• Alexei Toropchenko

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tanner Kaspick

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I think Alexandrov’s projection is much closer to Barbashev, which wouldn’t be bad at all.
nice to have. honestly if we weren't so thick with centers (another nice problem to have) I could see Barby centering the 3rd line honestly. he got to show much more 'offense' when he played with ROR last year, and when he plays up the lineup in general

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
nice to have. honestly if we weren't so thick with centers (another nice problem to have) I could see Barby centering the 3rd line honestly. he got to show much more 'offense' when he played with ROR last year, and when he plays up the lineup in general
He is better suited to wing. His poor defensive zone coverage is real issue at center.

Reactions: MissouriMook

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
He is better suited to wing. His poor defensive zone coverage is real issue at center.
The fancy stats may not back this up, but to me he and Sunny seem to work best when Barby is at C and Sunny is getting dirty in the corner and behind the net on the forecheck. But you're right, he doesn't seem the same to me at C without Sunny riding shotgun.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Vote for a goalie you cowards
They're essentially replacement level unless they're top 15 in the world at their position. You can get an average goalie for basically nothing whenever you want. They're the least valuable prospects by a large margin because they take the longest to develop and unless they're truly exceptional, they make no real impact on the team. If Binnington went down with an injury, getting an adequate replacement would cost like a 3rd round pick. Now try to get a second line center. Only chance you're getting one for that cheap is if they have a terrible contract. Goalies should have their own rankings because even a guy with an outside chance of being a third liner is a better prospect than a good goalie prospect because their potential impact is so much higher.

Reactions: shifting

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I went with Robertsson again. Size, Speed, agility, shot, willingness to go to the tough spots, forecheck, willingness to play defence, plays physical game, - his being chosen is already long overdue (at least 2 spots (if not 3).

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
They're essentially replacement level unless they're top 15 in the world at their position. You can get an average goalie for basically nothing whenever you want. They're the least valuable prospects by a large margin because they take the longest to develop and unless they're truly exceptional, they make no real impact on the team. If Binnington went down with an injury, getting an adequate replacement would cost like a 3rd round pick. Now try to get a second line center. Only chance you're getting one for that cheap is if they have a terrible contract. Goalies should have their own rankings because even a guy with an outside chance of being a third liner is a better prospect than a good goalie prospect because their potential impact is so much higher.

So why even draft goalies? If they are so cheap to get, why draft one with that 3rd when you can just trade the pick away. But wait, why trade a 3rd to get a goalie? We could have gotten a prospect with an outside shot at the 3rd line with that pick. Those are more valuable than goalies.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
So why even draft goalies? If they are so cheap to get, why draft one with that 3rd when you can just trade the pick away. But wait, why trade a 3rd to get a goalie? We could have gotten a prospect with an outside shot at the 3rd line with that pick. Those are more valuable than goalies.
Now you're talking like a modern day analytics expert!

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Now you're talking like a modern day analytics expert!
That sounds like Carolina’s line of thinking … just find a goalie when you need one off the scrap heap. Suppose it’s similar to the draft philosophies some NFL teams had about running-backs … no need to waste a premium asset on one …they’re a dime a dozen.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Where does our prospect pool rank

top 1/3
Middle 1/3
Bottom 1/3

Kostin likely is a bottom-6 guy that contributes 20-30 points. Perunovich could be a Makar/Hughes/Fox/Girard type, or a Reilly/Mete type. The rest of our top 5-6 have good outlooks, but nobody is a true blue chipper. Lots of guys you hope will contribute, but nobody that is going to come in and put up PPG or be a “star,” in all likelihood.

So I’d say that puts us in the bottom third, but I’m bullish on what we do have. I think we’ve mostly done well with what little we’ve had. Our down-board drafting has been bad for awhile, but I know people hate when I whinge about that.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Where does our prospect pool rank

top 1/3
Middle 1/3
Bottom 1/3

I think middle on the lower side.

We don't have as much high end prospects as, for example, a team like LA has. However, looking at the positions were we've been drafting the last couple of years I think there is still a lot of NHL-potential, even if we don't seem to have any future star players.

As I see it now:
2nd line forwards: Bolduc, Neighbours, Robertsson
3rd line forwards: Kostin, Alexandrov, Dickinson
4th line forwards: Toropchenko, Peterson
replacement level forwards: Laferriere, McGing, Washkurak, Stevens
AHL forward: Kaspick

2nd pairing defenders: Perunovich
3rd pairing defenders: Kessel, Tucker, Lööf
ECHL/AHL defender: Beck

starter goalie: Hofer
1a/1b goalie: Ellis, Zherenko

unknowns: Galloway, Cranley, Vorobyov