Blue Jays Discussion: Spring Training is over. The season begins today

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
It will be interesting to see what pitchers are sent down when they activate Romano and Swanson which could be as early as today. I’m hoping they keep Nate Pearson who has looked great early.

It wouldn’t shock me if they keep White and Pearson and send down Francis who has struggled and has an option and also Cabrera.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

Considering his career fWAR of of -1.1 over the course of 9 years, I'd say he had a much more lucrative time defrauding MLB GM's of ~15.7M during his career than he did defrauding insurance of ~$61k on... this.

Seriously, his Fangraphs page is genuine eye bleach material. You can google it out of curiosity because I'm pretty sure linking it is considered a Geneva Convention violation.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives

Considering his career fWAR of of -1.1 over the course of 9 years, I'd say he had a much more lucrative time defrauding MLB GM's of ~15.7M during his career than he did defrauding insurance of ~$61k on... this.

Seriously, his Fangraphs page is genuine eye bleach material. You can google it out of curiosity because I'm pretty sure linking it is considered a Geneva Convention violation.

That's elite DP fielder Yuniesky Betancourt to you!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Absolutely hate this.

It again speaks to running things off a computer rather than actually managing people and managing success.

His career started OK for the first couple years but then he lost it, which happens, but what was weird was how long he stayed in MLB as a regular starter despite being awful both offensively and defensively. And then as a light-hitting SS he was converted to a historically terrible 1B in one of the strangest career arcs ever.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I would have sent down Cabrera but it doesn’t really matter. We move on. Pearson will be up again at some point.
The numbers say that it's stupid to keep Francis on a team with Green and Richards where he's not pitching well and can be kept stretched out if he goes down.

Reactions: Forgotusername

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
The numbers say that it's stupid to keep Francis on a team with Green and Richards where he's not pitching well and can be kept stretched out if he goes down.
Fun fact: if 5 of your relievers can throw 2 innings every 2 days (give or take) and 3 can throw an inning every 3 of 5, then they can collectively throw 34 of any rolling 45 inning stretch. This is why dedicated longmen are stupid.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Fun fact: if 5 of your relievers can throw 2 innings every 2 days (give or take) and 3 can throw an inning every 3 of 5, then they can collectively throw 34 of any rolling 45 inning stretch. This is why dedicated longmen are stupid.
I hate the decision to send Pearson down and don't think Francis is necessary on the team right now, but expecting relievers to do anything close to that is a recipe for a whole lot of surgeries.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I hate the decision to send Pearson down and don't think Francis is necessary on the team right now, but expecting relievers to do anything close to that is a recipe for a whole lot of surgeries.

Doesn't every team have 5 relievers who can each throw 160 innings/season?

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Doesn't every team have 5 relievers who can each throw 160 innings/season?
The point isn't about being able to do that over a season.

The point is that if you can survive a couple of weeks that way, there's no point in having a dedicated guy who can only throw every 5th day (yet who doesn't start). Keep in mind that that inning total is the equivalent to having 4 starters throw 2 innings and 1 throw 3 through an entire turn through the rotation.

Having Berrios, Bassitt, Kikuchi throwing 6 per start, the BP would at most need 27 innings which is the equivalent to everyone throwing 3 innings every 5 days and 3 guys throwing 4 (which again ignores that Gausman and Rodriguez will in fact pitch innings).

In the scenario where the top 3 average 6 and the bottom two average 4, the 8 man bullpen would need to average 2.375 innings per 5 days per pitcher. This is literally where the Jays are today in their worst case scenario (with optionable arms to be able to rotate if necessary). This completely ignores that sooner or later, Gausman is going to find his groove and it'll likely be 4 guys averaging 6 innings and Yariel, who could be on pitch limits (also, the concept of innings limits is stupid and should not be mentioned by intelligent people, because a 3 pitch inning and a 30 pitch inning are not the same thing)

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Per Fangraphs Depth Charts Projected Standings, the Jays are currently projected to finish 6th overall, 4th in the AL, and 4th in the division.

Playoff Odds has the Jays 9th overall, 5th in the AL and 4th in the division (53.9% shot of making the playoffs).

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Per Fangraphs Depth Charts Projected Standings, the Jays are currently projected to finish 6th overall, 4th in the AL, and 4th in the division.

Playoff Odds has the Jays 9th overall, 5th in the AL and 4th in the division (53.9% shot of making the playoffs).

I don’t know, I am feeling good right now. Jays are trending up. 1) Romano and Swanson are back 2), Berrios and Kikuchi are pitching lights out, Bassit has been Bassit last 2 starts. Need Gausman to get going. 3) just took at least 2 of 3 from the “mighty” Yankees whom I find so overrated. I think Jays finish higher than 4th. And on top of that, Bo has not even been Bo yet and we are 10-8.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I don’t know, I am feeling good right now. Jays are trending up. 1) Romano and Swanson are back 2), Berrios and Kikuchi are pitching lights out, Bassit has been Bassit last 2 starts. Need Gausman to get going. 3) just took at least 2 of 3 from the “mighty” Yankees whom I find so overrated. I think Jays finish higher than 4th. And on top of that, Bo has not even been Bo yet and we are 10-8.
DC is based on the guys here (and their guys). It basically gives them Cole back the first day it could, but with all of their personnel. With a healthy lineup, it's always going to be slightly skewed in their favor because it doesn't anticipate injuries (even on an old and frail team).

The other one takes strength of schedule into account. Basically, if it says that the Jays are projected for 4th right now, that means that they've essentially "broke even" so far.

Keep in mind that the difference between 1st and 4th is very small with a very large potential error factor because this is all on a small sample.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad