Speculation: Spitballing destinations/returns for Niskanen

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
4 weeks to being scratched or not leaving the bench, then... or Bylsma tries to recreate the magic or IMN.

I don't really want Yakupov for a couple of reasons, but any player that's been developed by Edmonton is going to need to be fixed once acquired. That and the cap makes the pick more appealing.

"Hey, Nail, let me tell you the story of James Neal. When he came here he said, 'coach, I'm a LWer' and I said to him, "do you want to play with Crosby and Malkin? Well then, son, you're a RWer now.

And so I say to you, Nail..."

"Coach, I'll play either wing to be with Crosby or Malkin!"

<snickers>

"Nail... if you want to play with Adams and Glass, you'll learn how to play center."

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
"Hey, Nail, let me tell you the story of James Neal. When he came here he said, 'coach, I'm a LWer' and I said to him, "do you want to play with Crosby and Malkin? Well then, son, you're a RWer now.

And so I say to you, Nail..."

"Coach, I'll play either wing to be with Crosby or Malkin!"

<snickers>

"Nail... if you want to play with Adams and Glass, you'll learn how to play center."

You earn the honour to play with Gladams.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Bennett-Sutter-Megna
Glass-Vitale-Adams
Engelland

Scuderi-Letang
Martin-Orpik
Yakupov-Maatta
Bortuzzo

It's weird how injuries have made our potential healthy top 9 look better, even the 4th line can be remade.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
You earn the honour to play with Gladams.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Bennett-Sutter-Megna
Glass-Vitale-Adams
Engelland

Scuderi-Letang
Martin-Orpik
Yakupov-Maatta
Bortuzzo

It's weird how injuries have made our potential healthy top 9 look better, even the 4th line can be remade.

This is why it's good to give young players a chance. You shouldn't re-sign Craig Adams and then hope someone gets hurt. Just give them a shot.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I doubt we trade in our division, but Im starting to warm up to the idea of adding Chimera. He's having a very good year and will be motivated to keep it going as a pending UFA. He's a great skater and big body.

Only makes 1.75.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I doubt we trade in our division, but Im starting to warm up to the idea of adding Chimera. He's having a very good year and will be motivated to keep it going as a pending UFA. He's a great skater and big body.

Only makes 1.75.

Yup I would love to have Chimera on this team.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
SHOW

ME

THE

MONEY

show-me-the-money-o.gif

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
We needed to move Nisky to even get under the cap before the season. So no. Not without moving another significant contract.

And if Vokoun is able to return sometime in the second half of the season? Then they have to get rid of Niskanen.

Incorrect. Before the season started, Botteril (or one of the guys from the Pens' management) stated that it was an incorrect assumption by outsiders to think that the Pens had to trade Niskanen to become cap compliant. There are obviously other factors, credits/loopholes/etc. that we're just not aware of, and it's not just as simple as looking at the capgeek calculator.

Vokoun and Letang going out is what has allowed both Maatta (who ended up filling Despres' slot), and D'Aggostini being injured allowed the signing of Kobasew. Voky has been out for a while, and with the injuries to Scuderi, Letang, Bennett, Neal, D'Aggostini, we will have accrued a certain amount of funds that should allow us some extra cap flexibility. I think the bigger, more practical and immediate issue will be the roster size, and we may have to cut a guy like a D'Aggostini or Kobasew lose just to become roster compliant. Cap space isn't an issue right now, and if there are any trades made this season, it will be a hockey deal, not a cap deal.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Incorrect. Before the season started, Botteril (or one of the guys from the Pens' management) stated that it was an incorrect assumption by outsiders to think that the Pens had to trade Niskanen to become cap compliant. There are obviously other factors, credits/loopholes/etc. that we're just not aware of, and it's not just as simple as looking at the capgeek calculator.

Vokoun and Letang going out is what has allowed both Maatta (who ended up filling Despres' slot), and D'Aggostini being injured allowed the signing of Kobasew. Voky has been out for a while, and with the injuries to Scuderi, Letang, Bennett, Neal, D'Aggostini, we will have accrued a certain amount of funds that should allow us some extra cap flexibility. I think the bigger, more practical and immediate issue will be the roster size, and we may have to cut a guy like a D'Aggostini or Kobasew lose just to become roster compliant. Cap space isn't an issue right now, and if there are any trades made this season, it will be a hockey deal, not a cap deal.

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-does-long-term-injured-reserve-LTIR-work

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Out of curiousity, do people want Jason Chimera because of what type of player he is, his talent level, how he fits with this team...or do they want him because they know he's the 'type' of player Bylsma would actually use properly? Yes that's an assumption on my part.

Similarly, Yakupov is a definite no because a) he's not good/overrated or b) he'd be ruined here because of Bylsma?

Have we become "that team"? The system makes it hard to acquire players from the outside because only specific types thrive here. I suppose this is what the regime meant by 'becoming more like Detroit'.

Of course, there is a solution to this...a new regime.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

LTIR doesn't work that way. You don't "accrue" cap space. You are allowed to exceed the cap by Vokoun's hit while he is out. What you don't use of this extra space, you lose so to speak. So yeah as soon as Vokoun is back we have to be cap compliant. That means moving someone like Niskanen.

Also, Botterill was just making **** up so they didn't have to give their hand. It was an incorrect assumption to say we had to trade Niskanen. We didn't have to trade him, we just needed to shave 1.3 mil in cap hits. There were a number of ways to do that but Niskanen was the most obvious one.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Out of curiousity, do people want Jason Chimera because of what type of player he is, his talent level, how he fits with this team...or do they want him because they know he's the 'type' of player Bylsma would actually use properly? Yes that's an assumption on my part.

Similarly, Yakupov is a definite no because a) he's not good/overrated or b) he'd be ruined here because of Bylsma?

Have we become "that team"? The system makes it hard to acquire players from the outside because only specific types thrive here. I suppose this is what the regime meant by 'becoming more like Detroit'.

Of course, there is a solution to this...a new regime.

For me it's a bit of both. I want Chimera because of his size, speed, and physicality. He would be a great 3rd liner here. He's obviously not a top 6 solution but I don't think we need that. I don't think we are getting Chimera but say we did. Here's how things look:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis (yeah this is a lock)
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Chimera-Sutter-Bennett
Glass-Vitale-Adams

That 3rd line now has size, speed, skill, defensive acumen, physicality. It has everything. Then stick Chimera in front of the net on the 2nd PP. If Bylsma wasn't an idiot, it looks even better.

As far as Yak, I would love him but lets not pretend he's a guarantee. Talent alone only gets you so far. He needs to commit to playing the right way if he wants to be a star. That said, I think he could be awesome with either Sid or Geno.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
For me it's a bit of both. I want Chimera because of his size, speed, and physicality. He would be a great 3rd liner here. He's obviously not a top 6 solution but I don't think we need that. I don't think we are getting Chimera but say we did. Here's how things look:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis (yeah this is a lock)
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Chimera-Sutter-Bennett
Glass-Vitale-Adams

That 3rd line now has size, speed, skill, defensive acumen, physicality. It has everything. Then stick Chimera in front of the net on the 2nd PP. If Bylsma wasn't an idiot, it looks even better.

As far as Yak, I would love him but lets not pretend he's a guarantee. Talent alone only gets you so far. He needs to commit to playing the right way if he wants to be a star. That said, I think he could be awesome with either Sid or Geno.

Yeah, but two things here: do we really need more third liners? Secondly, Sid COULD be great for a guy like Yak but not if he prefers to play with Kunitz and Dupuis still. :shakehead

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah, but two things here: do we really need more third liners? Secondly, Sid COULD be great for a guy like Yak but not if he prefers to play with Kunitz and Dupuis still. :shakehead

We may not need more 3rd liners, but we need size and physicality. Our 3rd liners are run of the mill, no one really wanted types. I'm speaking of Kobasew and D'Agostini. Chimera is 6'3 and can skate. We marvel at Boston for the Lucic's and LA for Clifford, King, Nolan and their other million big guys. We don't have enough of that. Chimera is the prototype of the player we need.

And yeah I really hope it isn't Sid calling the shots on the K-C-D line.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
We may not need more 3rd liners, but we need size and physicality. Our 3rd liners are run of the mill, no one really wanted types. I'm speaking of Kobasew and D'Agostini. Chimera is 6'3 and can skate. We marvel at Boston for the Lucic's and LA for Clifford, King, Nolan and their other million big guys. We don't have enough of that. Chimera is the prototype of the player we need.

And yeah I really hope it isn't Sid calling the shots on the K-C-D line.

I agree wholeheartedly about needing more size. Chimera's a UFA in July, right? That's our only chance of landing him.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Sounds like Engelland is the one being shopped on the blueline at the moment. From a reliable source in Friedman.

I'm curious to see if anyone takes a chance on Pittsburgh's Deryk Engelland, whose cap hit is $566,667. The 31-year-old defenceman is caught in a numbers crunch behind younger players. The Penguins have worked to expand his game, using him at forward and taking a regular penalty-kill shift. It depends on what they're asking, but could he be a useful pickup?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...malholtra-makes-triumphant-return-to-nhl.html

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Not that I have a problem doing it, but trading Engelland doesn't really fix the cap problem.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm starting to get worried about Shero's plans on defense.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I'm starting to get worried about Shero's plans on defense.

Seriously. Now that Engelland has cemented true worth to the team, they're shopping HIM?

Let's deal our dirt-cheap, depth D-man/depth fourth liner, part-time enforcer/mr. do it all instead of the more expensive, far more expendable right D-man Niskanen. Makes sense to me.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That's just pure speculation on Friedman's part. You have to read the thought above that to connect the dots. He is saying that since so many teams are close to the cap, trading has to be a cap hit for cap hit trade. However because Engelland's cap hit is so low and he's playing forward right now, he may be a valuable commodity to some teams.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I wish Scotty Upshall didn't make so much money because I think he's a lot of what we need. I would mind Shero contacting him in free agency next year. He can't really ask for that much. He hasn't been great over the last couple years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad