Speculation: Staal as insurance?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
No. Staal is done
Hard to watch Perry and his veteran leadership leave. With solid, yet young C’s moving forward (Perry was a wing, I know), would signing Eric Staal to a one year contract, if he wants of course, be a good move? Paquette, Evans, Poehling, KK, Suzuki would benefit from a veteran.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I think it would be hilarious if he still manages to outplay KK.
But then you're giving a segment of the Habs fandom an easy excuse for KK's mediocre play. This way - with no Staal - it'll be more entertaining watching them come up with creative reasons.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Just sign Bozak to a year deal.

If KK struggles, Bozak is adequate enough offensively where he can move up in the lineup. If KK and Evans/Poehling show they can do a solid job in the middle 6, then Bozak can be moved down in the lineup or traded if necessary.

Sucks losing Perry/Weber's leadership, but we still have plenty of leadership and have added guys like Savard/Paquette who have won a cup and can help with the leadership aspect.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Aside from a couple of cool goals , Staal was for the most part completely useless most of the time. He just doesn't have the footspeed to follow anymore and doesn't really compensate with anything else like Perry does

He was once a great player but the ship has sailed and he's pretty much done. Pass (even as a 1 year insurance policy)

Reactions: AcadiaAxeMan

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hard to watch Perry and his veteran leadership leave. With solid, yet young C’s moving forward (Perry was a wing, I know), would signing Eric Staal to a one year contract, if he wants of course, be a good move? Paquette, Evans, Poehling, KK, Suzuki would benefit from a veteran.

I liked him with Perry actually, until the finals.

But since Perry isn't back, Staal would be just bad.

Reactions: AcadiaAxeMan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad