Proposal: Sprong for Honka?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Sure from Dallas. Sprong has some top 6 potential still, doesn't he? Could maybe be the jolt we need up there.

I like Honka and don't want to move him just yet, but he hasn't impressed enough at the NHL level in Dallas. Pittsburgh might be the perfect fit for him with the speed and puck-moving emphasis.

I feel like both players are in a similar position - they've produced well and shown enough to move up to the NHL level, but can't seem to stick there for whatever reason. Could be a good change of scenery and style for both.

I'd add a 4th or something to get it done, if needed.

Reactions: LiffLaff

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
Sprong has top six potential for sure, but with our rw depth, he's not going to get that opportunity.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Man if Honka got a chance on the Pens top PP unit he would light it up. I know he wouldn't get a chance right away, but Penguins seem to find success in our dmen that we don't need/that don't work out for us. He would be a great fit there.

Value seems fair

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Maybe Sprong could do the reverse Neal and explode when he gets to Dallas.

Like alot of Pens fans, I dont want to give up on Sprong yet but if he is just gonna be marginalized (its early days yet, I know) then this would be a great move. Plus, I like the idea of a third Finn on the blueline. Maybe Honka and Riikola could show OM a thing or two, because he needs the help.

Broad Street Buddies

Jun 16, 2018
Montréal
I am quite surprised that Pens fans like that one.

Wasn’t Sprong your top forward prospect not a long time ago? Maybe I am underestimating Honka?

Anyway, good job for the proposal!

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Really seems like Sprong won't see his chance with Sullivan. Maybe he's not doing the right things but a move makes sense.

Similar case for Honka.

Good job OP

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Pittsburgh had a need for d-men
Pittsburgh has a surplus of left wingers

Dallas has a need - depth scoring
Dallas has a surplus of d-men

Considers both teams needs, value is similiar. Well done op.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pittsburgh had a need for d-men
Pittsburgh has a surplus of left wingers

Dallas has a need - depth scoring
Dallas has a surplus of d-men

Considers both teams needs, value is similiar. Well done op.

No they don't, they need good defensemen. Honka isn't better than what they already have.

If Honka isn't waiver exempt, this deal doesn't make any sense for the Penguins. They already have 8 NHL defensemen with Schultz healthy. They don't need another depth defenseman, they need better than what they already have. When healthy, they already have:

Dumoulin-Letang
Riikola-Schultz
Maatta-Johnson
Oleksiak-Ruhwedel

All of those guys minus Riikola are waiver eligible, and Riikola is better than Honka.

Reactions: wej20
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Seems like good value for both sides (probably need a minor + from Dallas) as soon as Johns comes back and proves he is healthy enough to play, which could happen as soon as next week.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I don't really think Honka does anything for us at this point. Not really doubting his pedigree or potential, but I don't see his type of D-man being what we're short of. We have Ruhwedel on the bench most nights with Schultz out, and the good thing about a guy like Ruh is that he hardly ever hurts us and can be sat when we have a full deck.

Sprong... we might just have a really hard time getting to utilize him with the number of impact forwards we have, and there being precious few tickets for an offense first (or only) winger who should get PP time to really get going with his skillset. He does have high-end potential though, and if we were to deal him, I would rather that it was as a part of something bigger that actually improves us. Honka would just be a rival for 7th D-man duty absent a total transformation in his game.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Even with Schultz out, Pens have 7 NHL caliber defenseman. Riikola, who has played well after dazzling in the preseason, was just a HS to get Ruhwedel some ice time.

All of these guys are locked up long term, save Riikola. But with how he is looking, I’m sure JR will get him locked up as well by summer.

Not sure how Honka breaks into the lineup now, let alone when Schultz is back.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
I think Pitt wins the deal, but it's pretty close.
I think Honka is going to reach his potential very soon.
I'm calling late bloomer on him.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Honka to learn from Letang/Schultz and Sprong to learn from Seguin/Radulov

That’s a win win.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Even compared to AHL guys Honka looked like a little boy. He has great skating, but a long way to go to be able to overcome his frame. Totally doable. But, he has to get better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad