Prospect Info: St. Louis Blues Prospect Ranking #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandPapillon*

Rattie.

Fabbri has to have a few repeat performances to get to where Rattie is.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I'm going to upside, even though Jaskin and Rattie are closer to being NHL ready.

Fabbri for me

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Since I barely picked Allen over him last time, I'm going with Fabbri without thinking twice here. He's got the potential to be the best forward of the bunch.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I went with Barbashev. Since the draft, reading scouting reports and watching film, I really like this kid. I think he will be the best pro of the group we have. Everyone else is going to say "Fabbri!!! Fabbri!!!!" and that, honestly, is probably the reason I didn't vote for him. It is in my nature for some reason to sour on things that are overhyped. With the hype around him and Lehtera, I have soured on both somewhat. Don't get me wrong. I still think he was an awesome pick up, and will be great. The hype he is getting though is insane. He has been penciled in for superstardom before playing a game outside of juniors. With his size, I'll wait to see him add the bulk and how he does against the bigger competition on the next level before being sold. Its tougher to play small. You have to be much better than the rest. Consequently and unfortunately, I think he has more bust potential than Barbashev. Barbashev has all the tools and is closer to being NHL ready. Many scouting reports listed him as being the closest to being a day 1 starter outside the top 5. He also fits great in the Blues system with his puck possession and defense, but adds offensive ability as well.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Fabbri again for me. He is in truly elite company when looking at CHL draft seasons. I love what Jaskin is eventually going to bring to the team, and I think Rattie could be a hell of a goal scorer in the NHL some day, but Fabbri has a chance to be very special.

Edgar

Dec 29, 2009
I went with Rattie. Voting for Fabbri would make me feel like I have new toy syndrome. He is definitely one of our top guys, but not quite where I would rank him number 2. Also, I might like Barbashev more, but that's mostly because Fabbri's size worries me slightly

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Voyed for the guy in my av again, although from what I have been learning about Barbashev in the days following the draft I like him just as much!

For me it's

1.) Fabbri
1a.) Barbashev

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
How does Rattie get more votes than Jaskin? Outside of getting little more than 3rd and 4th line cup of coffee, he's done little to prove he isn't our top forward prospect at the pro level. He also has less factors that make him a long shot at the next level.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
How does Rattie get more votes than Jaskin? Outside of getting little more than 3rd and 4th line cup of coffee, he's done little to prove he isn't our top forward prospect at the pro level. He also has less factors that make him a long shot at the next level.

That's the point of a poll. Everyone has their own opinion. I actually agree with you. Comparing Rattie v. Jaskin, I think Jaskin has the edge. He is more NHL ready despite being the same age (Jaskin is a month and a half younger). His game translate better to a bottom 6 role, giving him less chance to be a complete bust. His upside is just as good, as despite Rattie's nice goal totals, Jaskin actualy had a better AHL ppg and was a man among boys in the AHL playoffs (PPG for Jaskin vs. .333 ppg for Rattie). So being a more complete player, being closer to NHL ready and not sacrificing much on the upside give Jaskin the nod.

However, I can understand other people's point of view. Jaskin was brought up and given a legit shot in the NHL. He wasn't ready. His skating needed a ton of work. He just looked too slow to succeed. Rattie needs to bulk up, but he didn't look as overwhelmed as people expected him to in his brief shot in the NHL. Since Rattie is a goal scorer, his number get valued more, so his potential is viewed as higher. I think Jaskin's less than exemplary NHL stint coupled with Rattie's nice AHL goal numbers lead people to vote for him. But if you normalize their games played, Jaskin would have had 26 G, 24 A, 50 points over the same 72 games Rattie scored 31g, 17a, 48p.

To me its a toss up on top end potential. Its just whether you value a pure goal scorer or a more complete player who scores less goals. As we don't have many, if any, pure goal scorers, Blues fans salivate over the thought of Rattie becoming one.

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
Exactly why I voted for him. I wish someone could explain to me how they can vote for Barabshev, Fabbri or Rattie over Jaskin.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Upside? I mean, people are getting giddy about McDavid in next year's draft already and he hasn't proven anything in the pros either. But would you take him over Jaskin? Probably. Obviously that's an extreme comparison, but I think you get my point.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Exactly why I voted for him. I wish someone could explain to me how they can vote for Barabshev, Fabbri or Rattie over Jaskin.

Barbashev = 18 year old who could potentially be ready to play in the NHL right now according to some scouts. Very high probability he will be by next year when he is 19. Top line potential , easily top 6, low bust possibility

Jaskin = 21 year old who may not be ready to play in the NHL this year if he doesn't improve his sakiting, top 6 potential, low bust possibility.

Barbashev will be ready at a younger age, has a slightly higher ceiling and the same low bust potential. That is why I voted for him over Jaskin.

Regardless of reasons. Its probably time to call this one. Fabbri has over half of the almost 60 votes.

GrandPapillon*

You believed that Berglund was going to be the next Mats Sundin too, didn't you?

Jaskin may not have high "bust potential" but pardon me if I'm not doing cartwheels over another medium scoring, defensively-minded forward.

Rattie has scored everywhere he has gone to this point. He tore up the WHL and scored 30 goals while transitioning against tougher competition in the AHL.

I can understand people going with the novelty bias and getting excited about Fabbri. He ought to be a good player, and his upside and Rattie's should be close, but Rattie has passed several developmental tests Fabbri hasn't even been issued yet, so I am much more comfortable with Rattie at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

Because skill trumps toughness? It's fine to say Jaskin is the better prospect because he is safer, but there is no doubt that Rattie has more skill, and a pretty significantly higher ceiling. He just scored 31 goals in his his rookie season in the AHL for pete's sake. He was a long term project from the moment he was drafted, but he has tremendous upside. If he adds muscle ala Schwartz, he has a chance to be a very good player. Let's not forget that Jaskin has his own issues. The kid still needs a ton of work on his skating. Last year, he was in the NHL, but couldn't gain more than playing fourth line minutes because he couldn't keep up. He's what this team needs: a potential high impact scorer. We need more of that to compete with the likes of Chicago and LA.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Because skill trumps toughness? It's fine to say Jaskin is the better prospect because he is safer, but there is no doubt that Rattie has more skill, and a pretty significantly higher ceiling. He just scored 31 goals in his his rookie season in the AHL for pete's sake. He was a long term project from the moment he was drafted, but he has tremendous upside. If he adds muscle ala Schwartz, he has a chance to be a very good player. Let's not forget that Jaskin has his own issues. The kid still needs a ton of work on his skating. Last year, he was in the NHL, but couldn't gain more than playing fourth line minutes because he couldn't keep up. He's what this team needs: a potential high impact scorer. We need more of that to compete with the likes of Chicago and LA.

Guys, save it for the next poll. This if Fabbri's moment to shine. We can argue Jaskin vs Rattie next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad