Speculation: Spitballing destinations/returns for Niskanen

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Don't know if someone mentioned this but yesterday Dreger said on NHL Network that the Oilers may be looking to acquire as many as 3 or 4 D, not just 1. If that's true then they're going to trade with multiple teams and we have to be on their short-list. It makes a move for Niskanen a lot more likely IMO because he will be just another cog in a rebuilt D as opposed to someone coming in there to plug a hole as just 1 guy.

Now, whatever you do, don't knee-jerk a "Niskanen + a whole bunch more for Yakupov", because it's still a dumb idea.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Don't know if someone mentioned this but yesterday Dreger said on NHL Network that the Oilers may be looking to acquire as many as 3 or 4 D, not just 1. If that's true then they're going to trade with multiple teams and we have to be on their short-list. It makes a move for Niskanen a lot more likely IMO because he will be just another cog in a rebuilt D as opposed to someone coming in there to plug a hole as just 1 guy.

Now, whatever you do, don't knee-jerk a "Niskanen + a whole bunch more for Yakupov", because it's still a dumb idea.

The problem is that Nisky is a UFA at the end of the year. Barring a miracle, the Oilers aren't making the playoffs. I just don't see them giving up assets for a guy that will likely walk in the off season.

Houston Penguin

Texas Pen
Mar 17, 2007
LA & GA to TX
Bortuzzo needs to be an everyday player for us. We need more guys like him come postseason. And Maatta is a part of the longterm plans. Pushing him out of the lineup for Nisky when we're healthy wouldn't be very wise.

Nisky has been a better D-man this season. But he's worth more to us as a trade pawn for forward help than blocking Maatta/Bort's development as a #4/5 here. We need to trust youth and pedigree if we want to move on from vets like Orpik this summer.

Agreed, but we shouldn't be giving Niskanen away like some here would want to. Hell, Bortuzzo could still be there for us in the playoffs when rosters expand so Niskanen still being here isn't hurting him.

If we are going to move him, it needs to be for an equal asset to help the top nine that everyone thinks is in shambles, not freakin' picks or prospects as some have mentioned.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Agreed, but we shouldn't be giving Niskanen away like some here would want to. Hell, Bortuzzo could still be there for us in the playoffs when rosters expand so Niskanen still being here isn't hurting him.

If we are going to move him, it needs to be for an equal asset to help the top nine that everyone thinks is in shambles, not freakin' picks or prospects as some have mentioned.

And if Vokoun is able to return sometime in the second half of the season? Then they have to get rid of Niskanen.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
The problem is that Nisky is a UFA at the end of the year. Barring a miracle, the Oilers aren't making the playoffs. I just don't see them giving up assets for a guy that will likely walk in the off season.

I wonder if they would want Orpik

I think they'd consider trading for either one, and signing either one before summer. They might be willing to pay either of them more than what they're worth, just to stabilize their D a little. [Orpik has a NTC though, so he could pick 8 teams he wouldn't go to. I'm about 98% sure EDM would be on his no-trade list.]

Either way I don't think people appreciated how awful their defense is. It's almost firesale bad, to use a Penguins metaphor. Smid is solid, and Schultz might be that offensive stud one day... but he's not there right now. The rest is basically filler.

[I don't think EDM ownership is prepared for another year of tanking for a top pick. They want to start seeing some wins, now. To do that they need better D. And eventually a new G. But just by improving their D, they could win a fair number of games just by playing pond hockey (if all their big F are healthy).]

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I think they'd consider trading for either one, and signing either one before summer. I don't think people appreciated how awful their defense really is. It's almost firesale bad, to use a Penguins metaphor. Smid is solid, and Schultz might be that offensive stud one day... but he's not there right now. The rest is basically filler.

They actually have a need for both. Niskanen is the well-rounded player who can play in his own zone and make a nice pass and Orpik is the physical veteran leader.

How good I believe either of them are those skills is... for me to know, but both players would be useful upgrades for the Oilers.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Ideally you find a forward who can upgrade the top 9 for Nisky, but I'd take futures and cap space if it came down to it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

The problem is that this team will likely play Niskanen over Bortuzzo in the playoffs. THAT is the concern. Now you can disagree that they would but that's what we are concerned about.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
They actually have a need for both. Niskanen is the well-rounded player who can play in his own zone and make a nice pass and Orpik is the physical veteran leader.

How good I believe either of them are those skills is... for me to know, but both players would be useful upgrades for the Oilers.

For sure they would be (virtually everyone on our D roster -- now that Engo is off it) would be a useful upgrade to them. Literally. But as I added (edited) to my post, Orpik's NTC almost guarantees he wouldn't be available to trade to that particular team. He's likely say no to:

EDM
CGY
WPG
FLA
TB
PHX
NSH

Anyone else might be fair game.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
For sure they would be (virtually everyone on our D roster -- now that Engo is off it) would be a useful upgrade to them. Literally. But as I added (edited) to my post, Orpik's NTC almost guarantees he wouldn't be available to trade to that particular team. He's likely say no to:

EDM
CGY
WPG
FLA
TB
PHX
NSH

so what you're saying is:

roofies + Orpik (get him to say yes) + Niskanen + a conditional 5th for Yakupov, who would replace Adams on our 4th line?

DONE!!!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Orpik is about as likely to be traded as Neal is to play ice-whiffleball, again.

But I agree that both he and Niskanen would be nice pieces for the Oilers. And fairly logical trades for the Penguins, should they value what is coming back more than their playoff contributions. Which can certainly be argued either way... at least so far as Orpik is concerned.

I could see Shero finding a way to cling desperately to Niskanen somehow, though... once the team gets healthy. How, I'm not sure (owing to their cap situation). It just seems like something he'd do.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
so what you're saying is:

roofies + Orpik (get him to say yes) + Niskanen + a conditional 5th for Yakupov, who would replace Adams on our 4th line?

DONE!!!

Attention Yakupov, Attention Yakupov... report to the 4th line immediately.

Don't laugh. That's where he'd end up and he'd end up there in less than 3 weeks time IMO. I would honestly rather trade for EDM's 1st pick this year (even if it's pick 5-10) than trade for Yakupov. He will flop here. Badly. Not mature enough, not well-rounded enough as a player. First cold streak he hits, he won't contribute anywhere else and he'll be demoted. Guaranteed (right or wrong). He is as opposite a Bylsma type player as there is in the NHL.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

EDM
CGY
WPG
FLA
TB
PHX
NSH

There are much worse teams than Phoenix and Tampa Bay that would probably be on his list. Though Phoenix probably wouldn't want him anyways. Rumor is they've been looking for a top 6 foward.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Attention Yakupov, Attention Yakupov... report to the 4th line immediately. Don't laugh. That's where he'd end up and he'd end up there in less than 3 weeks time IMO. I would honestly rather trade for EDM's 1st pick this year (even if it's pick 5-10) than trade for Yakupov. He will flop here. Badly. Not mature enough, not well-rounded enough as a player. First cold streak he hits, he won't contribute anywhere else and he'll be demoted. Guaranteed (right or wrong).

That or he will change and become the winger he was supposed to be here along side Malkin. But i can't see a trade helping the guy. Would be cool if it did and he became a dynamic 40 goal guy here.:laugh:

Yakupov 40G
Neal 40G
Malkin 50G

:sarcasm:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Attention Yakupov, Attention Yakupov... report to the 4th line immediately. Don't laugh. That's where he'd end up and he'd end up there in less than 3 weeks time IMO. I would honestly rather trade for EDM's 1st pick this year (even if it's pick 5-10) than trade for Yakupov. He will flop here. Badly.

4 weeks to being scratched or not leaving the bench, then... or Bylsma tries to recreate the magic or IMN.

I don't really want Yakupov for a couple of reasons, but any player that's been developed by Edmonton is going to need to be fixed once acquired. That and the cap makes the pick more appealing.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I wouldn't say Edmonton's D is "firesale" bad but they need 2 more proven NHL dmen, preferably top 4. Right now I think they have 4 guys to work with in Smid, J Schultz, Ference, and Petry. N Schultz should be a 7th dman and Belov looks about the same. I think Niskanen would suit them very well. You could go:

Smid-Niskanen
Ference-J Schultz
Petry-Belov

That at least gives them 3 dmen that can be top 4 quality today. So I guess it would come down to how much would they give up in a trade for Niskanen knowing their is a chance he could walk? I guess it depends on what Nisky wants. If top 4 playing time is a top priority he would likely sign. Okay, I am on board. Move him Shero.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
There are much worse teams than Phoenix and Tampa Bay that would probably be on his list. Though Phoenix probably wouldn't want him anyways. Rumor is they've been looking for a top 6 foward.

Orpik does not want to finish his career in AZ. TB would be OK but I think with the Horseless Hedman and Gudas taking on bigger roles down there, there's really not much room for an older, hard-nosed D in the top 4. I suppose he could look at it like "I don't care where I go because I'm not signing until summer", in which case TB would be a better option than PHX or FLA by a long shot.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
What would we even want from Edmonton in a Niskanen swap? I don't think this happening, just spitballing here.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Orpik does not want to finish his career in AZ. TB would be OK but I think with the Horseless Hedman and Gudas taking on bigger roles down there, there's really not much room for an older, hard-nosed D in the top 4. I suppose he could look at it like "I don't care where I go because I'm not signing until summer", in which case TB would be a better option than PHX or FLA by a long shot.

Well Phoenix and Florida are on the opposite side of the standings right now, so that's not a very good comparison. I doubt Orpik would want to finish his career in places like Columbus or Calgary either.

But it's probably a moot point because Orpik isn't being traded at the deadline.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The Oilers are really a bad trade partner for us. The only thing they could give us, would be something like a high 2nd rounder. I don't know much about the Oilers forwards prospects though.

That's what I was thinking as well. I mean I'm fine with a pick for Niskanen if that's all we can do. I would just prefer to find a relatively young, big and gritty 3rd liner somewhere. Of course those guys don't really grow on trees, unless you're the Kings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad