GDT: Spidey Says "This Town is a Make You Town" Devils @ Golden Knights, 10 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Good call in Zelepukin.

I took a shot in the dark and said Vilgrain. Other two are definitely Todd and Semak.

Zelepukin isn’t so obscure, as he was on the 95 cup team and was around longer than the other guys
Amongst my favorite players for awhile.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I’d like to see him playing a little more.

I don’t see where he’s a liability. He’s actually invisible half the time, which is a good thing.

His lack of foot speed is a glaring liability, to me at least. There were a couple instances last night where he couldn't get to the boards by the point to keep the puck in the offensive zone. He's also sometimes a step or two behind a play in his own zone, just because his first stride is excruciatingly slow.

If he can figure out a way to improve that aspect of his game, we have a quality top-4 LHD on our hands. Fortunately for us, he's young and time is absolutely on our side.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Vilgrain actually did have two different 2 goal games in 91-92.

He was an older rookie, already 28-29 and had play 12 games before that season. 6 in 87-88 and another 6 in 88-89.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I meant hiding him in terms of competition. Nico and Bratt get stiff comp. Butch get's the easiest.

Butcher has excellent stick and puck skills, he's a smart player, see's the ice well, but he is small and he is slow. Giving him minutes vs top line guys and I think he will have issues.

I don't agree that he's slow. He's a good skater. Not John Moore quality but definitely above average

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Even worse. Stephen Gionta bless his heart couldn't score a point to save his life. Josefson. Tim Sestito (who actually has over 100 NHL games to his credit as a forward and has yet to score a goal) Ruutu at the tail end of his career. These guys were zeros offensively.

We have a bottom six now that is lightning fast and hard working. And with good enough hands that they will jump up and burn you if you're not careful. And Noesen is a former 1st rounder. Coleman a 3rd rounder. Wood 4th. We're not talking elite upsides for all but there was always skill there
to be fair, 2012, the meta was pretty different. now it's all about skill, but a few years ago, the grindgame is what got us to the finals, right?

maroon, noesen, and coleman would've been nightmares in that meta

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Shame with his eye injury. He was never the same after that. Should've had a longer career as a 40-50 point per year guy who's good defensively.
Was that in 95-96? I can’t remember if that coincided with the eye injury.

He certainly had a longer career that Todd, Vilgrain and Semak though.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Was that in 95-96? I can’t remember if that coincided with the eye injury.

He certainly had a longer career that Todd, Vilgrain and Semak though.

It was in the lockout year 1995. Something that happened in practice if I remember correctly.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
We hate on Greene, but he never get's an easy shift. He played about 30 seconds against the Nosek-Bellemare-Reaves line.

Butcher played the most vs that line. And when he did play against the Karlsson, or Tatar lines, his #'s plummet

bodda

Feb 26, 2012
Foppaland
We now have 27 more goals scored than the 16/17 season with 12 games left.

We currently have 11 players with 9+ goals (not counting Maroon+Grabner) compared to 7 last year.

Incredible.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
We hate on Greene, but he never get's an easy shift. He played about 30 seconds against the Nosek-Bellemare-Reaves line.

Butcher played the most vs that line. And when he did play against the Karlsson, or Tatar lines, his #'s plummet
this is true, but greene's decision making skills haven't looked sharp this season. bad outlet passes, dropping pucks to the opponents behind the net, weak clears, etc. you're right, he's playing against tough comp, but he NEEDS to be better if we're gonna be deeper. ideally we snag a 1LD this offseason and he drops to 2LD, where he'd be perfect.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
We now have 27 more goals scored than the 16/17 season with 12 games left.

We currently have 11 players with 9+ goals (not counting Maroon+Grabner) compared to 7 last year.

Incredible.

Severson and Coleman both have 9 goals and Stafford has 8. We may end up with 12 guys with double digit goals. Sometimes teams have the depth scoring without the superstar guy to lean on though, we have that guy in Hall.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
this is true, but greene's decision making skills haven't looked sharp this season. bad outlet passes, dropping pucks to the opponents behind the net, weak clears, etc. you're right, he's playing against tough comp, but he NEEDS to be better if we're gonna be deeper. ideally we snag a 1LD this offseason and he drops to 2LD, where he'd be perfect.
I think 3ld would be perfect. Play some PK.

A trade centered around Butcher for OEL? What more would it cost us?

Then we go OEL, Moore, Greene down the left side? Wait for Davies to fill in for Greene in a couple years.

I know, bad timing for such a discussion in the midst of a playoff run.

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
I liked the Nico play, but the entirety of the shift, including the zone entry, doing a lap in the zone, regrouping attacking the net and then finding Grabs for an easy tap in.

I thought Maroon's was the best pure pass of them all.

Not to take anything away from Gibbons, there just was some competition for pass of the night.
Couldn't agree more. The goal was the ending to a ridiculously hard working shift. The zone entry and circle as you mentioned plus the shot, going into the corner to chase the rebound and then walking out in front and using his patience to find Grabs... His puck possession is a real strong plus. I saw it the other night during a PK, went 1 on 3 down below the goal line for about 5-7 seconds circling by himself.

This kid is turning out to be the real deal. I thought Zajac comparable at first but he has the potential to be much better on the offensive side.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Couldn't agree more. The goal was the ending to a ridiculously hard working shift. The zone entry and circle as you mentioned plus the shot, going into the corner to chase the rebound and then walking out in front and using his patience to find Grabs... His puck possession is a real strong plus. I saw it the other night during a PK, went 1 on 3 down below the goal line for about 5-7 seconds circling by himself.

This kid is turning out to be the real deal. I thought Zajac comparable at first but he has the potential to be much better on the offensive side.
Lets also give some credit to Gibbons with the nifty back pass to Nico in the corner.

Reactions: OmNomNom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad