Sportsnet: Sportsnet or TSN? Who won the trade deadline battle?

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I'd rather wait 5 minutes to find out a trade on TSN than to sit through Sportsnet's coverage. TSN has become increasingly self-aware about the absurdity of the broadcast which makes it more fun to watch.

Leafsvideos

Oct 16, 2010
The selfie thing on TSN was hilarious. That guy playing the guitar and singing songs was just ****ing stupid tho. Especially being at work and trying to stream the thing and then having him pop up
Get that gaaaawbage outta here

Come on the Halak, didn't even have time to unpack song didnt get anything out of you? Thought that was hilarious.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
TSN is the best at Hockey rumours and trade deadline stuf. Darren Dreger and Bob McKenzie are unreal. Plus they get help from LeBrun of ESPN.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Watched the Sportsnet stream on my tablet, didnt bother with TSN this year. Its all the same **** I dont understand why everyone here gets so worked up about the whole SN vs TSN thing.

I think this is it.

Doesn't matter which one you turn to, they are going to say the same thing about each player that gets traded.

And to say that TSN dominates Sportsnet or visa versa is basically like fighting over which news station is better than another. The news is going to tell you that it's cold outside, the Canadian dollar isn't what it used to be and that the mayor did something illegal again. Ultimately, it comes down to the personality that you prefer.

I liked that Sportsnet copied Jimmy Kimmel and did the "Mean Tweets" thing, I thought that was a funny gig. And the artist on the TSN set was original. Other than that, you're basically going back to the apples to oranges argument.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I don't get either one of those channels, so I'll go with HFBoards + my Facebook newsfeed

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
I think this is it.

Doesn't matter which one you turn to, they are going to say the same thing about each player that gets traded.

And to say that TSN dominates Sportsnet or visa versa is basically like fighting over which news station is better than another. The news is going to tell you that it's cold outside, the Canadian dollar isn't what it used to be and that the mayor did something illegal again. Ultimately, it comes down to the personality that you prefer.

I liked that Sportsnet copied Jimmy Kimmel and did the "Mean Tweets" thing, I thought that was a funny gig. And the artist on the TSN set was original. Other than that, you're basically going back to the apples to oranges argument.

I agree I watch both and don't care, although that being said TSN has become more of a "lets entertain with stupid silliness crap" more every year. I like the plain and simple hockey talk and don't need the James Duthie wannabe a Jimmy Fallon crap.

Kyle Doobas*

I agree I watch both and don't care, although that being said TSN has become more of a "lets entertain with stupid silliness crap" more every year. I like the plain and simple hockey talk and don't need the James Duthie wannabe a Jimmy Fallon crap.
Same here. I'm not the biggest fan of most of the Sportsnet crew, but at least they knew their limitations and stuck to reporting and discussing the trades. Watching Duthie & co. trying to be funny was like watching Stephen Hawking trying to dance.

EDIT: mind you a couple of the TSN guys are the best in the business. I'd have watched their coverage if it wasn't bogged down by the other stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
I watched TSN, and then flipped over to CBC/CTV's news channels for info on the Ukraine whenever Dave Hodge and Friends would start rambling on about something inane.

The Reporters is honestly my least favourite TSN 'clique'.

hd1344

Nov 16, 2012
The Hammer
I usually end up switching between both, mainly because both networks have aspects that I like/dislike about them.

TSN's insiders are very good, I feel that having Dreger, McKenzie and LeBrun gives them a wide scope. However, most of their main panel and "reporters" I could do without. Duthie tries too hard sometimes, and having a panel composed of mainly ex-players is tough, because their responses for the most part are pre-cast, generally afraid to critisize ex-teammates or organizations, while spewing the usual clichés.

I like Sportsnet's approach of having ex-management types in their coverage, it gives the fans a more GM-centric view of things, which I prefer. I could do without the screaming, but on the other hand it is usually a good debate. I also like that there is basically no "reporter" panel, although I can live with Cox for the most part. One things that lacks is Insiders, which TSN has better/more quality, although SN is improving

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad