Sportsnet's top 20 left wingers

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't understand why people think stats only have value if they agree with everything you already think. that's not remotely the case. Some people aren't open to the possibility of being wrong I suppose

Reactions: Duke749

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I don't understand why people think stats only have value if they agree with everything you already think. that's not remotely the case. Some people aren't open to the possibility of being wrong I suppose

But this ranking isn't based purely on statistics. Instead it's based on an arbitrary formula created by the author. It's useless.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Stopped giving any weight to berkshires lists after his 2016 defenseman list done after the subban/weber trade. subban was 3rd and weber was outside the top 20. He had him ranked 47th.

Reactions: dukeofjive

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Ovechkin being so low is only valid if there are three different criterions and he receives no points from one criterion.

This is like having a unisex beauty pageant with one category being the length of the male fallos.

Ofcourse some contestants will receive zero points from one category and be low in the ranking, although like Ovy, they will find it much easier to score than most of those who are even average at male fallos length.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
So you call the whole thing crap because you disagree with the ranking of one player? Wild.
I do disagree with Ovi being ninth, but that is not my point. Clearly he is 9 by the formula used to make the list.

I point out that just saying that something is stats based and therefore a fact, is a false statement. Then I went on to build a crappy stat showing that this is a crap list and I have statistics to back it up. Obviously, it was utterly nonsensical stats, but stats nontheless.

My point is that, stats can be anything between a good information and useless crap. I do actually like these particular lists because they clearly outline how they are built, by the way. I am not taking a shot at the list, I am taking a shot at people claiming stats are definitive proof of anything except the actual measurement they represent.

Reactions: CDN24

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
lmao an article with statistical analysis would be worthless if it didn't challenge some of your baseline assumptions. "yeah lemme get uhhhhh one article that doesn't tell me anything please"

Reactions: Aladyyn

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
How JVR managed a 0.56% difficulty rating I'll never know. He received top unit PP and soft minutes under Babcock. With above average QoT relative to his competition.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
This is purely statistical analysis. Hips and stats dont lie. Change my mind.
They had to massage the weighting of the "advanced" "stats" to hype the Leafs in the other lists and it caught up them here maybe. Really no other explanation for how these lists keep getting more embarrassing.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Amazing that with the amount of hockey most people on here watch, so many still don't understand that there's a lot more to the game than being really good at one-timing the puck from the left circle.

Reactions: Sensinitis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad