Stéphane Robidas becomes consultant for Leafs (unofficial retirement)

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
Thats just poor journalism.

This is the exact same situation as Pronger.

Don't believe Pronger is retired. If he had, he would not get his NHL contract salary. It appears Robidas is not getting remaining salary on last year (1M).

I think Salary cap hit stays but the article by Hornby confused issue. Maybe the Leafs just want the contract gone...

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
So is he actually retired or just LTIRetired?

I'd assume not offcially because he wouldn't get his money. The cap hit stays anyway because of the 35+ rule. Actually it's better for the Leafs if it's not official because if it's not official maybe they can LTIR him. I don't believe you can LTIR someone who's retired officially and burning you on the 35+ rule.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Don't believe Pronger is retired. If he had, he would not get his NHL contract salary. It appears Robidas is not getting remaining salary on last year (1M).

I think Salary cap hit stays but the article by Hornby confused issue. Maybe the Leafs just want the contract gone...

It makes no sense for both parties for him to actually be retired, so I cant see that being the case tbh.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Its poor reporting by someone who doesnt understand the CBA. Hes not retired, as he wouldnt get his money if he was.

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
It makes no sense for both parties for him to actually be retired, so I cant see that being the case tbh.

Strange indeed. Only thing I see?!? Because he is injured, are the Leafs giving him a job for 1M because they can't buy him out, and clear a contract space they want.

Edited for better wording...

Last edited:

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Strange indeed. Only thing I see, is that Leafs are giving him a job for 1M because they can't buy him out as he is injured, and it clears a contract space they want.

There's no way to clear the space. It's a +35 contract.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
There's no way to clear the space. It's a +35 contract.

contract space, under the 50 contract limit. Not cap space.

People confuse this all the time when I say "contract dump" too. Which to be fair, contract dump is a popular way of saying cap dump because you're dumping a bad contract. But I say contract and cap dump meaning different things. Tyler Biggs and Tim Erixon in the Kessel trade were contract dumps. Colin Greening was a cap dump. The Grabner trade was 5 contract dumps for a cap dump.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Strange indeed. Only thing I see?!? Because he is injured, are the Leafs giving him a job for 1M because they can't buy him out, and clear a contract space they want.

Edited for better wording...

Giving him a front office job with pay out of line with his abilities (which 1M for being a consultant with zero experience obviously would be) is against the CBA.

It's the exact same situation as Pronger. He's injured and won't play again so the Leafs are giving him something to do. His cap hit still applies and he'll be LTIR'd at the start of the season just like Pronger.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Just to point out the Leafs can't pay him any additional compensation to be a consultant while he's still under contract.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Never heard about Chris Pronger?

Robidas hasn't skated in a year, he'll stay on the IR just like Pronger has.

As far as I recall, Pronger has not retired, so can go on LTIR.

Robidas has retired, so his cap hit counts and he cannot go on LTIR.

PS: Just saw that he might not have retired...

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
This is more comparable to Peverley who worked as an unofficial coach/scout until his contract expired(and was then officially hired) than Pronger who is employed by a completely separate organization and receives a paycheck. Robidas has not retired and he is not being paid outside of his contract. Doing so would violate the CBA.

Satastic

Nazi punks **** off
Sep 12, 2014
Riverbank, CA
He had a good career, it's just awful luck on his part that he broke his leg twice in the same season. I think that's what really did him in.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
As far as I recall, Pronger has not retired, so can go on LTIR.

Robidas has retired, so his cap hit counts and he cannot go on LTIR.

PS: Just saw that he might not have retired...

He won't get that 3m if he retires. Next summer he'll make it official.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He had a good career, it's just awful luck on his part that he broke his leg twice in the same season. I think that's what really did him in.

But somehow they Leafs gave him a three year contract after those injuries happened.

Mad Brills*

I get giving him 2 years even, but the 3rd year was a killer.

He'd be off the books now.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
But somehow they Leafs gave him a three year contract after those injuries happened.

That's what I couldn't figure out....I remember having to re-read the signing after I first heard about it.

Who signs a veteran player coming off two broken legs, to a three-year deal? :laugh:

That said, I also thought at the time that if anyone could claw their way back from such an injury, it'd be a warrior like Robi. Tough to see him go out with a whimper like he has with the Leafs. :help:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
That's what I couldn't figure out....I remember having to re-read the signing after I first heard about it.

Who signs a veteran player coming off two broken legs, to a three-year deal? :laugh:

That said, I also thought at the time that if anyone could claw their way back from such an injury, it'd be a warrior like Robi. Tough to see him go out with a whimper like he has with the Leafs. :help:

David Nonis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad