Sports bars in trouble (covid fall out)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Tens of thousands of sports bars could be lost this year as fans remain home

Paywall. Thousands staying home to watch sports.

By one estimate, the nation had 95,000 total bars and sports bars and grills at the end of 2019, and that’s expected to drop to 66,000 by the end of 2020 as the pandemic fuels a wave of closures, per data from Chicago-based food service industry analysts and consultants Technomic Inc.

That number includes major chains such Buffalo Wild Wings and Hooters and mom-and-pop local joints, along with non-sports-oriented bars and grills.

Yep. Another area to watch as pandemic lingers.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Most bars will be struggling now. People drinking tend to lose inhibitions, and sometimes make poor choices concerning safety. Of course during a pandemic, even if a bar is open, in many locations the public will avoid such places.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Various states also have had limitations and restrictions on public gatherings, which have hindered bar operations. Although some places were able to take advantage of cocktail delivery (which I think should be a mainstay) for a brief period, the fact is a good portion of bars rely on pedestrian traffic and draft beer consumption to stay solvent. Even so, bars have a hard time in the best of times.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
So thankful to live in a state that isn't forcing everything to be shut down. My local sports bar is hurting but still going. Weekday traffic is low but Sunday's are still doing well. Less crowded than last year but not by much. The governor of my home state is going to cause more damage than COVID-19 will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad