sporting news / kournianos rank red wings prospects #10

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

"For Sporting News, several factors were taken into consideration when creating the lists below:
1. Point production
2. Age
3. NHL games played
4. NHL readiness and experience
5. Draft ranking
6. Graduations and trades"

"10. Detroit Red Wings

2018-19 rank: 10th
Key additions: Albert Johansson (LHD), Oliwer Kaski (RHD), Robert Mastrosimone (LW), Moritz Seider (RHD)
Graduated: Dennis Cholowski (LHD), Filip Hronek (RHD), Michael Rasmussen (C)

Traded/not signed: Cole Fraser (RHD), Zach Gallant (C), Brady Gilmour (C), Axel Holmstrom (C), Reilly Webb (RHD), Lane Zablocki (C)
Steve Yzerman's tenure as Detroit's general manager's got off to a questionable start when he bypassed conventional draft wisdom and took two-way defenseman Moritz Seider with the sixth overall pick. The move certainly will be monitored for several years, but what shouldn't be lost in the post-draft hysteria is that Yzerman had already inherited an excellent group of young talent and had the flexibility to roll the dice.
Goal-scoring winger Filip Zadina and center Joe Veleno - the last two first-round picks made by predecessor Ken Holland - are among the elite of the elite. Zadina is the odds-on favorite to beat out his peers for a roster spot and Veleno is the primary target to center Team Canada's top line at the under-20 world juniors. To no one's surprise, the majority of the organization's other notable neophytes are Swedes, with goalie Filip Larsson coming off another stellar campaign in which he posted a .932 save percentage and 1.95 goals-against average as a freshman for Denver. Detroit also owns a pair of confident three-zone puck movers in Gustav Lindstrom and Albert Johansson and won a key free-agent derby by luring former Western Michigan defenseman Oliwer Kaski away from Finland, where he was the top-scoring blueliner in the SM-Liiga. Left winger Robert Mastrosimone, a Boston University recruit who was of the more underrated players from this year's draft class, has a bit of Gustav Nyquist in him and should be considered having first-round value in a second-round pick."
PROSPECTPOS.2019-20 TEAM (Proj.)ACQUIRED
1. Filip ZadinaLWDetroit (NHL)1st/2018
2. Joe VelenoCGrand Rapids (AHL)1st/2018
3. Moritz SeiderRHDAdler Mannheim (DEL)1st/2019
4. Filip LarssonGGrand Rapids (AHL)6th/2016
5. Gustav LindstromRHDGrand Rapids (AHL)2nd/2017
6. Jared McIsaacLHDHalifax (QMJHL)2nd/2018
7. Otto KivenmakiCAssat (SM-Liiga)7th/2018
8. Robert MastrosimoneLWBoston Univ. (HE)2nd/2019
9. Albin GreweLWDjugardens (SHL)3rd/2019
10. Albert JohanssonLHDFarjestad (SHL)2nd/2019
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: decaguard

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What I leaned from those re-building on the fly years is you should not place teams with “good depth” in their system above teams with blue chip prospects.

I believe in his player rankings of all drafted prospects, Steve has Zadina ranked top 5. If he believes that, no way we should be ranked 10th. Just doesn’t make sense.

Same reason it’s ridiculous to have NJ at #7 behind teams like Carolina. I wouldn’t trade Jack Hughes for the entire top 5 listed for Carolina.

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
^ ...Compared to our HFboards rankings...

1. Filip Zadina - 74.1%
2. Moritz Seider - 64.1%
3. Joe Veleno - 93.1%
4. Jared McIsaac - 62.4%
5. Taro Hirose - 39.6%
6. Jonatan Berggren - 50.5%
7. Filip Larsson - 66%
8. Evgeny Svechnikov - 70.8%
9. Gustav Lindstrom - 39.8%
10. Albert Johansson - 25.3%
11. Robert Mastrosimone - 30.7%
12. Antti Tuomisto - 28.2%
13. Oliwer Kaski - 33.7%
14. Albin Grewe - 39.5% (51.8%)
15. Otto Kivenmaki - 39.5% (48.2%)
16. Alec Regula - 43.5%

Reactions: decaguard

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
we need another centerman big time . makes its real disappointing to now see lafrainiere being called a winger . one thought ive had is wondering what if nick backstrom goes ufa next summer as a i think 31 year old . a smart unphysical finess player meaning that he might have lots of good years in him still . playoff experienced and a swede . 2nd line center , larkin 1st , veleno 3rd . then if by another miracle josi goes onto market and we sign both these older but greatly talented / smart / finess guys (ie could have lots of years left because of style of play) to say 5 year big coin contracts , going all in on the chance that with all our young guys coming up we'd get right to very competetive next season then become challengers for 4 years and beyond strarting 2021/22 . yes i realize its doubtful either let alone both go ufa but its an angle that must be looked at by a gm because you never know . if these two signings happened , along with the maturation of the core group now along with zadina - veleno - mcissac - svetch - seider on their heels we could be right there by 2022 finals .

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Weird rankings.
Way too high on Lindstrom, whom I would never call a three-zone puck mover.
I also don't think Zadina has demonstrated anything indicating he's ready to beat out his peers for an NHL job.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pronman rank coming soon. Publishing 1-2 per day and Wings weren't on the bottom17.

Top14 still to come.

Kourniaos and Pronman have different kind of metrics for graduates. Pronman graduates kids easier.

Like, Dillon Dube and Juuso Välimäki were graduates on Pronman's list and that's why Calgary was the dead last. Kourniaos had them as non-graduates, and Flames were 23rd on his list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zetterbeer

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Pronman's ranking is out today, and Detroit is 13th.

There is no perfect criteria when establishing a prospect list, and I know he is trying to develop a consistent grading for all teams. The reality is Cholowski and Rasmussen are still prospects with uncertain futures. I expect both to be in GR to start the season, barring unforeseen injuries.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
if we'd drafted podko or cozens instead of cider , and necas instead of razz we'd be ranked say top 3 . but nobody knows how all these guys turn out . and guys like cider and razz do extremely important stuff that doesnt show in stats so are ranked lower . make a panel of ex coaches and players ranking teams prospects is what ide like seeing

Reactions: SirloinUB

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

There is no perfect criteria when establishing a prospect list, and I know he is trying to develop a consistent grading for all teams. The reality is Cholowski and Rasmussen are still prospects with uncertain futures. I expect both to be in GR to start the season, barring unforeseen injuries.

He also knocked Zadina down a peg (it reads like he is afraid of Zadina becoming a perimeter player), and is drastically lower on Svechnikov and Hirose than many of us would have thought due to different types of uncertainty. He wants to see if Svechnikov can return from injury and begin making an impact, and he wants to see Hirose sustain his performance at the end of the year before believing that his hockey sense can outplay his physical limitations (size and skating).

I know in a previous Q&A, Pronman has mentioned that Seider is one player from the draft he has changed his opinion on for the better, and also says that Seider is the player he is most looking forward to watching in the coming months.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Rates McIsaac, Larsson and Lindstrom much lower than I would.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad