Movies: Spider-Man: No Way Home

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
So big question.. what’s next for Peter Parker ? Do they just move on with new characters introduced ? Hopefully not, him and MJ have great chemistry

Mrgnwllm

Apr 11, 2021
I enjoyed it . It falls nicely into my second tier of marvel films .

Top tier being
Ragnarok
Winter Soldier
Infinity War

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I don't think you need spoilers at this point? It wasn't very clear but I interpreted it as he made the 'multiverse' forget this specific MCU 'Peter Parker'.

Well the original spell was supposed to make everyone in the "world" forget. I think it's more likely that Strange made all those Spider-Man villain variants forget because they were breaking through into the main universe and "in-range" of the spell so to speak. Making the entire multiverse forget would be a lot harder. For the moment though, it isn't really clear.

It probably doesn't change much of anything going forward though. If the spell only affected everyone on Earth, then the only people who would still know Peter is Spider-Man are Fury, Captain Marvel, Thor, and the Guardians of the Galaxy (can't totally rule out Ant-Man either if events of his third film take place concurrently and he's in some other realm at the time).

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Underwhelming for me. No surprises, no thrills. The storyline was quite flat which is a feat considering the ingredients.

Pretty darn good still. But I won't watch it twice in the theatre. Am I alone in thinking it was visually... Plain?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Crazy that it has surpassed $1B already, only movies to get there faster were the last 2 Avengers ones. Took it 12 days while Infinity War took 11 and Endgame 5.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Crazy that it has surpassed $1B already, only movies to get there faster were the last 2 Avengers ones. Took it 12 days while Infinity War took 11 and Endgame 5.

First movie to hit 1 billion in the pandemic era I believe as well.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Well the original spell was supposed to make everyone in the "world" forget. I think it's more likely that Strange made all those Spider-Man villain variants forget because they were breaking through into the main universe and "in-range" of the spell so to speak. Making the entire multiverse forget would be a lot harder. For the moment though, it isn't really clear.

It probably doesn't change much of anything going forward though. If the spell only affected everyone on Earth, then the only people who would still know Peter is Spider-Man are Fury, Captain Marvel, Thor, and the Guardians of the Galaxy (can't totally rule out Ant-Man either if events of his third film take place concurrently and he's in some other realm at the time).

The movie is set after End Game. Strange talks about them saving the universe together and how he was "blipped."

So, Ant Man would also have forgotten.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Honestly, I am in the minority, but I thought it was just okay.

I don't think it topped the Raimi era Spiderman. If anything it showed me those films were more impressive and I believe the nostalgia of it is a major reason for NWH's box office success.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Honestly, I am in the minority, but I thought it was just okay.

I don't think it topped the Raimi era Spiderman. If anything it showed me those films were more impressive and I believe the nostalgia of it is a major reason for NWH's box office success.
The Raimi era Spider-Man (the hyphen is not optional) were pretty good movies, but there was little love for the comics in them. Mary Jane was character assassination and whilst he had a pretty good grasp on Peter Parker.. He just didn't understand Spider-man nor his villains except green goblin.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
I mean, in this current iteration, didn't they make up an MJ? Isn't there supposed to be a Harry Osborne?

There are so many different version comic storylines for these superheros that I don't really even think the most diehard comic fans know what they want.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I mean, in this current iteration, didn't they make up an MJ? Isn't there supposed to be a Harry Osborne?

There are so many different version comic storylines for these superheros that I don't really even think the most diehard comic fans know what they want.

I'd much rather have an intelligent yet socially awkward variant MJ than the emotionally manipulative one we got complete with tonal and motivation based inconsistencies across the Raimi trilogy. There's characters with flaws and there's Raimi's MJ who resoundingly presented as someone our hero should not have been idolizing, pining after, and/or loving. She's a completely toxic individual and one that if I'm rewatching the Raimi trilogy all I end up thinking is "damn man, my headcanon is that in Spiderman 4, Peter realizes what a shitty person MJ is and gives that girl Gwen Stacy a go"

And with that in mind, to your earlier point, it's nostalgia that gives Raimi's movies power at this point. Don't get me wrong. Spiderman 1 was the movie that hooked me into superheroes and Spidey is definitely my favorite superhero as a result.

But the movies don't hold up with the years as well as some think. That's not to say 1 and 2 are bad but they're far from perfect. Spiderman 3 I barely need to talk about it. It's an armpit stain of a movie with few redeeming qualities.

Spiderman 1 is a solid take on the classic origin story and laid the groundwork for just about every superhero origin movie that followed it. The performances outside of Defoe and Simmons are fine to strained. The dialogue is really stilted in most places even for its time. With Goblin, yeah you don't need to have some deep backstory, but if you're going to make the attempt the writing could have been a lot better around Norman, Harry, and Goblin. Things are either not explained properly, unfold inconsistently, or are marred by campy silliness. MJ was fine in this one. Again, I don't hate it but it's far from a perfect movie. I mean if it came out today, let's say hypothetically with modern day equivalent filmmaking techniques and technology, I don't think it would be very well regarded. It benefits a lot from being more or less the first big blockbuster superhero movie and it's current regard is built on nostalgia as much or more so than it' own merits.

Spiderman 2 has long held the title of best Spiderman movie but it's far from perfect itself. Yeah it's paced well, score's fantastic, action is great, there's a handful of really strong and memorable Spiderman moments, and it tones down the camp from the first film a lot more. Or at least utilizes it more efficiently. But, and this is where you get into MJ character assassination, nearly everything that related to Peter Parker was ass. How Aunt May reacted to Peter telling her what happened with Ben is borderline character assassination with her guilt tripping Peter rather than offering guidance and absolution. Everything with MJ is stupid. From how she copes with being rejected by Peter in the first film to how she tries to emotionally strike back at him with her new relationship and how that toxic manipulation tactic ultimately works and wins Peter's love and attention back (???) to her leaving a guy at the altar to be with Peter/Spiderman. And worst of all promising to be devoted to Spiderman no matter what the cost, what the risk, or what the danger. Except in the opening 20 minutes of the next film she's already being shitty about Peter going out to do his Spidey duties as much as he does which starts the ball rolling on them breaking up.

Going back to Spiderman 2 knowing how she starts acting in 3 puts a sour note on the entire Peter/MJ side story in 2 and makes the entire payoff of her pulling a runaway bride to be with Peter. It was stupid and terribly written for manufactured relationship drama in the first place, but seeing where that leads to in the sequel makes it that much worse.

Don't get me wrong. No Way Home isn't perfect either, and yes, it gets a lot of strength out of nostalgia. But nostalgia glasses make the Raimi trilogy look a lot prettier than they actually are.

Last edited:
Reactions: robertmac43

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
andrew garfield deserves a third movie for the amazing spider man series. good actor and shows alot of emotions. hopefully sony/marvel plan to make one at some point.

Reactions: Jussi

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
One of the best superhero movies I’ve ever seen and arguably the coolest Spider-Man entry in all forms of entertainment

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
That was phenomenal. Easily the best spiderman movie since the original Rami one.

It's a perfect blend of story and fanservice...ends in a comic book style too given Peter is left with nothing and having to give up the people he cares most about to protect them.

Now that we've closed the book on the Sinister Six essentially, I humbly request we get a move where the f***ing Kingpin is the big bad. He was my favorite baddie growing up watching the cartoon.

Sep 19, 2008
So in America the streaming service Peacock had all 3 Raimi Spider Man movies on free streaming until yesterday, so after watching NWH I just binged those over the last week.

I kind of want to re-watch NWH now but still, the Raimi trilogy (maybe this is recency bias) comes across as very, very great, especially 3, which received disdain but upon further review is actually a solid film (I mean, Harry's redemption arc? Harry and Peter teaming up to take on a tag team of Sandman and Venom?)

The Raimi trilogy also closely follows the FOX Spider Man cartoons, with the existence of Dr. Connors and Oscorp, the latter of which is referenced by Norman as not existing in the MCU :laugh:

If anything I was talking with another poster in another forum here about this, the Raimi Spider man are over the top laudatory of him. It's all praise especially when there's a whole day dedicated to Spidey where he gets the key to the city, or the train scene in Spider Man 2. To be fair those scenes did lend itself to hilarious memes.

iu

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I know people are jumping on the Garfield bandwagon but my god were his films trash.

His Spider-Man may have told some quips but man did they screw up Spidey there.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad