• Alexei Toropchenko

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tanner Kaspick

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I wouldn't call it 'groupthink', but to me it's clear that people are influenced by media and other fans. I think @Majorityof1's example of Kostin was spot on. He's right: the opinion was that Kostin was subpar for a large part of that season and I've read on multiple occasions that people thought he was busting. If you'd ask the Blues fans at that point who was the best prospect, he probably wouldn't be in the top-3. At the end of the season he got better, won a spot on Avangard's 1st line and played really well in their play-offs winning the praise of his coach, and suddenly he's our best prospect again.

Don't get me wrong, everyone has their own criteria for choosing a prospect, but it's undeniable that we're all (myself included) influenced by media and other voices (like other fan's opinions).

Personally, I don think there is anything wrong with changing opinions mid season. Especially when a players trajectory changes. In fact, I would be more concerned if it didn’t.

I am not sure it is group think if a prospect is playing 4th line minutes and not really taking off and fans becoming more down on him. Especially considering his past two years I the AHL. And then he gets some top line icetime and his play takes off. His production dramatically changed and it seems like his game did also.

I also tend to think those same fans didn’t take his age into account , but that is neither here nor there.

I think being flexible and willing to change an opinion is a good quality especially when looking at growth of a player which is non-linear and and largely dependent on multiple variables. I don’t see that as group think at all. But getting more data and adjusting one opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: simon IC

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Personally, I don think there is anything wrong with changing opinions mid season. Especially when a players trajectory changes. In fact, I would be more concerned if it didn’t.

I am not sure it is group think if a prospect is playing 4th line minutes and not really taking off and fans becoming more down on him. Especially considering his past two years I the AHL. And then he gets some top line icetime and his play takes off. His production dramatically changed and it seems like his game did also.

I also tend to think those same fans didn’t take his age into account , but that is neither here nor there.

I think being flexible and willing to change an opinion is a good quality especially when looking at growth of a player which is non-linear and and largely dependent on multiple variables. I don’t see that as group think at all. But getting more data and adjusting one opinion.
Excellent post. We learn as we go.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
At the expense of sounding like a broken record, I am just suggesting that we put the brakes on Perunovich being a "can't miss" NHL'er until we see him play in a professional league. He has just played College and International hockey thus far. Let's at least see how he fares against men in the AHL and see how he holds up. Remember, he hasn't played a single professional game.
Jaedon Dascheneau looked great on paper and lower levels too....then there is Cliff Ronning... Let's hope for the defense version of Cliff.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

It's perfectly logical to be flexible and change opinion on a player based on what we read, see or hear. As you said, a players development isn't always linear and sometimes they have to take a step back to move 2 steps forward. We have to assume the Blues know what they're doing with developing their players, maybe a player is purposely playing sheltered minutes to eventually reap the benefit of doing so. For us it would seem like a player isn't producing while it could be all part of the Blues plan to bring him up slowly. And this is exactly what I meant, we -as fans- don't have any oversight and we're all influenced by 'the guy that is currently in the spotlight'. It's very enticing for us posters to choose that player and it eventually could be the correct choice, however it's just as possible we have another player in the spotlight a couple of months ahead and we're looking back at 'how it was possible we didn't had Vorobyev 1st overall'. ;)

Reactions: simon IC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad