Speculation: Staal as insurance?

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I really felt that Kotkienemi's board work improved last year when Staal got here. I think Staal is the perfect role model for JKO... it's exactly how JKO needs to play to be successful. Simple N/S game, hard work in D, win battles and use reach and size to get to the net and make it ugly.

But I still don't think we should bring him back for the regular season. I'd rather give Poehling a shot.

Reactions: AcadiaAxeMan

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Had he had a bit more gas in the tank I would have been open to the idea but I'm worried our cup run took everything he had left. He was slowing down big time by the time we got to the finals. A full season of playing regular minutes would be asking a lot.

Reactions: AcadiaAxeMan

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Staal is finished.

Just got for Bozak, Brassard or Anisimov on a one year deal to bridge the gap for the young centers.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The habs are probably looking for a hybrid 2/3 C. Staal isn't that guy.

I don't see the fit.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
No. f*** no. Do people have this short of memories? I don’t recall a Habs player being as bad as him. He was Laraque level bad. Honestly one of the slowest and laziest players ever. Slightly redeemed himself in the playoffs (by redeemed I mean I didn’t want to turn the TV off everytime he was on the ice), but I’ll chalk that up to playing with two good wingers.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
At least not the 2021 Staal. Unless he suddenly improved after a surgery or treatment I can't see a fit. His family is far from here and he was skating way to slow for a fast pace game the Habs try to impose (well at least first 20 games of season before injuries and defense adjust).

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I think it would be hilarious if he still manages to outplay KK.
By “outplay” do you mean KK gets dropped in the lineup for a useless player who did nothing while in the lineup while simultaneously decimating KK confidence and offensive production?? Yeah, that would suck.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Habs coach without a grizzled vet to play ahead of the high draft picks

upload_2021-8-17_15-6-25.jpeg

Reactions: Oryxo

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00