Movies: Spider-Man: No Way Home

Sep 19, 2008
I would like them to move out of his high school years--only about 30% of the spiderman comics take place during his high school years
I think that's an issue with the MCU spidey, most of it took place in Midtown High

Whereas in the Raimi-verse only some of 1 takes place in high school and Peter never goes to college, he ends up freelancing for the Bugle

Also people like Ned were noticeably absent from the Raimi verse. Flash Thompson exists but has a small role.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I know people are jumping on the Garfield bandwagon but my god were his films trash.

His Spider-Man may have told some quips but man did they screw up Spidey there.

Give Garfield the Marvel Studios treatment instead of the Sony treatment and it'll be Amazing. Let's be honest here too, Sony sucks. AM1 & AM2 sucked. Venom sucks. Carnage sucks. Homecoming and Far From Home weren't great. Hopefully Morbius is passable, but I'm holding out much hope.

Reactions: Jussi

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I know people are jumping on the Garfield bandwagon but my god were his films trash.

His Spider-Man may have told some quips but man did they screw up Spidey there.
Wrong. Thwy screwed up Peter Parker who was an arrogant prick. Spidey was quite good. Tobey did an alright Peter Parker but really was a lame Spider-man.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Wrong. Thwy screwed up Peter Parker who was an arrogant prick. Spidey was quite good. Tobey did an alright Peter Parker but really was a lame Spider-man.

Eh his Spider-Man wasn't that great either...I don't like how they messed up his origin and taking revenge.

Reactions: Voight

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Finally, for the first time since his debut in Civil War, the MCU Spider-Man actually FEELS like Spider-Man. The finally scene of No Way Home, with him hopping out the window of a crappy Queens apartment, in a hand-sewn costume, swinging through the snow put tears in my eyes. It was straight off a comic panel. Can’t wait to see what this new analog, anonymous Spiderman does in his next film. Hopefully the post-credits teaser was a hint.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
It's probably going to crack the top 10 for global box office after this weekend, could end up 6th on the all time list without a release in China, if it gets released there then it could have a shot at 3rd all time

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
More Spider-Man No Way Home thoughts (Spoilers):

- I loved that they actually let Spidey throw some punches in this movie. The last two MCU Spiderman movies may as well have renamed him to 'Web-man'...cause all he did in fights was shoot webs. In this movie he KICKS ASS. And gets his ass kicked right back. The fight between him and the Green Goblin at the end of the 2nd act is one of the most legit gritty fights the MCU has done since... Winter Soldier, maybe?

- Doctor Strange is being established very well as a man you do not want to f*** with. I was never a huge fan of the character, he rarely factored into the comics stories I read. Until Bendis started the New Avengers run leading up to Civil War, and suddenly Doctor Strange is a stone's throw away from a GOD. The MCU seems to be going that route, and combined with Cumberbatch's smarmy performance, I love it.

- Willem Dafoe's performance as the Green Goblin in this movie retroactively legitimized the Green Goblin from Sam Raimi's Spider-man. Wonderfully insane, delightfully vicious, as dangerous as Norman Osborne as he is dressed as a Goblin on a Glider. He was legitimately captivating, and part of me wished this entire movie was just Tom Holland's Spider-man vs Dafoe's Green Goblin.

- The scenes involving the 3 Spiderman actors were very sweet, funny and nostalgic. I was ready to hate the idea (maybe PTSD from reading through the entire Clone Saga in real time), but this movie handled it so well. I still maintain Andrew Garfield is the best Spider-Man (as in, character with the mask on... I want my Spiderman to be mouthy and sarcastic, just like the comics, damnit), and Tom Holland is the best Peter Park. Tobey Maguire is.... probably a decent guy? I don't know. I didn't like him as either Parker or Spiderman. But he was funny in this movie, so good for him.

- The end credit scene gave me a fanboy boner that probably required medical attention. Venom is the character that got me into comic books. I still remember the cover of the first comic I read, a shot of Venom standing over Spiderman's body, blood on his hand, with that big toothy grin. As you can imagine, as a Venom fan, I have been less than thrilled with his cinematic incarnations. I didn't hate the Topher Grace casting as much as a lot of people, cause Venom actually had been drawn in different ways, including a more lean version by John Romita Jr. I wasn't obsessed with Venom being a muscled hulk.... But Spider-Man 3 rendered arguably Spiderman's greatest challenge as a side-character. The Venom movies have written Spiderman, LITERALLY THE REASON VENOM EXISTS, out of the Venom story, and turned Venom into a comedy act.

So now, at the end of No Way Home, as all the people that know Peter Parker is Spiderman are sent back to their dimensions, a piece of the symbiote was left behind. And it still knows Peter Parker is Spiderman. And the last thing Eddie Brock said before being sent how was 'maybe we should head to New York and talk to this Spiderman'. If that glob of symbiote makes it's way to NYC and bonds to Tom Holland's Spiderman to start a LEGITIMATE Venom storyline, where Eddie Brock and the symbiotic joined because they both hate Spiderman, I will die a happy man.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
So, I'm about 15 minutes into it, and already my initial critique of the premise is making it difficult to enjoy the film...

The problem I have with this movie is the whole premise of Peter Parker trying to return to his old life... which has now become disrupted with the reveal of his identity

So, here's a question for the room...

You're Spider-Man... Ironman's protege... a member of The Avengers... you've fought in the most important battle in Earth's history... you've been to space... you're set for life financially due to your relationship with Tony Stark...

Who among you would give the slightest f*** about your high school diploma at this point?

The idea that Peter Parker wants to return to school is beyond silly... it's not what any of us would do under the same circumstances

Just like when Parker rejected Tony's initial offer to join The Avengers... not one goddamn person on the planet is going to turn down that opportunity

And he gave away those high-tech sunglasses that Stark gave to him... again, not something any of us would've done

The writers keep having Parker make ridiculous decisions for the sake of the plot... and it's frustrating, not compelling

Parker didn't just know Stark for a year... Tony loved him like a son... that was depicted quite clearly in the films...

Stark's net worth is approx. 100 billion... it should be assumed that Tony left set-for-life money to Peter in his will... and/or Pepper Potts put him on Stark Industries' payroll as an advisor or some other phantom position

But even if you don't want to assume that Tony put him in his will, or Potts is paying him a monthly allowance... Parker has an IQ of over 250, so he would have a job waiting for him at Stark Industries any time he likes...

If you're a teenager with an IQ over 250, would you rather be doing Grade 12 geography assignments, or working at Stark Industries in their research and development department making a million dollars a year?

In the MCU, we're well past the point of Parker having to work as a photographer to help Aunt May pay rent and put food on the table...

So, while I can appreciate his rich history in print, I'm not interested in seeing him continually make illogical decisions simply because that's what his character did 50+ years ago in a comic book...

Ned acknowledging he's not supposed to say anything to the cop... and then immediately starts talking to the cop...

MJ saying if they get into MIT, they'll need scholarships...

Peter and Aunt May remaining in her apartment after Parker is revealed to be Spider-man, rather than, you know, immediately relocating... in fact, are we to believe that Pepper Potts saw Peter's face plastered all over the news, and didn't reach out to offer any kind of assistance? She must own dozens of properties where Peter and Aunt May could've stayed...

Parker returning to high school amid all the publicity...

I'm actually a little pissed off just how stupid it is...

As an audience, we deserve better!

Sure, let's have Aunt May keep working at the soup kitchen... why not!

Last edited:

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
Peter breaking into the former Stark Tower and squatting there with May would have been an interesting way to reveal who bought it 8 years earlier in homecoming I guess...

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Peter breaking into the former Stark Tower and squatting there with May would have been an interesting way to reveal who bought it 8 years earlier in homecoming I guess...

I wasn't aware it had been sold...

In any event, I'm sure Stark had plenty of other properties for Peter and Aunt May to stay at...

Unless, of course, we're to believe Pepper Potts saw Peter's face plastered all over the news, and decided not to reach out and offer assistance...

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
So, I'm about 15 minutes into it, and already my initial critique of the premise is making it difficult to enjoy the film...

Ned acknowledging he's not supposed to say anything to the cop... and then immediately starts talking to the cop...

Peter and Aunt May remaining in her apartment after Parker is revealed to be Spider-man, rather than, you know, immediately relocating... in fact, are we to believe that Pepper Potts saw Peter's face plastered all over the news, and didn't reach out to offer any kind of assistance? She must own dozens of properties where Peter and Aunt May could've stayed...

Could be I got burnt out from constantly arguing about this sort of stuff but i'm learning to stop noticing the logical inconsistencies and narrative problems in these movies. These movies are what they are and at least they're entertaining unlike the rebooted Star Wars movies or the miserable DCU.

As an audience, we don't deserve anything. Not attacking you here or anything but voice your opinion via your wallet and don't see these movies or subscribe to D+. The post Avengers MCU is going to get extra "dumb" real quick IMO. It already started with the Eternals being these all powerful entities but conveniently not being around to help when existence in the universe was threatened. It got even more confusing with NWH and will get even more logically inconsistent in MoM.

These are joy rides for kids and potheads and it's pointless to argue for something more intellectual in my bitter and humble opinion :DD

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

ohh gawd not this again...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad