SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
I made a mock trade offer on the Petes page that @Section5Petes seemed to like!

Christopher Brown (2006 born, 1st round pick 2022 draft)
Matthew Virgilio (2006 born, 4th round pick 2022 draft, was going NCAA but committed to the Soo)
2024 2nd round pick
2024 2nd round pick FLNT
2025 3rd round pick SAG
2026 3rd round pick KGN
2024 4th round pick NB

For Beck and Konnor Smith.

I believe this would leave the Soo with 2 2nds, 1 3rd and 6 4ths still.
Commented over there so I'll do the same here. I added I'd switch Evans for virgilio and Good points were made saying one is proven and one is not, and also it's very early and Evans may surpass virgilio.

I'd rather add another 3rd to the deal and keep virgilio. I feel he will be a stud defenceman in the future

Reactions: Section5Petes

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'll put money that London could use some of the picks they siphoned off Niagara and gets beck before the soo or saggy does... just a hunch!
Probably not unless Nichol is as good as Patterson and/or Saginaw & SSM players used NTC to not go to the Petes.
I can see London using up their picks getting a sweet deal for A.Young because he would not accept a trade away from Misa and the Memorial Cup for anyone other than home town Knights.
I’m not convinced London is a buyer in a year that Saginaw & Guelph will be, OS & SSM might be, and Erie & Flint can be very good for middling teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: HF92

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Probably not unless Nichol is as good as Patterson and/or Saginaw & SSM players used NTC to not go to the Petes.
I can see London using up their picks getting a sweet deal for A.Young because he would not accept a trade away from Misa and the Memorial Cup for anyone other than home town Knights.
I’m not convinced London is a buyer in a year that Saginaw & Guelph will be, OS & SSM might be, and Erie & Flint can be very good for middling teams.
With Rob Wilson as coach and team being more competitive the Petes no longer have issues of players refusing to come to Peterborough. In fact the Petes are a preferred destination. In 2020 Akil Thomas chose to be traded to Peterborough over being traded to either London or Ottawa and last year both Connor Lockhart and Brennan Othmann asked to be traded to the Petes.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
With Rob Wilson as coach and team being more competitive the Petes no longer have issues of players refusing to come to Peterborough. In fact the Petes are a preferred destination. In 2020 Akil Thomas chose to be traded to Peterborough over being traded to either London or Ottawa and last year both Connor Lockhart and Brennan Othmann asked to be traded to the Petes.

Ya he was saying it's not likely to happened, noone would use their ntc.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
you're right, it shouldn't. pre-season is meaningless games with B-squads dressed and top players still at NHL camps.
it’s got nothing to do with preseason records and everything to do with projected team quality based on rosters.

you're right, it shouldn't. pre-season is meaningless games with B-squads dressed and top players still at NHL camps.
it’s got nothing to do with preseason records and everything to do with projected team quality based on rosters

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Not at all saying the Petes have issues with players reporting. I”m suggesting A.Young may not want to leave Saginaw; why would he?

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
The indigenous themed jerseys for the Bawating Greyhounds are sick! Probably my favourite themed jersey I've seen. Time to break out the credit card. Great job hounds!

1695735611490.png

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
The indigenous themed jerseys for the Bawating Greyhounds are sick! Probably my favourite themed jersey I've seen. Time to break out the credit card. Great job hounds!

View attachment 746308

So a back story about this. I know Tom well, I told Tom a year or 2 ago that he needed to contact the Greyhounds about doing an indigenous theme jersey and him creating it.... he did contact the team with no response(plus he was a busy guy, so he maybe couldn't get to it at that time also). A year or so later they contacted him and asked if he'd still like to do it!

Tom is a great guy and an outstanding artist. He has work in the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto. Here is a little backstory about the artist himself.

So i came here to post this and it keeps tying it into one post:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Yup. I agree 100%. They could have some issues adding, that people haven't considered.

Would you want to leave? Lol
I think people over blow how often players use NTC’s. GM’s, for the most part, try to do right by players. Plus players have long term goals. Getting 5 minutes a night on a memorial cup team isn’t going to be as helpful as top 6 minutes on a worse team. If you trust the team you’re getting moved to will do a good job of building up, you waive the NTC.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
I think people over blow how often players use NTC’s. GM’s, for the most part, try to do right by players. Plus players have long term goals. Getting 5 minutes a night on a memorial cup team isn’t going to be as helpful as top 6 minutes on a worse team. If you trust the team you’re getting moved to will do a good job of building up, you waive the NTC.

I totally disagree with this. 5 minutes in your rookie year in the Memorial Cup, or 15 minutes in your rookie year on the London Knights who are trying to also win the Memorial Cup? I disagree.. Aiden Young is in a position to play in the Memorial Cup 100% today.

If you want to talk about the long haul, Aiden Young is in a better position to wait it out a year and have MORE ice time in Saginaw than anywhere else in the next two years... Saginaw will need to sell off its big asset and Youngs icetime will increase. If im Young, im not moving. The only variable I think of is family, being from London and played in London.

I do agree that people think players use NTCs more than they actually do but in this situation, i totally disagree with what you're saying specifically about Aiden Young.

Disclaimer: Seeing Stephen Colbert pop up on my screen makes me so mad, but laugh at the same time LOL @Kingpin794

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i can't see better exposure for an undrafted player than mem cup experience but he's also one of their few tradeable assets.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I totally disagree with this. 5 minutes in your rookie year in the Memorial Cup, or 15 minutes in your rookie year on the London Knights who are trying to also win the Memorial Cup? I disagree.. Aiden Young is in a position to play in the Memorial Cup 100% today.

If you want to talk about the long haul, Aiden Young is in a better position to wait it out a year and have MORE ice time in Saginaw than anywhere else in the next two years... Saginaw will need to sell off its big asset and Youngs icetime will increase. If im Young, im not moving. The only variable I think of is family, being from London and played in London.

I do agree that people think players use NTCs more than they actually do but in this situation, i totally disagree with what you're saying specifically about Aiden Young.
That, and value of OHL TOI for 16 yr olds is over blown. Kids hold out to be assigned to jr affiliates of the Knights.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
So i came here to post this and it keeps tying it into one post:

This is a common theme in the Soo
“He’s really taken on a leadership role and there’s a maturity to his game,” the GM said. “Just talking to him, he seems like a completely different person. I’ve really been impressed with him.”

Upon reflection, a big part of Sirizzotti’s effective play has to do with his comfort level.

He says he’s found a home in Sault Ste. Marie.

“This is the most welcomed and depended upon I’ve felt,” he added.

Former Soo Greyhounds come back to start families in the Soo, they visit often, and they speak so highly about the Soo. It seems once you're up here, you're stuck. I love to see it!! This is something I tried to explain in regards to us selling off players. It's not easy when people fall in love with this city. It's a city where you can focus on your game and really get better, not many outside distractions.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

Disclaimer: Seeing Stephen Colbert pop up on my screen makes me so mad, but laugh at the same time LOL @Kingpin794
1695738258620.gif

• Haha

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
This is a common theme in the Soo

Former Soo Greyhounds come back to start families in the Soo, they visit often, and they speak so highly about the Soo. It seems once you're up here, you're stuck. I love to see it!! This is something I tried to explain in regards to us selling off players. It's not easy when people fall in love with this city. It's a city where you can focus on your game and really get better, not many outside distractions.
I totally understand what you're saying. All I've been saying is, if you don't have a 1st round NTC, or negotiated NTC, nobody is obligated to keep you. If you can be traded to upgrade the team then it should happen.

Hunters don't make it personal and they win. Hamilton made 2 runs in 5 years with that model.

If you want to win, make the hard choices. If you're happy with one round, keep kids around and everyone happy.

I've never disagreed with your points, rather have another view.

Reactions: DWI Dale and HF92

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com

Ill never let him down for his comments about SSM on the Colbert Report LOL!!!!

I totally understand what you're saying. All I've been saying is, if you don't have a 1st round NTC, or negotiated NTC, nobody is obligated to keep you. If you can be traded to upgrade the team then it should happen.

Hunters don't make it personal and they win. Hamilton made 2 runs in 5 years with that model.

If you want to win, make the hard choices. If you're happy with one round, keep kids around and everyone happy.

I've never disagreed with your points, rather have another view.

I totally get your point of view. I think being down south makes this a lot easier in terms of relationships too. It's tough for sure. I think one bad trade in the Soo and you'll have players refusing to even come...

Reactions: Houndzfan20

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Ill never let him down for his comments about SSM on the Colbert Report LOL!!!!

I totally get your point of view. I think being down south makes this a lot easier in terms of relationships too. It's tough for sure. I think one bad trade in the Soo and you'll have players refusing to even come...
Being down south for sure makes thing much, much easier. But IMO, we have put together a really good program over the last 10-12 years and I'm hoping that one trade wouldn't affect a kid reporting. I honestly can't remember the last time a kid wouldn't report from either trade or draft. Excluding American flier picks.

Good debate

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes