OT: Stützle Tkatchuk Chabot Batherson Norris Sanderson - What Are Your Honest Thoughts About This Core?

How would you rank them?

• Elite

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Very Good

Votes: 27 31.4%
  • Good, not great

Votes: 35 40.7%
  • Below Average

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 6 7.0%

• Total voters

Adrianopolous

Oct 5, 2017
Delray Beach, Florida
Let's be honest in terms in terms of how we see this core progressing into the future.

I have to be honest and go with below average. I have not been impressed with these boys despite individual stats. There's potential but there's just something missing, I am having a hard time putting a finger on it.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Between good and very good.......but that's if the team reaches their potential. Got to get their game fixed first.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think we need to give the coaching staff more time to see how they can impact this team and the core players.
There is so much disarray and inconsistency in the way they play as a team right now . Good idea to evaluate but lets give it a month.

Overall team construction lacks some depth and it lacks 2 way players . A couple - three of good 2 way vets would have made a big difference to this roster over the rebuild and now.

I think the D corps lacks size and toughness as well.

The big name hunting costing picks and loss of some players has hurt the team

Reactions: Erik Alfredsson

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
Good core with a lot of missing pieces. Need to surround them with some more physical D and better defensive forwards to compliment their skill.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I went with good not great, I think they are very good offensively, but they don't seem to have a great hockey sense or IQ. And they seem to have a hard grasping the concept of how to defend, you don't win on talent alone in this league, you need to have desire and the mind set that playing without the puck is as important as playing with it. Maybe they just need to mature a little bit more I hope so.

Reactions: LiseL

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
It's good, nothing Great

Norris and Batherson are very average with both having glaring weakness, one with defense and other one with offensive, respectively

Tkachuk is good and works well with high end offensive skill players, but lacks high-end talent himself. His offensive skill sets and passing skills are limited, skating is limited, defense is bad. He does have a good/great deceptive shot and is great as physicality.

Chabot has the potential to be a top1 defenseman. I believe he can be your top pairing guy, especially paired up with another top pairing defenseman. His game can can be tuned up under a proper coach, especially if you cut down his minutes

Stutzle and Sanderson seem to be the only 2 players who have the potential to be more than great. In my opinion these are the only 2 untouchable from our core... (for now)

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
A more appropriate question is whether or not the core is the right 'mix' to be elite.

Skill for skill they are good to great and that's fine, you don't need to be elite on paper. You need the right mix of players and the right coaching. Those two things can take a good to great core and make them elite in terms of team play.

So, is our core the right mix?

If Brady and Stu play to their maximum potential as we have seen extended stretches of than I would say yes with a caveat being that we don't have a goalie in our core. I think if you believe in Brady as a consistent leader and Stu as a top ten player in the league than you have your answer.

I'll add to that that I think a balanced core is better than a top heavy core like TOR or EDM so I'm very much ok not having a generational talent on this team.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Good and very talented core individually but do not work well cohesively as a team at the moment.

A good hockey teacher at a young age would have been instrumental to their development.

In addition to that the team is lacking in some areas that some have already mentioned. We need more sandpaper and size sprinkled throughout the lineup.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Very good core based on what results?
It's very hard to analyze this core given that we had an AHL-level coach at very best and our GM was passable at very, very best. Our pro scouting has been tepid. The way I see this, Tkachuk is capable of 70-80 points and 150 PIM, complete shit-disturbing king out there. Stu is a 40+ goal, 80+ forward, just killer. Batherson another 35+ goal forward. The D is another case but Sanders, JBD, Chabot are all fine. They're above average. Norris is obviously very good as well, lots of room there for improvement.

So...with a real coach, and some veterans that aren't just puppets for local media but have actual insight on team deployments etc. this team is able to get a WC spot and challenge FLA/TOR for 3rd in the Atlantic right? This isn't a bad core, it's a very good core surrounded by poor support pieces and an excruciatingly idiotic coaching staff until Martin/Alfredsson arrives.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
This is peak bad fan base mentality. Colorado had the worst season of all time and didn’t panic trade duchene they got their value and waited it out with their core and eventually won a cup. I think this group is as good as that team was at the time and can also achieve similar heights with the right luck.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Let's be honest in terms in terms of how we see this core progressing into the future.

I have to be honest and go with below average. I have not been impressed with these boys despite individual stats. There's potential but there's just something missing, I am having a hard time putting a finger on it.
Premature thread
Dorion/Melnik - creating havoc outstide of the rink
Smith - didn't adapt his junior coaching style to NHL'ers
Many injuries to core players (Batherson, Chabot, Norris) and Covid

The something missing are more games played in a good STABLE environment.
Give this group - Martin/Alfie & Staios/Bowness/Poulin a season to break bad playing habits and to teach the kids how to play as a team.

In the mean time I'll be waiting for your new thread about firing the team doctor

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

They are not disciplined or mature. And I don't mean disciplined in terms of taking penalties.

They cheat all over the ice. Their numbers look better than they are because they cheat. If they played properly, they could win more games, but they wouldn't look individually as good.

Offensive players look better in a 6-4 loss than in a 2-1 win.

I don't think they're mature or defensively disciplined enough to win...and I'm not sure they're talented enough to score a bunch of goals while playing a defense first game.

I think we've overestimated this core.

They're not THAT young.

Zub is 28.
Chabot is 27 in a few weeks.
Joseph is 27 next month.
Batherson is 26 in April.
Chychrun is 26 in March.
Norris is 25 this spring as well.
Brady is 24.

And these guys haven't come close to sniffing the playoffs in their careers.

They even have proven leadership and winners in guys like Giroux and Tarasenko who have both played generally well to great.

We also have young stutzle and Sanderson contributing, and yet that 24-28 year old core of guys still can't get out of the bottom of the league.

There is something rotten in this core somewhere. Not sure what it is.

Reactions: Alex1234

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad