Speculation: St Louis vs Kesler..

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Kesler

We have wings all through the organization. Brad needs to bite the big one this summer and I'm not comfortable with Steps/Brass as 1/2, but Kesler/Steps/Brass as 1/2/3 gets us right up there with Bos/Pitt in center depth.

If we can get Kesler and not give up Steps, I'm fine with one of Brass or Miller going the other way obviously we only have room for one 3rd line c and neither is suited for a 4th c role.

MSL is the better choice in a 1 year senario all or nothing. Kesler, to me, given the make up of our team is the better long term option and trading off our wing depth over the next few years to plug holes that arise starting with Cally this season.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
It's a little complicated.

Both likely have 2 more years at their current level. Then Kesler will still be semi valuable, through overpaid, while MSL will potentially be retired.

Kesler fills a bigger need. MSL is a much better player.

Kesler will cost more. MSL should cost much less. Somehow. Never thought I'd type that a week ago.

If both cost the same, say a 1 for 1 swap with Callahan I'd go Kesler.

If it's Callahan + a 2nd for MSL vs Brassard, Skjei and a 1st for Kesler I'd go MSL. Obviously Stepan in for Brassard and it's even more so MSL.

In my ideal world, the Rangers would trade for neither. Swap Callahan for young assets. In the real world, MSL will be a Ranger.

SupersonicMonkey*

Yeesh...all this talk of trading young assets for 30+ year olds, particularly a 38+ year old, is worrisome.

Nice win tonight, even though we only had 2? shots on goal in the third. But, come on, are we really better than Pittsburgh or Boston in the East? and Anaheim, St. Louis, LA, San Jose, Chicago in the West?

Anything can happen, including destroying this club's future on some dilusional Cup run this spring.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
MSL. He's better, and he'll cost less. Both have two years remaining, and I don't want Sather tempted to give Kesler a massive extension deal with all of his past injuries issues.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I would have to say, with so many years of Rangers acquisitions under my belt, that i would prefer neither. My hunch is that Kesler will not be the player he was two years ago.

Regarding St. Louis, I would prefer that the Rangers not do the obvious, for once. I am talking to you, Glen Sather.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Let me put it this way. I trust the 38 year old St. Louis to not breakdown in the near future way more than Kesler. He's also the much better player now.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Rangers getting St. Louis on what would operate as a 2 year deal would be great. Doesn't lock down money long term, gets you an elite playmaker from the wing, etc. He's older but he makes the team significantly better in the short term and, because of the short contract, the deal can't hurt you long term. Getting him for Callahan (or assets we use Cally to acquire) would awesome. I'd prefer that to Kesler.

Kesler is tricky. He's basically like Callahan but at the center position. Recent injury concerns, looks like a 50 point player, etc. He, like Stepan, is not a true 1C but rather a very good 2C. If you had Stepan and Kesler up the middle, your top 6 would have good but not great play up the middle. His deal is pretty good, money wise and year wise. I wouldn't mind Kesler but not if he requires moving big pieces. If I'm moving big pieces, it's for a TRUE 1C that can pass like Spezza.

Voted for St. Louis impulsively but literally every single person on this forum should be voting for "DEPENDS ON ASKING PRICE". That should be Rule #1 in any trade scenario.

Last edited:

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Rangers getting St. Louis on what would operate as a 2 year deal would be great. Doesn't lock down money long term, gets you an elite playmaker from the wing, etc. He's older but he makes the team significantly better in the short term and, because of the short contract, the deal can't hurt you long term. Getting him for Callahan (or assets we use Cally to acquire) would awesome. I'd prefer that to Kesler.

Kesler is tricky. He's basically like Callahan but at the center position. Recent injury concerns, looks like a 50 point player, etc. He, like Stepan, is not a true 1C but rather a very good 2C. If you had Stepan and Kesler up the middle, your top 6 would have good but not great play up the middle. His deal is pretty good, money wise and year wise. I wouldn't mind Kesler but not if he requires moving big pieces. If I'm moving big pieces, it's for a TRUE 1C that can pass like Spezza.

Spezza is the last player I would want to see come to the Rangers. I don't consider him a true #1 CentreMan these days. I am not sure if you and I have different ideas of the standards by which a centre is judged. I just don't like Spezza's game at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad