Sportsnet's top 20 left wingers

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
This is purely statistical analysis. Hips and stats dont lie. Change my mind.
Yes, a useless statistical analysis.

You can tweak a ranking formula to say anything, but it doesn't have any value if the rankings (for something like best player at a position) are clearly wrong.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

You can tweak a ranking formula to say anything, but it doesn't have any value if the rankings (for something like best player at a position) are clearly wrong.

Well then go ahead and make your own ranking. No one is begging you to read theirs.

I would rather have hockey content to talk about than to have nothing except the "Who looks better in a dress: Matthews or McDavid?" polls that otherwise seem to always be at the top of the forum.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Any ‘statistical analysis’ that has Ovechkin at 9 should probably go back to the drawing board and use a different statistical formula. Stats aren’t biased but they also can’t be taken as godoel and shouldn’t be assumed to yield the correct result.
Too many people put blind faith in something just because it’s based on stats. Any statistician will tell you that formulas should always be questioned and can often be improved on.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Well then go ahead and make your own ranking. No one is begging you to read theirs.

I would rather have hockey content to talk about than to have nothing except the "Who looks better in a dress: Matthews or McDavid?" polls that otherwise seem to always be at the top of the forum.
Try not to be so sensitive. This is a hockey discussion board and people are here to discuss things like this.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
I will have a vote: I vote that Ovechkin is far better LW than the ninth best. I will also vote that the statistical analysis behind this list is crap.

Next, I am drawing some conclusions. Every single one of the parameters in this statistical study seem to be 100% aligned. Clearly the statistics indicate that this is a crap list.

The number of people that get all religious when statistics are mentioned, is frighteningly high, by the way.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
It wasn't long ago, as in before he won the cup, that ovechkin was routinely bagged on for everything but his goal scoring. This statistical analysis backs that up even if the narrative of the player has changed.

Capitals fans would agree with this if they were being honest with themselves; most were not happy with him the last few seasons before they won.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
It's also nice to see some Anaheim players get some objective props since nobody in the country (probably justified) seems to pay attention.

Also makes the subjective lists all the more frustrating to read for fans of teams who aren't media darlings.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City

So stats are only useful when they confirm what we already believe, and they're useless when they show something different?

Instead of dismissing it as garbage because it doesn't give expected results, why not look into why? It's not some opaque mystery why Ovy is down in this ranking:
A) It takes into account the last 3 seasons; for Ovechkin, this includes 2 of his worst seasons
B) Even though the list is biased towards offence, it takes defence and transition into account and Ovechkin is below-average in both of these areas. You could argue stats have trouble evaluating defensive play, and that's true, but it's not like he ever had a reputation as a good defensive player to begin with.

Honestly, this list is far from perfect, and I'd put Ovy higher myself, but it's still more interesting than 99% of rankings out there (and more interesting than 99.9% of the content Sportsnet generally puts out). It had some actual work put into it and it's backed up by a consistent methodology. It's better than putting out another list that has players basically ranked by PPG.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I will have a vote: I vote that Ovechkin is far better LW than the ninth best. I will also vote that the statistical analysis behind this list is crap.

Next, I am drawing some conclusions. Every single one of the parameters in this statistical study seem to be 100% aligned. Clearly the statistics indicate that this is a crap list.

The number of people that get all religious when statistics are mentioned, is frighteningly high, by the way.
So you call the whole thing crap because you disagree with the ranking of one player? Wild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad