Sportsnet Hiring Rick Ball (PBP) and Kelly Hrudey (Colour) for Flames Broadcasts

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
It looks to be pretty much a done deal;

https://twitter.com/dowbboy
Rick Ball is the new Flames TV voice. Will work w/ Kelly Hrudey. Congrats, Baller.

This is unbelievable news. I'm simply stunned. We're getting two strong national broadcasters doing our regional games. And this is Sportsnet we're talking about. Also love that these two guys are really impartial, so the over-the-top enthusiasm of Kerr and Simmer will be gone.

Ball and Hrudey below calling what was arguably the high point of last season.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
0jE70sR.gif

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Rick Ball is awesome. Did Canucks radio games here during Sportsnet broadcast. Sucks that he's gone. But he deserves a good job. Congrats to the flames.

Glad Hrudey is off national. Massive Flames homer.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Rick Ball is awesome. Did Canucks radio games here during Sportsnet broadcast. Sucks that he's gone. But he deserves a good job. Congrats to the flames.

Glad Hrudey is off national. Massive Flames homer.

Doesn't surprise me really, I always thought he was a bit of a homer. At least he isn't AS boring as Simmer.

Aug 3, 2010
Best news for Flames fans regarding broadcasting save for Calgary brass announcing they've found the Fountain of Youth and were able to regenerate Peter Maher as well.

Looking forward?? to the SportsNet broadcasts this winter.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Absolutely fantastic news!!!
What a massive upgrade this new duo is over Kerr and Simmer. Rick Ball is a true pro!

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Massive, massive improvement over Kerr and Simmer.

Pretty much.
It's funny, because Kerr really played up the cheese-ball happy-go-lucky broadcaster on TV. On the radio, he's kind of a dick :laugh:

This will probably make watching more enjoyable.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
I do like the new team better but I think Kerr and Simmer got a bit of a bum wrap. I never thought they were that bad.

Simmer always sucked but I found Kerr more tolerable than Loubardias. Won't miss any of those guys however, Ball and Hrudey sound very good and I hope they stick for a long time.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
I do like the new team better but I think Kerr and Simmer got a bit of a bum wrap. I never thought they were that bad.

And again, Simmer deserved the bad wrap because the guy didn't know how to start a sentence without saying "And again." And again, Kerr is a guy for radio, so I am glad that he is going back to radio.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Kerr is awesome on the radio, I always thoroughly enjoy listening to him and Steinberg. So is Lou officially taking over for Maher doing PbP on the Fan?

fallsviewafro*

I wanted Mark Lee :(. Hrudey is great though, will miss him on whatever passes for HNIC next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad