Spezza to Hemsky combo

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
I'd even like to keep MM9. They should offer him a 2-year deal at $6m. Very unlikely he'd take it, but, who knows.
Maybe the fact that he's been well overpaid the last couple of years while putting up pretty lousy numbers would weigh on his mind.

Michalek would take that deal in a heartbeat. I sincerely doubt anyone offers him more than $2 million (although Murray will if Hemsky doesn't sign here).

He scored the odd goal here and there but is completely ineffective at doing anything else. He loses puck most battles, can't receive passes, is an ineffective checker (stick and body) and just doesn't do much. I think it's definitely time to cut bait on him, especially if it's a choice between him and Hemsky.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Michalek would take that deal in a heartbeat. I sincerely doubt anyone offers him more than $2 million (although Murray will if Hemsky doesn't sign here).

He scored the odd goal here and there but is completely ineffective at doing anything else. He loses puck most battles, can't receive passes, is an ineffective checker (stick and body) and just doesn't do much. I think it's definitely time to cut bait on him, especially if it's a choice between him and Hemsky.

If you think no body will offer Michalek 2 million per, you will be very surprised

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

If i were a betting man, I'd wager that Michalek makes at least 3.5 per year depending on term his next contract.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
A "down year" is a total understatement. It's one thing if a guys numbers drop, you can chalk that up to bad luck or linemates not playing well or variance or whatever. Michalek is bad at everything now. He's very weak on the puck and just doesn't help create a whole lot of offense.

Maybe some team will offer him a lot, all the more reason for the Sens to let this guy go.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Umm Hemksy has 1 point and is a -3 in his last 5 games, if that's his long term production no thanks

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Umm Hemksy has 1 point and is a -3 in his last 5 games, if that's his long term production no thanks

and what, 6 points in 6 games before that?

Sounds like vintage Hemsky to me. He's streaky, but still a legit skilled top 6 that will probably increase his point totals from the years in edmonton if given more minutes and powerplay time.

A big upgrade on what they have without him. I really hope the Sens re-sign him.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I'd love Hemsky to re-sign, but if I'm him and just finally escaped the arm pit of the NHL, I wanna go to a team with a good chance at a cup. That isn't Ottawa.

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
If Murray and Melnyk are serious about the Sens being contenders next year (LOL), they have to re-sign Hemsky.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If Murray and Melnyk are serious about the Sens being contenders next year (LOL), they have to re-sign Hemsky.

It's not just up to them

Hemsky will be looking for a combination of term and shot at a cup

We can offer term but not much of a shot at a cup unless we go to town in the off season

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's not just up to them

Hemsky will be looking for a combination of term and shot at a cup

We can offer term but not much of a shot at a cup unless we go to town in the off season

I'm not so sure about that, just because they had a **** yr doesn't mean it will be repeated again next yr. Other teams have come back from a **** yr to do well the next yr & if they can re-sign Hemsky & Michalek or sign a UFA or trade for a forward with the same kind of potential as Michalek or better than why wouldn't they have a chance?

IMO they only need a couple of changes to be playoff contenders, this was a yr where everything that could go wrong with this team did go wrong with this team & a lot of it was their own fault. Hopefully, they can learn from this in the off season & go back to taking less penalties & being much harder to play against. They also need much better goaltending from both goaltenders & I would guess Hoffman & Stone would be part of next yr's team from the get go.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
that's a bad contract if he doesn't put up at least 60 points. I think we shouldn't judge him based only on what he's done in Ottawa. New team, rejuvenated... doesn't mean he can keep this up.

Last night was a glimpse at how bad he can be

Most of the guys signed to ~$5.5M contracts aren't hitting 60 points. The guys that are are on discount deals signed a few years ago, or have yet to hit UFA (Krejci, Benn, Neal, Kane).

If Hemsky puts up 50-55 points, he's worth $5.5M, easily, with the cap where it is now.

If Hemsky hits 60 points on a $5.5M contract, that's a steal.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm not so sure about that, just because they had a **** yr doesn't mean it will be repeated again next yr. Other teams have come back from a **** yr to do well the next yr & if they can re-sign Hemsky & Michalek or sign a UFA or trade for a forward with the same kind of potential as Michalek or better than why wouldn't they have a chance?

IMO they only need a couple of changes to be playoff contenders, this was a yr where everything that could go wrong with this team did go wrong with this team & a lot of it was their own fault. Hopefully, they can learn from this in the off season & go back to taking less penalties & being much harder to play against. They also need much better goaltending from both goaltenders & I would guess Hoffman & Stone would be part of next yr's team from the get go.

We couldn't convince Alfredsson that we had a shot

I agree we're not that far off from being playoff contenders (I don't know about Cup aspirations!) but this year is a train crash with burning children trying to escape the wreckage as we look on

Trying to convince anyone it'll get better won't be an easy task

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We couldn't convince Alfredsson that we had a shot

I agree we're not that far off from being playoff contenders (I don't know about Cup aspirations!) but this year is a train crash with burning children trying to escape the wreckage as we look on

Trying to convince anyone it'll get better won't be an easy task

I think if they have another bad yr next season than you will see Spezza, Anderson, Neil, Phillips & maybe a few more on the block. Teams can have a bad yr & Ottawa management could see this yr as just a bad yr where everything went wrong but two yrs in a row would certainly spell disaster for the franchise but I think they come back with a good season next yr. We'll see.

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
I don't really see how Hemsky doesn't get a paycut. He's basically been a 0.5 PPG guy since he signed his current deal, and before that he was close to a PPG guy every year. The cap is going up, but it won't be very far from where it was two years ago when he signed the deal.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I agree

But we're fans, will Hemsky be convinced that we can be much better next year though? That's the question

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
I don't really see how Hemsky doesn't get a paycut. He's basically been a 0.5 PPG guy since he signed his current deal, and before that he was close to a PPG guy every year. The cap is going up, but it won't be very far from where it was two years ago when he signed the deal.

He's just going to argue his numbers are down because the coaches played him less on the PP and on the third line ES. Besides, 1 and a half seasons of down production while getting third line mins isn't necessarily a trend.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site

Veteran guy with proven (if somewhat dispointing) performance. He's a skilled guy and you know a good team is going to think he can do better with their team than the Oilers.

Vets almost always get more than we think they should or will get.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
The point is to re-sign Hemsky? Like they did with Andy...

This hasn't happened yet, and unfortunately contracts are things. As of right now Murray moved two picks for a UFA rental in a non-playoff season. That's wasteful. I'll re-evaluate my stance if Hemsky re-signs.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
This hasn't happened yet, and unfortunately contracts are things. As of right now Murray moved two picks for a UFA rental in a non-playoff season. That's wasteful. I'll re-evaluate my stance if Hemsky re-signs.

Two crap shoot picks in a terrible draft year.

THis move will haunt the Senators for decades.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
That isn't really the point.

How is it not? That's what he traded away, he got a player to help give the team a push when the playoffs were still possible, and hopefully the inside track to re-sign him.

At the cost of next to nothing.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
How is it not? That's what he traded away, he got a player to help give the team a push when the playoffs were still possible, and hopefully the inside track to re-sign him.

At the cost of next to nothing.

And unless he's actually re-signed, to a reasonable deal, it will have been a waste. This isn't a team that can afford to waste currency, even in small transactions. With the payroll they have, they need to have an edge somewhere else, be it asset management, advanced statistics or a combination of multiple things. On its own, tossing away two picks for a UFA rental won't kill you. Tossing a Vezina trophy winner away for nothing won't kill you. Trading 3 excellent assets to rent Bobby Ryan for two non-contention seasons won't even kill you. But when poor asset management becomes the norm, you're in trouble. Especially when you have a bottom-5 payroll. Asset management absolutely has to be a huge strength for a management team to contend with a bottom-5 payroll, and for this team that just isn't the case. The Hemsky trade, so far, is just another symptom of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad