Speculation: St Louis vs Kesler..

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Spezza is the last player I would want to see come to the Rangers. I don't consider him a true #1 CentreMan these days. I am not sure if you and I have different ideas of the standards by which a centre is judged. I just don't like Spezza's game at all.

Sens fans are pretty lukewarm on him too. Still, he has 45 points in 55 games on a team that isn't great. I mentioned him specifically because he seems like the best center that could be available. Since mid-January, he's been PPG and he's around that for his career. He has his weaknesses but he'd give us some offensive punch at center that we don't currently have. Spezza-Stepan-Brassard up the middle would be very good.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Could Fasth, McI/Skjei, and a 2nd round pick (or some sort of conditional pick) work to get either MSL or Kesler?

I would hope MSL would come for far less. Kesler could command a package like that, but I wouldn't like that either. McI and especially Skjei should be close to off the table.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
In my ideal world, the Rangers would trade for neither. Swap Callahan for young assets. In the real world, MSL will be a Ranger.

So much this. St. Louis comes out and declares he wants to be a Ranger but whoever said we want him? I mean, if it was just a matter of "hey, um, I'm gonna go suit up for them now" then obviously he'd be welcome but since it's not that simple and we have to give Yzerman something he'll accept, who says we want St. Louis? Were we thinking about inquiring about him prior to this whole circus? Why are we spending assets other than Callahan (theoretically) to acquire him just because he said he wants to play for us?

If a 5M left handed D said he wanted to play for us, would we go out and move picks/prospects/etc. to get them, even though we already have Staal and McD? Especially if that D was 38? Sure, our offensive depth isn't quite as rich, but I would much rather stick to the plan from two weeks ago, which was moving Callahan for young assets. I love St. Louis and think he's great, but I don't actually think at his age he fits the plan. Why expend young assets to get 1.5 years of St. Louis? It doesn't put us over the top or something. I'm not feeling it, at all.

As for Kesler, love him too but he's starting to break down and Vancouver's supposed asking price is much too high, so pass there as well. Voted neither.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Could Fasth, McI/Skjei, and a 2nd round pick (or some sort of conditional pick) work to get either MSL or Kesler?

Nope. Those are just secondary pieces.

The hope is that Callahan is an integral part in a St Louis trade. I can't see Vancouver being in on Callahan considering their play this season. Vancouver is going to want a hell of a package.

St Louis makes the most sense here - if anyone.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I would hope MSL would come for far less. Kesler could command a package like that, but I wouldn't like that either. McI and especially Skjei should be close to off the table.

That doesn't get it done for either guy. Two medium prospects and a 2nd wouldn't even get you a rental of a player that caliber.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Let me put it this way. I trust the 38 year old St. Louis to not breakdown in the near future way more than Kesler. He's also the much better player now.

This exactly.

Plus, this team needs a dynamic scorer way more than they need a great defensive center in my opinion, even in the short term. And If there's an opportunity to get a player like that at a discount because of circumstance, I think that's the way to go.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
In my ideal world, the Rangers would trade for neither. Swap Callahan for young assets. In the real world, MSL will be a Ranger.

I agree with this, I just am not a big fan of any of the ideas that there is a window, or this is the year, or whatever. Just keep building until the window is always open and every year could be the year for real.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Asking price to be honest. Both can fill a void and do a good job. Both are on a time frame of decline we wont know until its too late. Realistically who ever is cheaper would be a cool addition to the NYR.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Kesler's got the grit. I love grit. This team needs grit. Grit.

Well you love Sean Avery. You also said Steve Downie was "delicious" in another thread. I think it's safe to say you'd be best friends with punkrocknyc and you let this tough guy mantra get to your head too much.

Kesler is 30 years old and has been battling injuries.

Rather have MSL at 38 years old. Elite scorer. He has missed just 7 games since 2002-2003.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

The Pens are apparently offering Sutter and a prospect named Derek Pouliot, so I doubt 2 prospects with like 4 games of NHL experience between the 2 of them and a pick would pique their interest at all.

http://snyrangersblog.com/znhl-players/ryan-kesler/buzz-what-it-costs-to-get-ryan-kesler/

VAN is apparently looking for someone who's under 25, playing ~18m a night, premier offensive player. So we're out of the running unless we're offering guys like Kreider+++.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
The Pens are apparently offering Sutter and a prospect named Derek Pouliot, so I doubt 2 prospects with like 4 games of NHL experience between the 2 of them and a pick would pique their interest at all.

http://snyrangersblog.com/znhl-players/ryan-kesler/buzz-what-it-costs-to-get-ryan-kesler/

VAN is apparently looking for someone who's under 25, playing ~18m a night, premier offensive player. So we're out of the running unless we're offering guys like Kreider+++.

I don't think we need to meet that asking price. To be fair most teams willing to sacrifice a prospect for him cant afford his cap hit this season anyway so i really doubt he is moving.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Definitely MSL. Kesler is probably my favorite non-Ranger, but it's obvious he's already starting to deteriorate. Plus he'll probably cost more.

shoves

Free orangejuice?
Nov 29, 2011
Well you love Sean Avery. You also said Steve Downie was "delicious" in another thread. I think it's safe to say you'd be best friends with punkrocknyc and you let this tough guy mantra get to your head too much.

You are completely correct, my man!
That being said, im not all brainwashed by the tough guys. Its just that i appreciate those who manage to both be gritty and productive players. I appreciate it, but im not demanding it. I got some strong feelings for several non-physical players too.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
kesler for sure.. need that top 6 center, and he has the size, gritt, heart and everything we need to be force in the east.. yeah he get hurt, play may be on the decline.. hes signed 2 more years at 5m.. no brainer..

they would want a center: Callahan, Brass, Dorsett, Lindbger/fast, conditional 1st for kesler, booth (most i'd give, no stepan)

2014-2015
Hags-Kesler-MZA
Kreider-Step-Nash
Booth-Miller-Kristo
Boyle-Moore-Carcillo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad