver eckman. And I didn't put Karlsson in there cause he's total off. And I think Subban is totally overrated.
So how is that a horrible top ten when Staal is the only one you don't agree with?

Staal shouldn't be there, and Seabrook sure as hell shouldn't be there. I don't know how you can think Subban is overrated and include Seabrook in your list.

In no particular order here's my list. Chara used to be there, but he's declined quite a bit. (I'm also assuming that Letang is playing the way he did this past playoffs and not the way he did in this past regular season.)

Weber
Doughty
Suter
Keith
Subban
OEL
Pietrangelo
McDonagh
Karlsson
Letang

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
Revised list since my first had some misunderstandings:

Weber
Suter
Chara
OEL
Kieth
Seabrooke
Mcdonagh
Doughty
Letang
Staal

Again I don't think it's that far fetched cause Staal is the only one nobody else seems to agree with so 9 outta 10 isn't that bad to me.
And also I know they're both former Norris winners but I love Karlsson but he's strictly offense to me and I hate Subban and besides his great shot I think he's the most overrated player in the league.

It's your opinion, but I'd take your list and any of the following over Staal:
Subban
Erik Karlsson
Vlasic
Hedman
Pietrangelo
Phaneuf
Faulk
Fowler
Shattenkirk
Carlson
Kronwall
Giordano
Andy Greene
Christian Ehrhoff
Bouwmeester
Jonas Brodin
Alex Edler
Jacob Trouba
Seidenberg
DeKeyser
Alzner
Seth Jones

No Quarter*

Staal shouldn't be there, and Seabrook sure as hell shouldn't be there. I don't know how you can think Subban is overrated and include Seabrook in your list.

In no particular order here's my list. Chara used to be there, but he's declined quite a bit. (I'm also assuming that Letang is playing the way he did this past playoffs and not the way he did in this past regular season.)

Weber
Doughty
Suter
Keith
Subban
OEL
Pietrangelo
McDonagh
Karlsson
Letang

You really don't think Seabrooke is one of the best?????

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
You really don't think Seabrooke is one of the best?????

Well I know this isn't to me but.

I'd take a lot of people over him.

I'm not even a Keith fan and I only put him in my top 10 because everyone else thinks he's all that and a bag of chips.

I said this in a thread during the playoffs and said I'd rather have a Martin and letang pairing over seabrooke and Keith.

That is just my opinion though

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site

I'm not even a Keith fan and I only put him in my top 10 because everyone else thinks he's all that and a bag of chips.

I said this in a thread during the playoffs and said I'd rather have a Martin and letang pairing over seabrooke and Keith.

why?

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

Yeah Keith just won the Norris and will for sure be one of the best of all time OFD and playing both on great ends. You really have something wrong with your logic.

Keith>>>Martin-Letang>Seabrook

No Quarter*

I really think Seabrooke is alot closer to Kieth than peoe give him credit.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Yeah Keith just won the Norris and will for sure be one of the best of all time OFD and playing both on great ends. You really have something wrong with your logic.

Keith>>>Martin-Letang>Seabrook

Letang is not in my top 10 either.

The Martin Letang pairing was putting two #1 defensemen on one line. And they did wonderful that pairing imo was almost Suter Weber like.

That pairing impressed me a lot and I did not expect Letang to come in and play like that. That is why I'd rather have that pairing.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I really think Seabrooke is alot closer to Kieth than peoe give him credit.

Seabrook is top 20, same as Paul Martin.

Weber
Doughty
Suter
Keith
Subban
OEL
Pietrangelo
McDonagh
Karlsson
Letang
Bouwmeester
Shattenkirk
Fowler
Vlasic
Phanuef
Martin
Seabrook

or something like that. That isn't really my final order.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Maybe the mcdonagh is the other ranger I'm thinkin of and when I put down Larsson I was referring to Oliver eckman. And I didn't put Karlsson in there cause he's total off. And I think Subban is totally overrated.
So how is that a horrible top ten when Staal is the only one you don't agree with?

Well for starters, you had Girardi and Larsson in there instead of McDonagh and OEL. That's quite a huge difference. Then you omit the best offensive defenseman in the league (Karlsson) and one of the better young defensemen in the league (Subban) in favor of Staal and Seabrook. That's 4 of your 10 guys I disagreed with.

In any case, my top ten *right this moment* would look something like (in no order):
Weber
Doughty
Keith
Suter
Pietrangelo
Hedman
Subban
McDonagh
Chara
Karlsson

HM: Letang, if he returns to form of a couple of years ago.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
In my opinion Marc is the best Staal at his position cause Eric never seemed to reach his scoring potential and isn't a top ten player in this league, maybe not even top 15. ....

So.....Marc is top 15? Cause that's what you're saying.

The Doof Warrior

Jan 12, 2009
Eric is a PPG in the playoffs (including being an absolute monster during their cup season/run), has scored 40 twice (almost 3 times) and has consistently put up around 70 points as a first liner. To me that's not bad at all for a first line center. When he has a good enough supporting cast he's very good. If I was drafting a team and I had a choice of either Eric for first line center or Marc as my number one dman, I'm taking Eric every time.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I would still rank them...

1. Eric
2. Jordan
3. Marc

Even though I think Jordan has the highest potential of them all, he has all the tools to be an amazing 2-way player that can also produce as a legit 1st line C, it's just too bad he chose to make it difficult to stay in Pittsburgh and wanted to play with his brother rather than success.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Jordan seems pretty easily number 3 to me. Eric and Marc are both clearcut 1st line / 1st pairing players at their respective positions. Jordan is a 2nd liner. You can make an argument for either of Eric or Marc being the best of the three, but I don't see how you can justify Jordan being ahead of either of the other two. Jordan doesn't have the production to be a 1C.

I'd say Eric, then Marc, then Jordan.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Jordan seems pretty easily number 3 to me. Eric and Marc are both clearcut 1st line / 1st pairing players at their respective positions. Jordan is a 2nd liner. You can make an argument for either of Eric or Marc being the best of the three, but I don't see how you can justify Jordan being ahead of either of the other two. Jordan doesn't have the production to be a 1C.

I'd say Eric, then Marc, then Jordan.

Jordan to me, seems like a kid that hasn't always believed he could do what he could do, then when he did, he wasn't ready or took on too much.

He's not a guy that can carry a line, I don't think any of the Staals are.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Marc isn't what he used to be. Jordan had a good season despite his numbers being down. Along with everyone else's on that team. His numbers should rebound big time playing with Semin next year. They seemed to have some decent chemistry from games I saw.

Hell, Eric is a shadow of what he used to be. Canes fans would rather see Jordan wear the C at this point.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Is Marc on a first pairing? I'm pretty sure he's not. At a glance, he spent only 20 minutes with McDonagh over his last 3 thousand played.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Is Marc on a first pairing? I'm pretty sure he's not. At a glance, he spent only 20 minutes with McDonagh over his last 3 thousand played.

No, but he's better than Girardi, who is on the first pairing. Either Martin or Letang is a 2nd pairing d-man more often than not using that standard, and Geno is a 2nd line center.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
No, but he's better than Girardi, who is on the first pairing. Either Martin or Letang is a 2nd pairing d-man more often than not using that standard, and Geno is a 2nd line center.

I'm not sure he's played to the level of a top pairing guy since he returned from his eye injury. Prior to the eye injury, he was entrenched as a #2. After? He seems closer to a high end second pairing guy now.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm not sure he's played to the level of a top pairing guy since he returned from his eye injury. Prior to the eye injury, he was entrenched as a #2. After? He seems closer to a high end second pairing guy now.

That's probably true. That still puts him ahead of Jordan, who is a middle of the road 2nd line center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad