Blue Jays Discussion: Spring Training Madness the 1st: Canada/USA (WBC) Sunday @ 4pm ET/1pm PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
next up for us on TV is tomorrow's replay of Game 1 of the 93 World Series.

1pm ET/10am PT on all 4 sportsnet regional channels.

yay!

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst

Phillies have traded RH reliever Michael Schwimer to Blue Jays for 1B Art Charles, team just announced

For Art Charles? Solid move. Charles is basically a non-prospect and Schwimer has a couple of options left and provides more depth. He struggles with command but he can miss bats. Extreme flyball pitcher though. Velocity sits in the low 90's, can touch as high as 95-96 at best. FB/SL combo.

Jays will have 40 man roster spots open up as guys like Perez/Drabek/Hutchison/McGowan (perhaps Cooper as well?) hit the 60 man DL so they can fit these guys in. I'd like to see another move like that for an infielder (3rd/1B) and a starter. Could try claiming guys off waivers now as well.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Shi Davidi ‏@ShiDavidi

#BlueJays transfer Luis Perez to 60-day DL to make room for Schwimer.

Yup, as expected.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Love watching baseball again. That was a fun one to watch and I hope McCoy is alright. Lot's of misses calling for balls today. They'll need to correct that fast

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst

Phillies have traded RH reliever Michael Schwimer to Blue Jays for 1B Art Charles, team just announced

For Art Charles? Solid move. Charles is basically a non-prospect and Schwimer has a couple of options left and provides more depth. He struggles with command but he can miss bats. Extreme flyball pitcher though. Velocity sits in the low 90's, can touch as high as 95-96 at best. FB/SL combo.

Jays will have 40 man roster spots open up as guys like Perez/Drabek/Hutchison/McGowan (perhaps Cooper as well?) hit the 60 man DL so they can fit these guys in. I'd like to see another move like that for an infielder (3rd/1B) and a starter. Could try claiming guys off waivers now as well.

doesn't Charles have some good power though? Interesting to see the trades continuing already. We should save some spots for waiver pick ups. We may be able to find some good options with rosters filling up in the next few weeks.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Kinda surprising to get a guy with options who can challenge for a major league spot for a guy I've admittedly never heard of before...lol

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
doesn't Charles have some good power though? Interesting to see the trades continuing already. We should save some spots for waiver pick ups. We may be able to find some good options with rosters filling up in the next few weeks.

Yeah some power but not much other than that. He can take some walks too but huge holes in his swing. Tons of swing and misses and is now 22 years old who has yet to play in Lansing. You have to be an elite hitter in the minors as a 1st baseman to make it to the majors and Charles isn't that.

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009
Mike Wilner ‏@Wilnerness590
New #Bluejays arm! @jaysonst: Phillies have traded RH reliever Michael Schwimer to Blue Jays for 1B Art Charles, team just announced

Great trade. Even if he's only ever depth for us, Charles had big holes in his swing despite huge power. They would have made it hard for him to hit above A+

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009
Likely challenges for big-league spot. @Sinukoff: @Wilnerness590 Schwimer has impressive K/9 numbers. Where does he fit in the minors?

Anyone know if he has options? Maybe he could make it if Jeffress stinks? If not he'll be in AAA.

I don't see who he'd bump from the projected pen.

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009

Power at the low levels yes, but it's expected his swing will not play at the higher levels

I wonder if they'll simply claim as many as they have spots for, or if they'll try to sneak a few to Buffalo like before

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Anyone know if he has options? Maybe he could make it if Jeffress stinks? If not he'll be in AAA.

I believe he has two left. Refused to report to Triple A last year (he was saying he had an injury when he got sent down?) so I don't think that option was technically used up.

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009
I believe he has two left. Refused to report to Triple A last year (he was saying he had an injury when he got sent down?) so I don't think that option was technically used up.

I thought only vets (those with x number of years experience) could refuse an assignment?

EDIT: Just saw an article that he thought he should have been put on the DL instead. Is there a difference? If he hadn't gotten sent down would he have been paid as a major leaguer while on the DL?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Good depth move at the very least, can never have enough quality arms in the 'pen .. I like the K/9, could be a good late inning guy .. Is he a power arm?

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Yeah some power but not much other than that. He can take some walks too but huge holes in his swing. Tons of swing and misses and is now 22 years old who has yet to play in Lansing. You have to be an elite hitter in the minors as a 1st baseman to make it to the majors and Charles isn't that.

I just remembered there being some potential pop with him but also didn't realize he was 22.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I thought only vets (those with x number of years experience) could refuse an assignment?

EDIT: Just saw an article that he thought he should have been put on the DL instead. Is there a difference? If he hadn't gotten sent down would he have been paid as a major leaguer while on the DL?

I would imagine that's why he opposed it otherwise it wouldn't really make much sense.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada

I think so and I believe your service time continues to accumulate (someone else can confirm this for me). Who knows, he could really have been injured.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Campbell, Zaun and Morris are going to breakdown/analyze the game on SN in a few minutes if anyone cares

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
New #Bluejays arm! @jaysonst: Phillies have traded RH reliever Michael Schwimer to Blue Jays for 1B Art Charles, team just announced

phils fan, have seen a lot of Schwimer, jays are getting a decent young pitcher. If he ends up in AAA he should end up an All Star as i've seen him dominate at times for the phils AAA club. In the off-season it was speculated that he would be moved as the phils have a number of arms for the pen and are running out of places to put them, plus they had some issues with him last year regarding twitter and the injury dispute.

Not sure what impact he will have in the majors but at worst your getting a very good AAA arm imo.

yes he has options left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad