SSM Greyhounds 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Nice writeup about the Summer Showcase here:
Team Canada Summer Showcase (U20 & U18)

"Bryce McConnell-Barker: Built solid and plays solid. Overall very strong game and above average shot. One practice he started by scoring on his first 3 or 4 shots while doing the drill. These were essentially shots off the rush where he simply sniped a corner on the goalies who were facing him square on. He looks like the type of player scouts will love. He checks all the boxes and pops in a couple of them."

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
NHL teams had to notify the OHL and NHL a couple of weeks ago if they were exercising the option to keep one of these kids up. There is a significant financial development fee that would be paid to the OHL team, to exercise this right.

My understanding:

Mysak - Back
O'Rourke - Back
Wisdom - Back
Foudy - Back

Perrault - Have not heard, assume he is staying with San Diego

Byfield - Not Back
Perfetti - Not back
Sebrango - Not back
Drysdale - Not back
Foerster - Not back

This could change as the season progresses.
I had heard that O'Rourke was going to be at the Greyhounds training camp. If this is true that he's back it is huge for us.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Sounds like Calisti, Kartye, and MacKay will all be at training camp. Haven't heard about the other OAs yet.

Reactions: PuckLife

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Sounds like everyone from our last 2 priority selections is coming, except for 6 Americans (Ziskie & Lewinski from 2005 draft, McGroarty & Varner & West & Muszelik from 2004 draft). There are also three unsigned players from the 2003 draft coming - Chiddenton & Parsons & C. Taylor. All 6 of our OAs should be in attendance too.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Our 5 FA invites are:
- a 2003 born goalie (catches left)
- a 2003 born defenseman (shoots right)
- 3 x 2004 born forwards (all shoot right)

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Interesting that we don't have any unsigned Americans coming. We haven't really invested much draft equity in highly touted Americans that were likely to report, but with both our mid-tier 2005 drafted Americans not reporting (Lewinski & Ziskie), I wonder if other teams in our league might find it harder to get their American prospects to come to their training camps, potentially some drafted much higher that had previously been expected to report?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Here are some of the higher unsigned draft picks that I am going to try to keep my eye on during the live streamed scrimmages:
TEAM RED
10 Gibson, Andrew (RD) - 2021, 4th
23 Allard, Owen (C) - 2020, 7th
25 Montroy, Ethan (LW) - 2021, 3rd
27 Parsons, Owen (RW) - 2019, 5th

TEAM WHITE
8 Carlisle, Caeden (LD) - 2020, 5th
24 Bellwood, Jax (LW) - 2020, 6th

And of course, all the goalies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Watched a bit of the live stream. Thought these players had a good scrimmage

Chiddenton 03
Brock 03
Ryan 04
Allard 04
Carlisle 04
Corte 05
Montroy 05
Gibson 05

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Yeah, I purposely skipped over our signed players during my evaluation. He looked great, as did Toms, Cloutier, and some of the other signed players.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It's really hard to tell on a live stream. I didn't mind Taylor and Schenkel but i wish they would stream the goalie sessions

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Rewatched the first scrimmage, and got the following scoring summary

Scrimmage 1

First Period - Ivanov (Red) and Schenkel (White)
White - Johnson from Carlisle
White - Corte from Toms
Red - Chiddenton unassisted

Second Period - Donaldson (Red) and Dunn (White)
White - McConnell-Barker from Mignosa and Hookey
Red - Campbell, S from Filip
Red - Parsons from Allard
White - Corte from Toms
Red - Allard from Dundas
Red - Bruztowski from Cloutier
Red - Chiddenton from Allard

Third Period - Taylor (Red) and Boyes (White)
Red - Chiddenton unassisted
Shots - Red 39 and White 36

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
A few more notes on the goalies from scrimmage 1:
Ivanov - seemed a little deep in his net, juggled the puck and failed to freeze on a few saves he should have been able to hold, and caught him over committing a few times to shots that missed the net. Very mobile, seemed to get more comfortable as the period wore on.
Schenkel - seemed very calm and confident in his positioning. Wasn't tested as much, but when he was he was in the right spot to make the save. Never seemed to panic.
Dunn - Seemed to have pretty good positioning, but just a little slow to react to some of the shots.
Donaldson - got beat on the first rush he faced by a great shot, but seemed to shake it off immediately and actually looked really good on my second watching. Great positioning thoughout.
Boyes - faced a lot of shots, but not too many quality chances. Some of his movements didn't seem as efficient as the other goalies but wasn't tested too much.
Taylor - looked really strong and comfortable. A couple of well timed poke checks, and a few beauty saves. Had more work than his opposite, but still won the period. I thought he turned in the best goalie performance of the game.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Watched part of scrimmage 2

Period 1 - Donaldson (red) and Dunn (white)
Red - ?
Red - ?
Red - Montroy
Red - Chiddenton from Gibson

Period 2 - Taylor (Red) and Boyes (white)
Red - Chiddenton
White - Corte
White - Spurrell
White - McConnell-Barker

Period 3 - Ivanov (red) and Schenkel (white)
White - ?
Red - D'Intino (EN)

Final 6-4 Red

Shootout:
White miss vs. Ivanov
Red miss vs. Schenkel
Ryan (white) miss vs Ivanov
Van De Ven (red) miss vs Schenke
Johnson (white) miss vs Ivanov
Shore (red) score vs. Schenkel
Carlisle (white) miss vs Ivanov
Gibson (red) score vs. Schenkel
Corte (white) score vs. Ivanov
D'Intino (red) miss vs. Schenkel

Notes:
Donaldson - pulled off a risky poke check in traffic, still looks very comfortable.
Taylor - busier than his opposite again. Let in three, but still looked pretty good
Boyes - again, not very busy.
Corte - might be the fastest player out there
Chiddenton - is building quite the case for himself, turning over lots of pucks on the forecheck and winning lots of battles to loose pucks in front
Carlisle - probably the most physical in camp so far
McConnell-Barker - excellent shot with a great quick release

Last edited:

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
I was multi-tasking during the morning scrimmage but Connor Toms looks very good.
Samuel Ivanov also looked good in his period as well as the shoot out.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
No Billy Constantinou on the updated roster...
Also no Matthew Halushak - according to the Soo Today article, he just had shoulder surgery. As per the same article Tyler Savard is also nursing an injury, but he is listed on Team Black - maybe his is just day-to-day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad