St. Louis Blues media - NHL softest?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

2: Peter Bourjos
"Now he is getting a fresh start in Philadelphia, where fans are known to rally around struggling players and offer their unconditional support." :laugh:

Surprised Hitch isn't higher on the list. I still like Hitch, but he clearly isn't the right fit here. The media in St. Louis is fairly typical of the media in most small to mid markets, it's the big markets where the media goes out for blood.

Last edited:

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
It kind of upset me that JR came out the other day on The Fast Lane and talked about issues in the locker room and that Hitch's time in St. Louis is "definitely something to pay attention to."

Then the very next week he posts an article on STL Today and goes on The Turn and states "Well...yeah but show me a team that does like their coach. Coaches are usually not the most popular guys with the players. It's normal."

Completely changing his tune on the whole issue. Really annoys me.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
It kind of upset me that JR came out the other day on The Fast Lane and talked about issues in the locker room and that Hitch's time in St. Louis is "definitely something to pay attention to."

Then the very next week he posts an article on STL Today and goes on The Turn and states "Well...yeah but show me a team that does like their coach. Coaches are usually not the most popular guys with the players. It's normal."

Its good JR criticize openly Blues year after year failure. I'm puzzled how and why majority Blues fans believes blindly what Army+Hitch represent, where this ship will sink again.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Its good JR criticize openly Blues year after year failure. I'm puzzled how and why majority Blues fans believes blindly what Army+Hitch represent, where this ship will sink again.

Why do you think the majority of Blues fan believe that. I think almost everyone on this board things there should have been a coaching change.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015

I see your point, the article yesterday discussing Hitch looked more like a subtle retraction with alot of added fluff. Its like that 3 game win streak some how erased the horrible 4 weeks prior.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011

Army and Hitch have been questioned heavily on these boards, what are you talking about?

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
I see your point, the article yesterday discussing Hitch looked more like a subtle retraction with alot of added fluff. Its like that 3 game win streak some how erased the horrible 4 weeks prior.

I like JR and he's a nice guy, but he's a yes man. Nothing less, nothing more.

Nothing hard hitting or questioning the team are in his plans. He thinks if he's just nice enough and doesn't ask the tough questions, he will be in Army and Hitch's good graces.

The guy he really needs to be questioning is Stillman.

What is absolutely apparent with this team, is their lack of urgency and their inability to turn it up a notch and play a full 60 minutes. Its been going on for years, and JR refuses to ask Hitch, Army or Stillman about it.

sbkbghockey

Aug 26, 2008
at the ice rink, USA
I like JR and he's a nice guy, but he's a yes man. Nothing less, nothing more.

Nothing hard hitting or questioning the team are in his plans. He thinks if he's just nice enough and doesn't ask the tough questions, he will be in Army and Hitch's good graces.

The guy he really needs to be questioning is Stillman.

What is absolutely apparent with this team, is their lack of urgency and their inability to turn it up a notch and play a full 60 minutes. Its been going on for years, and JR refuses to ask Hitch, Army or Stillman about it.

Hitch should have been gone a season or two ago, same with Army... I thought Stillman and new ownership would be great for the Blues but I'm starting to question him too. Army and Hitch should have been relieved of their duties within minutes of returning to STL last spring after that embarrassing end to the playoffs in MN.

Hitch is a dinosaur, Army has no real vision for the team, and Stillman has no guts to shake things up = meaning the Blues are stuck in this state, where they're a good team but not a Stanley Cup contender.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
Not to beat up on JR but he was covering the game in Dallas tonight and his story after the game mentioned nothing about effort. Nothing about being the worst game of the year. Nothing about the indifference.

Anyone who watched the game today and had the responsibility to cover it for the fans would have jumped all over it.

But nope. Nada

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
First time I listened about this 'The Turn' radioshow and I kind of like their stuff. Bit humour and seriousness. Who are these guys talking?

Now they said it was Fast Lane, but yeah funny guys and good talk about Blues hockey.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
First time I listened about this 'The Turn' radioshow and I kind of like their stuff. Bit humour and seriousness. Who are these guys talking?

Now they said it was Fast Lane, but yeah funny guys and good talk about Blues hockey.

"The Turn" is a former Cardinal player and a local sports guy. I think the show is okay. They're more centered around baseball.

The Fast Lane is the best radio show in St. Louis in my opinion. They have former Ram D'marco Farr and former Cardinal Brad Thompson, who I think are both really good on the show(Thompson especially) and Randy Karraker who is the ultimate St. Louis homer, but he's also very knowledgeable about most sports. I absolutely love that show and I miss listening to it on the way home from work because now I only live a couple minutes from work :(

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Hitch should have been gone a season or two ago, same with Army... I thought Stillman and new ownership would be great for the Blues but I'm starting to question him too. Army and Hitch should have been relieved of their duties within minutes of returning to STL last spring after that embarrassing end to the playoffs in MN.

Hitch is a dinosaur, Army has no real vision for the team, and Stillman has no guts to shake things up = meaning the Blues are stuck in this state, where they're a good team but not a Stanley Cup contender.

Do you still stand by this?
I'm not mocking, just curious man.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016

I can't agree with this. In years past I was unsure if it was the coaching or the players in regards to the teams poor play in the playoffs. This year my questions were answered. You can't blame Hitch or his system as he came in and immediately turned this team around. We have been one of the top few teams in the league every season since he took over. The players bear the responsibility for poor performances of years past. This year they have been better mentally, but I still think they lack a killer instinct. Stillman has been great, don't know what kind of beef anyone can have with him.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
"The Turn" is a former Cardinal player and a local sports guy. I think the show is okay. They're more centered around baseball.

The Fast Lane is the best radio show in St. Louis in my opinion. They have former Ram D'marco Farr and former Cardinal Brad Thompson, who I think are both really good on the show(Thompson especially) and Randy Karraker who is the ultimate St. Louis homer, but he's also very knowledgeable about most sports. I absolutely love that show and I miss listening to it on the way home from work because now I only live a couple minutes from work :(

I guess it was that The Fast Lane broadcast, is it everyday and what time it will be in air?

Edit. I guess its 11pm - 3am at here onlive when its on your time 3pm - 7pm

Last edited:

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I've heard more blunt and accurate criticism of the team from D'Marco Farr.

Thats how bad it is.

I think it's because Demarco doesn't really cover hockey and doesn't have to get interviews with Hitchcock and the players.

When you criticize a team they can retaliate by not answering your questions or not granting interviews.

JR has to walk a fine line when criticizing the team. He needs answers to write his columns and he won't get those answers if he starts bashing the team's decisions. Plus he is around them everyday. How would you feel about hanging out with some guy who second guesses you somewhat often?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I know this thread is old but I am still not a Hitch fan. Even after we beat CHI and DAL I had buddies telling me I had to like Hitch now.

Nope. Still think his style is an awful style that does not translate to today's NHL. Blues could be so much more dominant with a different system. That being said, they may win a cup and I will eat crow till the sun goes down and wont care if Hitch comes back. But anything less than a cup and I think the Blues should not re-sign him.

I didn't like LaRussa either and I got to watch him bring 2 rings to STL for my favorite baseball team.

Last edited:

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
I think it's because Demarco doesn't really cover hockey and doesn't have to get interviews with Hitchcock and the players.

When you criticize a team they can retaliate by not answering your questions or not granting interviews.

JR has to walk a fine line when criticizing the team. He needs answers to write his columns and he won't get those answers if he starts bashing the team's decisions. Plus he is around them everyday. How would you feel about hanging out with some guy who second guesses you somewhat often?

This. you'll likely never see JR slam anyone in an interview. At least not while he's the daily beat writer covering the Blues

sbkbghockey

Aug 26, 2008
at the ice rink, USA
Do you still stand by this?
I'm not mocking, just curious man.

Yes, for basically the same reasons as Blueton:

I know this thread is old but I am still not a Hitch fan. Even after we beat CHI and DAL I had buddies telling me I had to like Hitch now.

Nope. Still think his style is an awful style that does not translate to today's NHL. Blues could be so much more dominant with a different system. That being said, they may win a cup and I will eat crow till the sun goes down and wont care if Hitch comes back. But anything less than a cup and I think the Blues should not re-sign him.

I didn't like LaRussa either and I got to watch him bring 2 rings to STL for my favorite baseball team.

This season is basically the same failed Blues team as before but the one big difference is the skilled and high compete level of some of our young talent like Fabbri and Parayko. This team still lacks a killer instinct (a combo of Hitch's conservative style and the players somehow not playing with an edge or having that internal drive to push themselves harder. With a new coaching staff and some player changes, the Blues could be a powerhouse team that blends skill and size like Chicago has been and the Sharks are now.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Yes, for basically the same reasons as Blueton:

This season is basically the same failed Blues team as before but the one big difference is the skilled and high compete level of some of our young talent like Fabbri and Parayko. This team still lacks a killer instinct (a combo of Hitch's conservative style and the players somehow not playing with an edge or having that internal drive to push themselves harder. With a new coaching staff and some player changes, the Blues could be a powerhouse team that blends skill and size like Chicago has been and the Sharks are now.

Look, I don't think either Armstrong or Hitchcock should return. DA hasn't done anything, and Hitch style/strategies are ridiculous.

As per replacements, Don Maloney is a great GM, made some really good moves and Arizona is looking like a good team going forward, him being fired was not a great move. Another is Mike Yeo, he wasn't the problem in Minnesota, yes Minny did better at first but went 2-9, losing 5 in a row (or something like that) going into the post-season. I feel Yeo could really do something with our roster. Maloney would recognize our issues in speed and attempting to move out Lehtera, Bouwmeester and making us a better team.

I think our entire bench needs to go, bring in Yeo to run the show and get some assistant coaches who have been on winning teams, one to specialize our offense/PP and one to specialize in defense/PK.

When your break down Doug Armstrong, he hasn't done anything significant.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
Look, I don't think either Armstrong or Hitchcock should return. DA hasn't done anything, and Hitch style/strategies are ridiculous.

As per replacements, Don Maloney is a great GM, made some really good moves and Arizona is looking like a good team going forward, him being fired was not a great move. Another is Mike Yeo, he wasn't the problem in Minnesota, yes Minny did better at first but went 2-9, losing 5 in a row (or something like that) going into the post-season. I feel Yeo could really do something with our roster. Maloney would recognize our issues in speed and attempting to move out Lehtera, Bouwmeester and making us a better team.

I think our entire bench needs to go, bring in Yeo to run the show and get some assistant coaches who have been on winning teams, one to specialize our offense/PP and one to specialize in defense/PK.

When your break down Doug Armstrong, he hasn't done anything significant.

Is this a serious comment? Doug Armstrong took over this team when we were consistently in last place in the league. he has transformed the core from Oshie, Perron, EJ, and Berglund to Tarasenko, Schwartz, Fabbri, Pietrangelo, Parayko and Shattenkirk. He has assembled a team which consistently competes for the division title in the hardest division in the NHL, and has been responsible for the addition of key contributors on the current playoff run. How are the additions of Gunnarsson, Bouwmeester, Brouwer, Brodziak, Stastny, and Upshall considered nothing in your mind? How are the very fair contracts of Pietrangelo and Tarasenko considered nothing in your mind?

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Is this a serious comment? Doug Armstrong took over this team when we were consistently in last place in the league. he has transformed the core from Oshie, Perron, EJ, and Berglund to Tarasenko, Schwartz, Fabbri, Pietrangelo, Parayko and Shattenkirk. He has assembled a team which consistently competes for the division title in the hardest division in the NHL, and has been responsible for the addition of key contributors on the current playoff run. How are the additions of Gunnarsson, Bouwmeester, Brouwer, Brodziak, Stastny, and Upshall considered nothing in your mind? How are the very fair contracts of Pietrangelo and Tarasenko considered nothing in your mind?

Tarasenko and Schwartz were Kekalainen picks. Fabbri, Parayko were courtesy of Bill Armstrong.
He traded Oshie for a slower, albeit more consistent player in Brouwer, but Brouwer doesn't help our lack of speed and that wasn't a great trade. We got 1 year of Brouwer and unless that 3rd is the next Parayko, nothing really in return.
EJ is better then Shattenkirk, I honestly don't like Shattenkirk.
Gunnarsson, okay, hes a good player. But the Husso selection is credited to scouting not DA.
We got nothing for Perron, a good 2nd line winger.
Bouwmeester is not very good, overpaid, same goes with Lehtera.
Brodziak and Upshall are fine but they're not anything outside of 4th line PK guys.
Stastny was a good addition. Petro and Tarasenko contracts are good as well.

Obviously Armstrong has made some moves, but quite a few flops and the core of this team Schwartz, Tank, Backes, Steen, Petro, Fabbri, Paryako and Shattenkirk only 1 was acquired by Armstrong. He failed to get a adequate coach after the destruction last year.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
Tarasenko and Schwartz were Kekalainen picks. Fabbri, Parayko were courtesy of Bill Armstrong.
He traded Oshie for a slower, albeit more consistent player in Brouwer, but Brouwer doesn't help our lack of speed and that wasn't a great trade. We got 1 year of Brouwer and unless that 3rd is the next Parayko, nothing really in return.
Gunnarsson, okay, hes a good player. But the Husso selection is credited to scouting not DA.
Brodziak and Upshall are fine but they're not anything outside of 4th line PK guys.

Obviously Armstrong has made some moves, but quite a few flops and the core of this team Schwartz, Tank, Backes, Steen, Petro, Fabbri, Paryako and Shattenkirk only 1 was acquired by Armstrong. He failed to get a adequate coach after the destruction last year.

Which adequate coach are you referring to? The guy went after Babcock and was rejected for obvious rea$on$. If you're going to undermine him by pointing to all the front office people that WORK FOR DOUG ARMSTRONG you might as well not give the players any credit either. What's even worse is that you pretend every team has a better GM and they're all winning Cups but us. Which one has the unblemished track record and never wasted a cent or phone call?

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina

You do realize that as the GM, Doug Armstrong is responsible for putting together the entire scouting/prospects/drafting group together right? Doug Armstrong is responsible for Bill Armstrong having a job with the organization.

Brouwer has scored more big goals in the playoffs in 1 year for the Blues than Oshie had during his entire time here. That isn't a bad trade.

EJ is better than Shattenkirk, sure. But EJ would do nothing for this team, as he is a shutdown defenseman of which we already have a better one in Pietrangelo. Shattenkirk is significantly more beneficial to the team than EJ would be.

Again, mention of the scouting department than Armstrong is responsible for assembling.

Bouwmeester may not be very good by your definition, but there are about 25 teams that would love to have him as a #2 on their team.

Brodziak obviously can do more than just PK, as seen tonight.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Part of being a good leader is surrounding yourself with good people. Bill Armstrong might have been responsible for the draft picks in recent years, but he's making those decisions because Doug Armstrong put him in that position.

Jarmo may have picked Schwartz and Tarasenko, but Armstrong is the one that took his advice and traded to get the Tarasenko pick.

I've got plenty of issues with Doug Armstrong, I think we have wasted a lot of our depth in recent years and have very little to show for it. I don't think he is aggressive enough sometimes. I think some of his directions with the team have been muddled. He still deserves credit for where this franchise is today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad