Sportsnet: NHL includes stiff luxury tax in latest proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYIsles1*

BLONG7 said:
So in your world, there should be a rich league and a poor league??? Rich teams spend because they can, and the small market teams can't so they will be a Tier 2 league, I wonder how much they would charge for tickets? I wonder how well the teams in the rich league would do amongst themselves? Bottom line is the big boys(Rag$ and Leaf$) need the bottom feeders like Nashville and the Oilers....It makes no sense to say that the teams that afford to spend, just go ahead and spend, ala the NY Yankees in MLB, and the NYR in the NHL...these types of teams and markets are a major part of the problem...
Rich corporate ownership, not rich teams making profits. Big difference. Why do you think there is so much resistance among owners with regard to profit sharing...

No profits.

The Ranger drew tv ratings equal to only 60,000 homes with an 80m dollar team in 2003-04. Are the Oilers doing this poorly on television or playing to the empty seats the Rangers do?

The Ranger problem is they play in an oversaturated sports market, no matter what they spend trying to copy the Yankees they cannot get any attention regardless of what happens on the ice. Unfortunatley we have too many folks who do not know or understand the New York hockey market or Ranger fans who live in 1994 when the Yankees and Mets were still low payroll teams struggling and baseball still had an
off-season in this region so the media had to fill the space with hockey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wetcoaster

Thunderstruck said:
Wetcoaster using Burke to prove a point. Will miracles never cease?
He was bound to eventually get something right - just on the law of averages :biglaugh:

NYIsles1*

vadardog said:
I bet 90% of edmontonians can name at least 10 players on the Oilers. You can't say the same about New Yorkers.
And this is where New York is an awful hockey market and why it losses money operating. People can already name Robinson Canoe but ask them to name five hockey players and it's not going to happen unless that person is a die-hard hockey fan in a market that only draws from one demographic of the population.

What's interesting about this is the Oilers come close to breaking even while the Rangers reportedly claim 40.9m in losses.

There is nothing big market about any of this. Which is why all team should play with a low cap.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
NYIsles1 said:
There is nothing big market about any of this. Which is why all team should play with a low cap.
why should they if they choose not to ? NYR made their bed, why should anyone care ?

if everyone can see that the EDM model is more productive than the NYR model, yet they choose the NYR model, so be it.

i am not prepared to lose another season of hockey simply to save NYR from themselves.

dr

NYIsles1*

DR said:
why should they if they choose not to ? NYR made their bed, why should anyone care ?
As I wrote the other day in response to you unfortunately when a few teams do set a player market like this it drives up the salary for everyone. That's why you have to care if a few teams set a market this high because it filters down to every player on every team when it's time to negotiate a new contract. That's why the avg NHL salary is 1.8 million today.

You cannot dismiss it as so be it, keep spending, who cares? It's that thinking that forced the owners to say enough and shut the sport down.

DR said:
i am not prepared to lose another season of hockey simply to save NYR from themselves.
It's not about just any one team, it's about the entire business.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
NYIsles1 said:
As I wrote the other day in response to you unfortunately when a few teams do set a player market like this it drives up the salary for everyone. That's why you have to care if a few teams set a market this high because it filters down to every player on every team when it's time to negotiate a new contract. That's why the avg NHL salary is 1.8 million today.

You cannot dismiss it as so be it, keep spending, who cares? It's that thinking that forced the owners to say enough and shut the sport down.

It's not about just any one team, it's about the entire business.
the players offered to reset the market place and put in provisions to help keep it down. if the owners cant control themselves, i really dont care if it costs them millions.

fact is, no one should feel sorry for the NYR nor support shutting down hockey while using NYR as a case study.

dr

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
BLONG7 said:
So in your world, there should be a rich league and a poor league??? Rich teams spend because they can, and the small market teams can't so they will be a Tier 2 league, I wonder how much they would charge for tickets? I wonder how well the teams in the rich league would do amongst themselves? Bottom line is the big boys(Rag$ and Leaf$) need the bottom feeders like Nashville and the Oilers....It makes no sense to say that the teams that afford to spend, just go ahead and spend, ala the NY Yankees in MLB, and the NYR in the NHL...these types of teams and markets are a major part of the problem...
No, in my world there would be almost 80% revenue sharing in the NHL...but unfortunetly the owners don't want a partnership with each other. The big markets DO need the small markets, so just as the NFL did when they realized this in the 60's, the big markets should share a ton of revenue.

The problem of competition on and off the ice is ONLY solved by revenue sharing...there is no other way to solve it. So for someone to come on here and argue that the league need a cap and cost certainty etc. in order to level the playing field, it doesn't make any sense.

However, if the big markets don't share revenue and as long as they still have it in their pocket, why should they be stopped from spending it? As a NYR fan, if my money isn't going to Nashville to help them become more competative, than why can't it be going back into my team to make my team more competative? Who exactly does it help to have Dolan making a huge profit off the Rangers under a cap? Doesn't help me or any of the other 29 teams in the league.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
vadardog said:
Try to look at the situation from the perspective of someone who has not been benefiting from the inequities in payroll. In Edmonton the team is barely scraping by. The owners bought the team not to make a profit, but because they were locals who felt the area deserved NHL hockey. I bet 90% of edmontonians can name at least 10 players on the Oilers. You can't say the same about New Yorkers. You can't have followed hockey closely and argue that over the 90's to now that the Oilers have not been ***** of their best players by rich teams. The oilers will not survive unless an agreement is reached that will allow them to ice a competitive team which means a competitive payroll. Now I'd agree with someone who said that if thats the case maybe Edmonton is not a NHL worthy city, except that Edmonton has more revenue than about 10 other teams. So are you advocating that 10 teams fold. I've never heard of a Union that fights to try and get a third of their members fired. I don't really care if the owners end up getting rich off hockey or if the players end up getting rich as long as the competition is equal (or at least close to equal). I'm not so naive that I believe all teams will end up equal, but if the NHL was a marathon some teams have been getting a ten mile head start. The players have admitted the system is out of wack, but they are still asking for a 5 mile head start. The owners are saying if there has to be a head start it can only be 1 or 2 miles otherwise what is the point of even racing.
Yea, that is the problem with the league right now, but the bigger problem is that the NHL hasn't tried to solve any of those problems yet you still support their solutions as if they would.

"The owners brought the team to make a profit", "The oilers will not survive unless an agreement is reached that will allow them to ice a competitive team which means a competitive payroll"...how does stopping NYR spending at $42.5M help either of these two? The Oilers will only be slightly more competative and will only have slightly more revenues from being competative. With revenue sharing, the Oilers will make a profit and/or ice a more competative team.

Every one of your problems is solved by pure revenue sharing, not by a cap or anything else.

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
nyr7andcounting said:
No, in my world there would be almost 80% revenue sharing in the NHL...but unfortunetly the owners don't want a partnership with each other. The big markets DO need the small markets, so just as the NFL did when they realized this in the 60's, the big markets should share a ton of revenue.

The problem of competition on and off the ice is ONLY solved by revenue sharing...there is no other way to solve it. So for someone to come on here and argue that the league need a cap and cost certainty etc. in order to level the playing field, it doesn't make any sense.

However, if the big markets don't share revenue and as long as they still have it in their pocket, why should they be stopped from spending it? As a NYR fan, if my money isn't going to Nashville to help them become more competative, than why can't it be going back into my team to make my team more competative? Who exactly does it help to have Dolan making a huge profit off the Rangers under a cap? Doesn't help me or any of the other 29 teams in the league.

if the nhl had the revenues for revenue sharing it'd be easy. but without a national tv deal, without significant sponsorship money, then it's useless to even try it IMO. right now the televised games are so isolated it's not worth the time trying to pool the money and spread the wealth. Why should $$ from the tv rights in atlanta be used to better the oilers of flames, a team they seldom play (just an example)... the nhl needs a good national tv revenue stream before revenue sharing even comes into play. i know that's not the only revenue that can be shared, but it's the easiest to keep track of. IMO if a team markets itself better and thus its revenue stream grows quicker than a team that hardly markets itself, then IMO the owner of the profitable team SHOULD get his just reward (being able to do what he wants w/ the extra money the team has made), if he chooses to put the money back into his team, great, all for the better of the team and game, if he chooses to pocket it, then good for him, he earned it by providing a good product.

Last edited:

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Zack Attack said:
42.5-45 million will act as a basement for teams, so the average teams payroll will go up, hence the reason a cap over 40 million won't work.

The average payroll was about $40M under the old CBA. You think that number will go UP under a $42.5M-$45M cap? That's ridiculous.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
garry1221 said:
if the nhl had the revenues for revenue sharing it'd be easy. but without a national tv deal, without significant sponsorship money, then it's useless to even try it IMO.

How much is shared means nothing it's the rate that is shared. What you said doesn't even make any sense.

If revenue sharing is at 60%, NYR shares 60% of revenues wether they are $1.00 or $100M. The absence of a tv deal and some other revenues just means that everyone in the sport makes less, it doesn't mean that you can't share revenues.

AXN

Feb 10, 2004
Pepper said:
Make it 25-40M with 100% luxury tax starting at $32.5M and we have a deal. Based on 2.1B revenues, changed accordingly.

I think its too low. I would make it 25 to 45 with 100% lux tax starting at 40 to 45.
That would take it to 50. You are basically taking the salaries down by about 5 years. Five years ago if you have told the owners that your salaries will remain the same until the revenue picked up then we would never be in this mess right now.They can still lose money but so can anybody and they did manage five years ago.

WC Handy*

DR said:
the players offered to reset the market place and put in provisions to help keep it down. if the owners cant control themselves, i really dont care if it costs them millions.

fact is, no one should feel sorry for the NYR nor support shutting down hockey while using NYR as a case study.

dr

How is it that you still haven't grasped the fact that the actions of the New York Rangers negatively effect every other team inthe league?

Brent Burns Beard