Speculation: St. Louis Blues - All Time Team?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Just for fun:

Pavol Demitra - Pierre Turgeon - Brett Hull
Brian Sutter - Doug Gilmour - Joe Mullen
Keith Tkachuk - Adam Oates - Brendan Shanahan
David Backes - Doug Weight - Alexander Steen

Al MacInnis - Chris Pronger
Alex Pietrangelo - Alexander Khavanov
Rob Ramage - Jeff Brown

Curtis Joseph
Grant Fuhr

(All in their prime)

How would this team do in todays NHL?

"How can you have him with ..." and "Why do you not pick ..." I look forward to a scary aha experience of having missed the big names that should have been included.

Feel free to make your own all-time team....

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I'll do mine later but Khavanov? Are you kidding me? Also missing the Blues all time leading scorer

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
You forgot Bernie Federko, a HoFer and the franchise leading scorer....

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
At work so don't have time to really post my own just throw out a couple names you missed...

Bernie Federko
Scott Stevens
Dale Hawerchuk
Guy Lapointe

oh and there was also this guy we had for a short while who wore an upside down 66 for his number.

Granted we didn't have some of these players for very long but they were technically Blues at one time.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
This was asked for all teams on the main forum. I put forth a Blues roster. I was the only one I saw do one for the Blues before I stopped following the thread. Here is what I wrote:

Blues roster:

Brendan Shanahan - Adam Oates - Brett Hull
Brian Sutter - Wayne Gretzky - Dale Hawerchuk (usually a center)
Keith Tkachuk - Bernie Federko - Pavol Demitra
Geoff Courtnall - Doug Weight - Scott Young
Scratches : Doug Gilmour - Gary Unger

Chris Pronger - Al MacInnis
Scott Stevens - Barclay Plager
Pietrangelo - Bouwmeester
Scratches: Rob Ramage, Steve Duchesne

Mike Liut, Jacques Plante, Grant Fuhr (press box), Cujo (honorable mention)

Note: Petrangelo is based on a projected prime as hopefully he hasn't hit it yet. I also made liberal use of guys who only played a season or two for the Blues because it would be hard to field a respectable team otherwise. I am taking them in their prime, not necessarily, when they played for us. A couple picks are stretches, but I didn't follow hockey near as much before the mid-90s, so some older players probably escaped me. This is from memory so I probably just outright missed a few as well. I struggled on D and the wings. Hopefully another fan can shore it up to be competitive with other teams.

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
All-Time Blues Team - Skaters (Minimum 328 GP)

Tkachuk - Federko - Hull
Berenson - Unger - Demitra
B. Sutter(A) - Gilmour - Backes
Steen - Weight - Oshie

Conroy
Babych

Pronger - MacInnis(A)
Ba. Plager(C) - Brown
P. Cavallini - Ramage

Bo. Plager

All-Time Blues Team - Goaltending (Minimum 164 GP)
Joseph
Liut

All-Time Blues Team - Skaters (More GP for St. Louis than any other franchise)

Berenson - Federko - Hull
B. Sutter(A) - Unger - Demitra
An. McDonald - Turgeon - Babych
Steen - Backes - Oshie

Perron
Young

Pronger(A) - Pietrangelo
Ba. Plager(C) - Brown
P. Cavallini - Ramage

Bo. Plager

All-Time Blues Team - Goaltending (More GP for St. Louis than any other franchise)

Joseph
Liut

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
:laugh: Khavanov

Come on no love for Eric Weinrich? How about Todd Rierdon? Was Chris McAlpine not available?

medkit

Mar 22, 2014
Yeah I'll take Glenn Hall over CuJo any day of the week. He had more shutouts his first NHL season (12) than CuJo in his first 8 (11). Also invented the butterfly, played 500+ games in a row (record), had a better career GAA, won the Vezina 3 times compared to 0, holds the record for most 1st team all star picks, and also has the cup(x2)/Conn Smythe/Calder. Hall is an all time great and single handedly got us closer to a cup than anyone else in Blues history.

Plante is real close and should be #1 for most (7 Vezinas, 5 cups, often considered GOAT goalie) but takes the backup spot for me. CuJo goes to the Peoria dream team.

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Just for fun:

Pavol Demitra - Pierre Turgeon - Brett Hull
Brian Sutter - Doug Gilmour - Joe Mullen
Keith Tkachuk - Adam Oates - Brendan Shanahan
David Backes - Doug Weight - Alexander Steen

Alex Pietrangelo - Alexander Khavanov
Rob Ramage - Jeff Brown

Curtis Joseph
Grant Fuhr

(All in their prime)

How would this team do in todays NHL?

"How can you have him with ..." and "Why do you not pick ..." I look forward to a scary aha experience of having missed the big names that should have been included.

Feel free to make your own all-time team....

Khavanov over Scott Stevens or Barc Plager, and ahead of Ramage????

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Scott Stevens's name should be censored on the Blues' board. I don't even like reading it.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
definitely have to have some old guys on your list...

Hall/Plante (what playoff puck did Joseph ever stop...:laugh:)
Federko/Unger/Berenson/Petterson (put up a lot of points in a short time)
Barc Plager he would be your captain
Bob Gassoff or Twister...need an enforcer

4th line center and penalty killer would definitely have to be Larry Patey. No one did it better.

Last edited:

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
definitely have to have some old guys on your list...

Hall/Plante (what playoff puck did Joseph ever stop...:laugh:)
Federko/Unger/Berenson/Petterson (put up a lot of points in a short time)
Barc Plager he would be your captain
Bob Gassoff or Twister...need an enforcer

4th line center and penalty killer would definitely have to be Larry Patey. No one did it better.

This. :handclap:

And old time goalies from the mid 1970's Yves Belanger and Ed Stanowski :naughty:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Bernie Federko - Garry Unger - Brett Hull
Pavol Demitra - Doug Gilmour - Brendan Shanahan
Brian Sutter - Pierre Turgeon - Joey Mullen
Keith Tkachuk-Red Berenson - David Backes
Jorgen Pettersson-Adam Oates-Rod Brind'Amour
Wayne Babych

Alex Pietrangelo - Scott Stevens
Rob Ramage - Barc Plager
Jay Bouwmeester - Bob Plager

Glen Hall
Jacques Plante
Mike Liut

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Bernie Federko - Garry Unger - Brett Hull
Pavol Demitra - Doug Gilmour - Brendan Shanahan
Brian Sutter - Pierre Turgeon - Joey Mullen
Keith Tkachuk-Red Berenson - David Backes
Jorgen Pettersson-Adam Oates-Rod Brind'Amour
Wayne Babych

Alex Pietrangelo - Scott Stevens
Rob Ramage - Barc Plager
Jay Bouwmeester - Bob Plager

Glen Hall
Jacques Plante
Mike Liut
Perfect, Robb, perfect!:yo:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Perfect, Robb, perfect!:yo:

I've been around for The Blues' entire existence. I remember them all. Tough to choose between some. They all have strength and weaknesses and one has to weigh them and average them out, and compare those "overall ratings". Very tough, especially when considering that the game changed over the years.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I've been around for The Blues' entire existence. I remember them all. Tough to choose between some. They all have strength and weaknesses and one has to weigh them and average them out, and compare those "overall ratings". Very tough, especially when considering that the game changed over the years.

If you don't mind my asking, why did you become a Blues fan Robb? You live in the Netherlands, so it isn't a local team. If you were around when they started, you probably rooted for one of the original 6 before hand. You are clearly on the Blues HF board All-time team, so I'm curious what drew you to our franchise.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I'm half Dutch and half Canadian, but I grew up in Winnipeg, Manitoba in the 1940s and 1950s. We didn't have an NHL team, of course. We Westerners were bitter rivals of people from Ontario and Québec. So, it was not really possible to root for The Leafs or Habs. We had close family in Chicago, and visited them around Christmas and in summers. So, I became a Blackhawks fan. They were terrible in the late '40s and much of the '50s. But they started to get good when they brought up Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita. I was a big fan of Glenn Hall. As a Hawks fan, i also rooted for The St. Louis Braves of The CHL (their top farm team). When The Blues drafted Glen Hall, they instantly became my 2nd favourite NHL team. I was angry at The Wirtzes for not putting more money into The Hawks, and for letting Hall go.

But, when The Blues traded for Ab McDonald, our Winnipeg neighbour, and good family friend (we were friendly with his whole family), The Blues became my favourite team. We were very impressed with what The Salomons were doing with The St. Louis franchise, in making them more like The Original 6, than like the other expansion teams. Too bad Sid III didn't know how to run the franchise well, and Scotty Bowman ended up leaving. In any case, even after Glenn and Ab were gone, I remained a Blues fan first, and Hawks fan only 2nd.

Hockey was my life when i was young. We had a backyard rink, and i played from the time i could barely walk, into junior A. I coached a little in youth hockey, as well.

I moved back to The Netherlands in 1972, but spend a few months in Winnipeg each year, and a little time in l.A., too.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Do any current Blues make the All-Time squad? Maybe Backes as a 4th-liner...but that's about it.

Shanny-Oates-Hull
Gilmour-Federko-Mullen
Demitra-Unger-Sutter
Babych-Turgeon-Backes
extra: Brindamour, Berenson

Pronger-MacInnis
Stevens-Brown
Barc Plager-Ramage
extra: Gassoff/Petro

Hall/Luit
Plante

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Do any current Blues make the All-Time squad? Maybe Backes as a 4th-liner...but that's about it.

Shanny-Oates-Hull
Gilmour-Federko-Mullen
Demitra-Unger-Sutter
Babych-Turgeon-Backes
extra: Brindamour, Berenson

Pronger-MacInnis
Stevens-Brown
Barc Plager-Ramage
extra: Gassoff/Petro

Hall/Luit
Plante
If the Blues win a Cup, it will be because Pietro cemented himself on this list. But right now, its still just promise and potential for a great career. He's very good, but I want him to be our Lidstrom.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
If you don't mind my asking, why did you become a Blues fan Robb? You live in the Netherlands, so it isn't a local team. If you were around when they started, you probably rooted for one of the original 6 before hand. You are clearly on the Blues HF board All-time team, so I'm curious what drew you to our franchise.

Well, Majority of One, did I answer your question to your satisfaction? Many Canadians (who don't have a team in a given league representing their own city, become a fan of a given team because a family member or friend of his or hers joins that team. For whatever reason, out of fan loyalty, they find it hard to change allegiance to another team, after having rooted for that team for several years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad