Stéphane Robidas becomes consultant for Leafs (unofficial retirement)

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Stephane Robidas has resurfaced as a Maple Leafs consultant.

The 39-year-old defenceman, who injured a leg in training camp last season and did not play all year, joined assistant general manager Mark Hunter and Leaf scouts here Friday for the opening of the four team NHL rookie tournament.

"I'll be doing some work at this event, with the Marlies and some NCAA," said Robidas.

He said he will continue to be based in Montreal where he has family. He said he hasn't been able to work out since getting hurt and has difficulty with activities such as tennis.

The move to the hockey department effectively retires Robidas and his $3 million US salary, which had one more year to run. Asked about Robidas's new duties, Hunter directed the question to GM Lou Lamoriello.
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/09/16/stephane-robidas-takes-consultant-role-with-maple-leafs

Last edited by a moderator:

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Solid player. Great career in Dallas. Very gritty.

Got a nice $9m parting gift from the Leafs for nothing. There's no ducking that +35 cap hit.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Had a nice career. Guy wasn't Raffi Torres dirty or anything, but he did work with his stick. Broke Thornton's finger with a slash before the playoffs in '12.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I'm surprised nobody has inferred the Leafs are manipulating the salary cap or something yet

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
His contract has not hurt us at all

It would be hard and bordering on impressive to make a questionable enough contract to hurt a team that finished 30th and doesn't look to be competing in the short-term.

It was a bad contract. There's literally nothing wrong in admitting that. My team has one much more egregious than Robidas'.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
very gritty and one of those guys who went all out each game

hated him before he came to the ducks but it really bummed me out to see him go down in that dallas series

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
My assumption is leafs offered him a job at same rate. Since he retires, it just becomes dead cap which makes him easier to move to anyone who is willing to take it for a pick or prospect we have no room for.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Solid player. Great career in Dallas. Very gritty.

Got a nice $9m parting gift from the Leafs for nothing. There's no ducking that +35 cap hit.

It's crazy how fast mentalities can change. In 2016, a guy like Seidenberg is still looking for a one-year deal while three years ago GMs were willing to throw rich multi-year contract at aging defencemen like Ference and Robidas.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Too much was asked of Robidas in his later years in Dallas, but he always gave total effort and led by example. I will always have a lot of respect for the way he played.

Mad Brills*

He's a a 35+ contract so unless he retired he was getting paid regardless. Better to let people know than have a repeat of last year where he legit was gone from the team for months.

chatty4756

Apr 6, 2016
Its no different then the pronger situation, at least the team that signed robidas to the contract is still using him in some capacity instead of trading the contract away

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Is he or is he not actually retired ? Because there's a pretty big difference in the implications of the two. "Effectively retired" has no meaning.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
My assumption is leafs offered him a job at same rate. Since he retires, it just becomes dead cap which makes him easier to move to anyone who is willing to take it for a pick or prospect we have no room for.

Hes not officially retiring, hes on LTIR. The Leafs just gave him something to do.

Being on LTIR we can use his capspace if we need it.

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
Hes not officially retiring, hes on LTIR. The Leafs just gave him something to do.

Being on LTIR we can use his capspace if we need it.

According to article in Sun by Hornby, Robidas retired and the cap hit is gone. Not sure if he's right or accurate but here is what he said: "More significantly, the retirement takes the last year of his $3 million US cap hit off the books."

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/09/1...spect-shines-for-maple-leafs-against-senators

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad