Sport Vaasa to replace Jokerit

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
:handclap:

My second favourite team in Finland!

Congrats Sport, the fans and city of Vaasa!

I'm pretty sure Matti "The Bomber" Lamberg will wear Sport jersey next year as it was Tomek who scouted him to Jokerit.

Edit. and the crying in Jatkoaika never fails...

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
A bit off-topic, but that press conference was a total joke orchestrated by Kimmo Rannisto.

The gap between SM-liiga and Mestis grew during the last time the league was closed (2000-2008) so by closing the league now they're going to close that gap.

And nobody really cared about the qualifiers anyway.

Makes sense.

Last edited:

Turkued

Feb 28, 2014
Illegitimate

Accepting the second place team whilst bypassing the champions stinks. Sport is not in the League today because they simply have not been good enough to claim a spot in the past. No difference this year. It's a shame the superior team in the larger city with a more up to date arena is being neglected in favour of perennial also rans. I presume Tepsi must be happy.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
I don't see how Turku could have 2 teams in Liiga. How much filled is the TuTo arena btw?

When decisions like these are not made by what happens on the ice, I can feel the pain and understand it but if you want to be a Liiga team, the financial situation is more important.

Of all these Mestis teams wanting the spot, I think Sport is only one that can survive.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Accepting the second place team whilst bypassing the champions stinks. Sport is not in the League today because they simply have not been good enough to claim a spot in the past. No difference this year. It's a shame the superior team in the larger city with a more up to date arena is being neglected in favour of perennial also rans. I presume Tepsi must be happy.
You make it sound like Sport is some newcomer from Suomi-sarja that's made a once in a million years run to claim 2nd spot and will fold midway through the first Liiga season. Last time I checked, Sport has won the Mestis 3 times in the past 5 years, where the other 3 candidates combined have managed to win it once. Just sayin'.

Btw, you actually have to beat everyone in the playoffs to be considered as a champion, at this point TuTo has won about the same amount as the rest of the teams that make the playoffs. Just go ask KooKoo fans about that.

Turkued

Feb 28, 2014
I don't see how Turku could have 2 teams in Liiga. How much filled is the TuTo arena btw?

When decisions like these are not made by what happens on the ice, I can feel the pain and understand it but if you want to be a Liiga team, the financial situation is more important.

Of all these Mestis teams wanting the spot, I think Sport is only one that can survive.

Tuto is stronger financially than Sport. No floats or loans required. The current ownership has extensive resources ( think hamburgers, in part ) and can draw on sponsorship of a major city, not a provincial town. The big loser would be TPS whose mismanagement has destroyed the sport in Turku. BTW in the mid '90's both Tuto and TPS were both in the League and local derbies filled the Typhoon.

Sport is a lot like Karpat in recent history. Oulu wanted the League, had the resources, but just could not win the playoffs. For several years they tried until they finally did it. Their organisation became stronger because of it. For now it will be fun to humiliate the League by defeating Sport in the playoffs. For anyone paying attention there is now substantial separation between the two teams. Superior coaching, a superior organisation.

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
So I heard Liiga is being a closed league for next season. What a shame.

Please excuse my ignorance as I'm not ultra knowledgeable on Finnish hockey. So is it because one team is already moving up (Vassa) to replace Jokerit that SM ligga is closing itself off to a potential winner of the Mestis? In a normal year would the winner of the Mestis play in a series with the bottom team or two teams from the SM ligga? It just seems as though no team ever comes up from the Mestis. Is the divide so wide between the worst team in the SM ligga and the best team in the mestis that the Ligga team always dominates the best team of the Mestis in a promotion/qualification series? Thanks for responding....

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Is the divide so wide between the worst team in the SM ligga and the best team in the mestis that the Ligga team always dominates the best team of the Mestis in a promotion/qualification series? Thanks for responding....
Closing the league in early 00's have made the gap bigger.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Please excuse my ignorance as I'm not ultra knowledgeable on Finnish hockey. So is it because one team is already moving up (Vassa) to replace Jokerit that SM ligga is closing itself off to a potential winner of the Mestis? In a normal year would the winner of the Mestis play in a series with the bottom team or two teams from the SM ligga? It just seems as though no team ever comes up from the Mestis. Is the divide so wide between the worst team in the SM ligga and the best team in the mestis that the Ligga team always dominates the best team of the Mestis in a promotion/qualification series? Thanks for responding....

From what I've heard, teams can apply to join Liiga in the future. As I've understood it, the only way to get relegated is to have financial troubles (?), and to get promoted, you need to be strong financially. Awful, I suffer! The worst part is that the Swedish Hockey League wants to follow this aswell, just because Hockeyallsvenskan (2nd division) has become a strong market, and actually competes with SHL!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
From what I've heard, teams can apply to join Liiga in the future. As I've understood it, the only way to get relegated is to have financial troubles (?), and to get promoted, you need to be strong financially. Awful, I suffer! The worst part is that the Swedish Hockey League wants to follow this aswell, just because Hockeyallsvenskan (2nd division) has become a strong market, and actually competes with SHL!

The problem with Mestis is that Sport really are the only team that have the financial backing to play in Lüga. Only a few other clubs meets the arena requirement but are in such a poor financial shape that they couldn't survive long.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
The problem with Mestis is that Sport really are the only team that have the financial backing to play in Lüga. Only a few other clubs meets the arena requirement but are in such a poor financial shape that they couldn't survive long.

That's too bad. The result of having a closed league!

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland

This. Sport has had Mestis's largest budget for the last 10 years running, not spending more or raising more from sponsors because they've been stuck in Mestis limbo. No point in overspending to get a loss and try to beat the Lüga team (probably losing in the process) and no sponsor sees the need to pay more for a hardly followed league.

While TuTo have got their act together the last few years, Mr Hamburgers is burning his own money and Sport has Mr Pizza on the backburner. So money raising potential, for Sport, is much larger than the other Mestis teams.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
This. Sport has had Mestis's largest budget for the last 10 years running, not spending more or raising more from sponsors because they've been stuck in Mestis limbo. No point in overspending to get a loss and try to beat the Lüga team (probably losing in the process) and no sponsor sees the need to pay more for a hardly followed league.

While TuTo have got their act together the last few years, Mr Hamburgers is burning his own money and Sport has Mr Pizza on the backburner. So money raising potential, for Sport, is much larger than the other Mestis teams.

In theory, KooKoo from Kouvola, JokiPojat from Joensuu and Jukurit from Mikkeli have decent sized arenas (Kouvola being the biggest) but there's no huge hockey interest nor financial backing in those cities/areas. If fans in Kouvola packed their arena as eagerly as those in Vaasa, do, they would be in the talks. Though they have been lacking with the on-ice product more than others.

The situation with Allsvenskan isn't even remotely comparable to Finland's, SHL could probably have 14-16 teams without the the product suffering too much in either league. That is simply not the case in Finland.

Last edited:

Turkued

Feb 28, 2014
Sport

Well, mighty Sport gets knocked out in the quarterfinals. Enjoy the Liiga.

Tuto has the financial backing, the management and the arena to compete in the Liiga immediately. Tepsi is doing all they can to prevent this from happening. It's a shame because the Tepsi-Tuto games of the mid 90's were some of the most riveting regular season hockey games I've ever seen. Of course, with the worst management in Finnish hockey I can see why Tepsi doesn't want the competition.

IMHO the Liiga's direction is all wrong. Instead of increasing league size they should be decreasing it. An open system, ten teams at each level, would improve the quality of the game.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
They're not 5th best. 2nd best in regular season, lost fight in playoffs. It happens to everyone from time to time, does not mean they are the 5th best team.
If Kärpät lose in round 1 does that mean that they are 5th in Lüga despite setting a new points record? Of course not

As for TuTo's finances - the Lüga investigation found them wanting. You can look good on paper but not in reality. Sport has been knocking on the door for 5 years now and have been able to line up potential sponsors for 5 years. That's a big difference to getting your act together only this year
KooKoo was supposedly the closest competition, TuTo and Jukurit found wanting. There was some talk about it in Jatkoaika iirc

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
They're not 5th best. 2nd best in regular season, lost fight in playoffs. It happens to everyone from time to time, does not mean they are the 5th best team.
If Kärpät lose in round 1 does that mean that they are 5th in Lüga despite setting a new points record? Of course not

If the team ahead of them makes it past the quarterfinal, then they are the 5th best team. That's how it goes. After you're eliminated, you're compared to the regular season totals of the other eliminated teams. That's how it's always been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad