OT: Staal Brothers debate (for a limited time only!)

No Quarter*

After a decade or so of Staal bros in the NHL, is it safe to say Marc is the best player of the 3?????

Last edited by a moderator:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Nope. Worst of the bunch, assuming we all keep pretending Jared doesn't exist.

No Quarter*

In my opinion Marc is the best Staal at his position cause Eric never seemed to reach his scoring potential and isn't a top ten player in this league, maybe not even top 15.
With Jordan he is what he is, a very solid two way player with great penalty killing skills, probably best suited for 3rd line center.
Where Marc is just a total beast of a two way Dman.
Take away Jordan and Eric's hardware and I'd prob want Marc over the other two.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I'm gonna need a couple more question marks before I entertain this query.

You probably want the NHL board for this one.

No Quarter*

How is Jordan a 3rd line center?
I didn't say he was a third line center, I said he was better suited as a third line center.
And why do I think that?????
Well he's not a real big point producer and he's a great shutdown forward.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Eric's the only one of the brothers who has ever had an "elite" season in the NHL. He's also the only one who is consistently a top line player. Marc had a bit of a fall after his eye injury, and is probably more a high end #3 or low end #2 right now. Jordan's probably #3 on the list. He'd probably need a couple of 30 goal seasons to surpass Marc, but just isn't the impact player Eric is (or was).

No Quarter*

Eric's the only one of the brothers who has ever had an "elite" season in the NHL. He's also the only one who is consistently a top line player. Marc had a bit of a fall after his eye injury, and is probably more a high end #3 or low end #2 right now. Jordan's probably #3 on the list. He'd probably need a couple of 30 goal seasons to surpass Marc, but just isn't the impact player Eric is (or was).

I would honestly say Eric is the most disappointing to me because besides the one season he hasn't done it again.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I would honestly say Eric is the most disappointing to me because besides the one season he hasn't done it again.

He's scored 40 goals twice in his career, and scored 30 goals three additional times. He's been a 70+ point guy eight times in his career.

We're comparing Eric to his brothers, not to whether or not he's as good as the best players in hockey. Eric has been a top line player for longer than any of his brothers, and his peak is better than any of his brothers'.

No Quarter*

He's scored 40 goals twice in his career, and scored 30 goals three additional times. He's been a 70+ point guy eight times in his career.

We're comparing Eric to his brothers, not to whether or not he's as good as the best players in hockey. Eric has been a top line player for longer than any of his brothers, and his peak is better than any of his brothers'.
My thing is that Eric isn't in my top 15 forwards in the league where Mark is definately in my top ten dmen.
And also I did realize Eric hit 40 twice.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
In my opinion Marc is the best Staal at his position cause Eric never seemed to reach his scoring potential and isn't a top ten player in this league, maybe not even top 15.
With Jordan he is what he is, a very solid two way player with great penalty killing skills, probably best suited for 3rd line center.
Where Marc is just a total beast of a two way Dman.
Take away Jordan and Eric's hardware and I'd prob want Marc over the other two.

Eric's a dog in recent years, but even out of shape and ambivalent, he's still a better player than Marc at Marc's absolute best.

And I don't understand where Marc Staal's a "two way beast." He's the most monodimensional of the three NHLers. There's little in the way of an offensive or transition game with him.

If you want a "two way player," you take Jordan, not Marc.

Finally, Marc is responsible for the most shameful display I've ever seen from a national hockey league player.

Instigates a fight with a guy he knows doesn't fight, then curls into a fetal position due to slaps. That's not the only time he instigated a fight and curled into a fetal position either.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I no particular order

Weber
Suter
Kieth
Chara
Doughty
Gerardi
Larsson
Seabrooke
Letang
Staal

No offense, but that's one of the worst top 10 lists I've seen on here. Larsson? Girardi? Staal? Ahead of Subban, McDonagh, OEL, Hedman, Pietrangelo, Karlsson? And that's just off the top of my head.

No wonder you rate Marc above Eric. You rate Marc at a level he's not even remotely close to.

No Quarter*

No offense, but that's one of the worst top 10 lists I've seen on here. Larsson? Girardi? Staal? Ahead of Subban, McDonagh, OEL, Hedman, Pietrangelo, Karlsson? And that's just off the top of my head.

No wonder you rate Marc above Eric. You rate Marc at a level he's not even remotely close to.

I have oel in there.

No Quarter*

Maybe the mcdonagh is the other ranger I'm thinkin of and when I put down Larsson I was referring to Oliver eckman. And I didn't put Karlsson in there cause he's total off. And I think Subban is totally overrated.
So how is that a horrible top ten when Staal is the only one you don't agree with?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad