St. Louis Blues media - NHL softest?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I have wonder quite often why Blues media is usually very reticent/'close-lipped' what comes big moves and some strange plays in big games (refer to Allen/Elliott case last post-season/why Ott play big minutes when he should play limited/why Tarasenko play wrong side on PP etc. Small thing but in bigger picture those reflects to result.

Recent trade Brouwer - Oshie, they (Blues media) hold it like in blockbuster move. They didn't criticize that trade at all. Did trade improved team better or was it poor efford by Armstrong? Criticize with out knowing it would hurt Blues management, but Blues media just 'sof-pedal' to people and fans what they might think of that.

After another big failure in post-season, those questions what media give to Army and Hitch were so pre-agreed that my old grandma would laughed about those. No correct and hard questions.

I really understand that team need safe environment and some sanctity when its big games (post-season), but if team collapse 3 time a row in 1st round, there should be no excuses and give easy press conference. Need aswers and real show cases where we did go wrong and is this right path.

I undestand that 'insiders' have different kind of relationship to team/players/GM/coach, but generally I really don't understand why Blues media is so soft to our team? I think I don't need to make compare another team media (Toronto).

Question Stillman, Armstrong, Hithcock and (some players) are they right guys and do they have ability to lead this team that big goal Stanley Cup.

Mod's can delete this thread if they feel like its inappropriate.

Reactions: blues hillbilly

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
i like it. they are the media, not analysts. it's their job to report the news about the team, not question the decisions of the coach and GM, etc. In a place like Toronto, it's the exact opposite and it is just an all around gongshow.

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
Kirk has a point, but it would be nice if they actually asked some tough questions though instead of just agreeing with anything and everything Hitch and Army say

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
It's because the local sports teams in STL are such an essential part of the city's fabric, with that hometown feel it's always been a good relationship with the sports and local community. All has to do with the local ownership groups.

The Rams on the other hand are a different story. I can never support them as long as that ***** Stan Kroenke is the owner.

sbkbghockey

Aug 26, 2008
at the ice rink, USA
It's because the local sports teams in STL are such an essential part of the city's fabric, with that hometown feel it's always been a good relationship with the sports and local community. All has to do with the local ownership groups.

The Rams on the other hand are a different story. I can never support them as long as that ***** Stan Kroenke is the owner.

Blue Penguin hit it. St. Louis, despite being a large metro area, still has elements of being a small town. Makes it a nice place to raise a family and why pro sports players generally love their time in St. Louis. (many still live in STL after they retire).

Local sports teams are close to the local media and I think there's a lot of good things about that, but one negative is that the media people don't ask the tough questions sometimes. It was very frustrating to watch another Blues playoff failure and the "RECKLESS" press conference a few weeks later and the media not ask those hard questions and push the problems.

I don't think any of us want the Toronto-style media here but it'd be nice if they didn't act like buddies with the St. Louis teams in certain situations.

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
Come to think of it, Joe Strauss doesn't get many interviews but he's never afraid to ask the tough questions, he's pretty much made a career on being a negative nancy about all the local sports teams

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It just sucks that the media people we have that would ask tough questions, really lack in hockey knowledge.

We get stuck we having morals like Korac who enjoys bashing people on twitter.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
does it really matter though. tough questions directed at hitchcock are met with some incomprehensible "Hitch" mumbo jumbo. tough questions directed at Armstrong are met with rhetoric worthy of a politician. we never get a real answer anyway.

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
does it really matter though. tough questions directed at hitchcock are met with some incomprehensible "Hitch" mumbo jumbo. tough questions directed at Armstrong are met with rhetoric worthy of a politician. we never get a real answer anyway.

While this is true it would at least show them that we aren't buying the same BS rhetoric they keep spewing

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Which is why we need someone to call them out on these cop outs. STL media has bought into "buy-in" and "hockey trades" because they lack actual hockey knowledge.

I know the beat writers have to walk a fine line, so I won't blame JR, but everyone else staight up sucks.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
There are two kinds of reporters in St Louis. Beat reporters and columnists. Rutherford is the Blues beat writer. He reports what he
hears in the press conferences etc. We do get some of his opinions in
his weekly chat, but remember he isn't going to ruffle the feathers of
any one in management based on his job at the Post Dispatch. Bernie and Jeff Gordon tend to be more of the opinion based columnists. Jeff is more into hockey than Baltimore Bernie. Thus you get more of a hockey view. Bernie, can just write a column to stir it up, so you have to take what he writes with a grain of salt. I covered the Rams for two years and for the most part the sports media in St. Louis was about as good as any one could get at a local sports bar.
Very rarely did they ask any tough question or have any major insight. It's St. Louis, not New York or Toronto (hockey). Hence as others have stated its a small town. Not top tier for sports reporting.
There are a lot of good sports reporters in St Louis. Many are really good guys. The radio guys tend to have more background knowledge.
For all the crazies that call in if they do get someone that calls in and knows their information they have to be on top of their game. The TV sports guys are pretty boy golfers for the most part. The paper crowd have a good old boys network, mind you they are part of a dying breed and need to sell papers foremost. I lived in St Louis for over 30 years. Have lived on the west and east coast as well as other
cities in the midwest. There is some truth to the negative sports attitude from the media. Maybe, not negative but snarky. There really is no reason for it at all. The Cardinals spoil the media and fans. The Blues are the most die hard fans in the city. The Rams, well
probably won't be around much longer. Good posters on this board and on the information on the internet can give you a lot more valuable insight.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Is it possible to add poll - Should Blues media ask more right / tougher questions to Blues management or this current state is just good - no change to media showcase.

Mod's can you add it?

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Is it possible to add poll - Should Blues media ask more right / tougher questions to Blues management or this current state is just good - no change to media showcase.

Mod's can you add it?

I can't imagine many would say no change necessary.

JR says things he disagrees with in his chats, but rarely asks questions in regard to those thoughts.

I am tired of our media sucking up to Hitch and Army. Guys won't say anything negative or challenging during Q&As hardly at all. They aren't afraid to pat our GM or Coach on the back however.

It's gotten to the point where only skim articles for quotes. I really don't care what our writers think. We have much better and often informed discussion here about hockey.

Also Bernie is a horrible person to read when it comes to hockey. He is that guy who acts like he knows things, but knows so very little.

Last edited:

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007

Mod's can you add it?

I think the answer is already there but it is what it is.

JR is a nice guy but he gives the team a pass all the time. He's supposed to ask those tough questions, not be a lackey for the team.

Wish Timmerman and Luecking were still covering the team.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I mean if I want hockey insight, I read this board, and more specifically a handful of posters. While it's great to have a place like this to talk about what we all enjoy, it's kind of pathetic that HF Boards has to be the go-to instead of people that get paid to write/talk about the Blues.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Time for a HF Blues weekend podcast hosted by Easton and Multi with special guest appearances.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
It'snot a uniquely Blues issue. When I wander thru other teams' pages here, it seems like a very common complaint.

Maybe the small market teams but you go to Chicago, Detroit, NY, LA, Dallas..those people aren't trying to be best friends with the coach and players.

That's the big issue here. JR and Lou want to be buddies with these guys instead of asking questions and keeping them true.

Last edited by a moderator:

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I've heard more blunt and accurate criticism of the team from D'Marco Farr.

Thats how bad it is.

Criticizing the team is not even remotely the same as reporting.
People need to learn the difference between the two.
Reporting is supposed to be unbiased and IMO JR does a fair job of that in his articles and interviews.

"Asking the tough questions" isn't reporting, it's directing opinion. That's the kind of garbage you get from "News" groups that push political agenda's(Fox, CNN, MSNBC, Huffington Post, etc). I don't want those types of "reports" in regards to the Blues. Report the actual facts and let people make up their own minds.

The "problem with the St Louis media" is that fans decide for themselves what is going on and then want the reporters to write something that supports their opinion to give them some kind of justification for their opinions. When they don't get the quotes they want or hear things that directly contradict their opinions, they blame the media for it instead of adjusting their opinion.

I would have no issue adding some opinion columnists to the media mix, but for actual reporting JR and Korac do a good enough job.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Criticizing the team is not even remotely the same as reporting.
People need to learn the difference between the two.
Reporting is supposed to be unbiased and IMO JR does a fair job of that in his articles and interviews.

"Asking the tough questions" isn't reporting, it's directing opinion. That's the kind of garbage you get from "News" groups that push political agenda's(Fox, CNN, MSNBC, Huffington Post, etc). I don't want those types of "reports" in regards to the Blues. Report the actual facts and let people make up their own minds.

The "problem with the St Louis media" is that fans decide for themselves what is going on and then want the reporters to write something that supports their opinion to give them some kind of justification for their opinions. When they don't get the quotes they want or hear things that directly contradict their opinions, they blame the media for it instead of adjusting their opinion.

I would have no issue adding some opinion columnists to the media mix, but for actual reporting JR and Korac do a good enough job.

I just don't understand why is that direct opinion. I think direct opinion is when you write article and say like, "Blues need new path, Army and Hitch out"?

Asking tough and right questions in press conferences/after games is my opinion good journalist. Totally different thing.

I think its kind of propaganda if some writer(s) are writing all what Blues management is saying and allowing.

You have to be quite naive if you think JR isn't saying in those articles what he thinks about Blues and favoring Blues management. Shouln't media be neutral what they write about? But yeah that might cost JR's job as a Blues insider.

I think this thing getting wrong line now, but yeah.

I don't blame JR and I think he is the best one what we have. Maybe 'cus he is active and just write stuff.

I think we are going to see turning point and some one journalist are speaking up soon if Blues continue fail as a team and franchise. Now media is just swallowing all what Blues management is saying. Is that giving fans and people decide by himself they opinion about Blues.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
....Hence as others have stated its a small town. Not top tier for sports reporting....

I disagree completely. I think JR and Goold are both really, really, really good beat writers. JR broke the EJ/Shattenkirk trade like at some odd hour in the morning. Miklasz is a great columnist when he wants to be, but cater into the public opinion(see: his complete 180 opinion on Spagnuolo in 2011 and opinions on the Blues players come playoff time) in order to garner more page views etc. Thomas, as a beat writer, is not that good, IMO. He is not impartial what so ever in his coverage of the Rams, which was a problem with Spagnuolo and his reporting after Hewitt being fired, IMO. Gordon is OK as is Strauss. But the Post-Dispatch coverage is above average, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad