Spezza to Hemsky combo

TheOneFootedSauce25

Jun 20, 2011
puck
This is an appreciation thread for the tandem that has to deal with michalek. Since the acquisition Spezza has looked really good and has been on a point tear, the trade seems to be a revitalization for Hemsky as he and Spezza click well. I will be honest that I did not want Hemsky when the Stewart/Moulson rumors were going around but for what we got him for and the retained salary... cheers Mr. Murray

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
Other than being fun to watch him for a few weeks, if Hemsky doesn't get signed it was ultimately pointless and a bit of a waste considering the teams performance and playoff aspirations.

Our scouting staff as earned the assumption that a mid-round pick can be turned into something of value, so although we got Hemsky for cheap, it's not like we got him for nothing.

Retained salary on an expiring deal doesn't mean anything for the fans.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Spezza and Hemsky work very well. But Hemsky could work well with anyone on this team.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Hence why I hope he re-signs

I hope he does to. There will be budget issues if he does though, so I wouldn't be surprised if Spezza gets moved. Even when Michalek walks this team will probably not have enough money to sign both Spezza and Hemsky.

WhiteLight*

4M x 2 is the MAX I would give Hemsky. The maximum

Injury prone and we don't even know if he'll produce like a top 6

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
4M x 2 is the MAX I would give Hemsky. The maximum

Injury prone and we don't even know if he'll produce like a top 6

I'd give him at least 5.5. What I have seen from his style of play, he is worth the risk. Skates hard, hits, back checks, great hands, etc...

WhiteLight*

I'd give him at least 5.5. What I have seen from his style of play, he is worth the risk. Skates hard, hits, back checks, great hands, etc...

that's a bad contract if he doesn't put up at least 60 points. I think we shouldn't judge him based only on what he's done in Ottawa. New team, rejuvenated... doesn't mean he can keep this up.

Last night was a glimpse at how bad he can be

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Other than being fun to watch him for a few weeks, if Hemsky doesn't get signed it was ultimately pointless and a bit of a waste considering the teams performance and playoff aspirations.

It is also the management team's job to keep bums in the seats. I am far more interested in going to see a playoff-less team with Hemsky than without. There's been some real magic, and the fact that it might only last a few more weeks makes it all the more enticing.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Lol @ people thinking we paid too much for Hemsky.

It's easy to say now that we should've stayed pat - we just ended a six game losing streak to essentially kill any chance at a playoff spot. At the time though, we had a good chance. If we won those 6 instead of lost, we be in a playoff spot.

That aside, Hemsky is looking great and if this gives us an edge in signing him then it's just icing on the cake. Only on hfboards is a 3rd and a 5th too much to give up haha

Lundmark17

Mar 3, 2004
Personally I would like for management to keep Hemsky and ditch Michalek. Some on here seem to think Hemsky and Michalek are going to want to play together, I hope that's not the case but if it is they better grind Michalek down on a deal. At this rate he plays like a good 3rd liner. Ideally I would like to see Hemsky with Spezza and a young prospect.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
that's a bad contract if he doesn't put up at least 60 points. I think we shouldn't judge him based only on what he's done in Ottawa. New team, rejuvenated... doesn't mean he can keep this up.

Sure, but we gave Fisher 4 million not that long ago (6m at one time), and he was only really good at skating forward and throwing a hit here and there, and not much else. Hemsky can do basically everything. If they don't take a risk on him at 5.5, another team certainly will.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
This is an appreciation thread for the tandem that has to deal with michalek. Since the acquisition Spezza has looked really good and has been on a point tear, the trade seems to be a revitalization for Hemsky as he and Spezza click well. I will be honest that I did not want Hemsky when the Stewart/Moulson rumors were going around but for what we got him for and the retained salary... cheers Mr. Murray

Would would Murray get props for burning two picks for a UFA rental in a season where the team will miss the playoffs?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

5-5.5 is a lot more realistic for Hemsky than 4. He's not going to take a pay cut

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Agreed.

I also agree with OP. That line would be so much more lethal without Michalek.

Michalek sucks and always has and the love he gets is beyond me.

I think he's been a lot better lately, but I can't imagine the Sens keeping him unless he takes a ludicrous pay cut. Somebody out there is going to offer him 4-5 million on a multiple year contract, I doubt its the Sens.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think he's been a lot better lately, but I can't imagine the Sens keeping him unless he takes a ludicrous pay cut. Somebody out there is going to offer him 4-5 million on a multiple year contract, I doubt its the Sens.

Of course he's been a lot better. We got Hemsky.

Put me on that line and I will be a lot better.

Michalek does this one move where I feel like punching a baby. On the forecheck, he extends his stick and arches his back then throws his ass at the boards hoping to intercept the puck going around the boards. He does it so slow that the defender can either easily walk around him or rim it around with no real threat of an interception.... In other words, as if no one is really forechecking.

He also loses almost every real board battle known to mankind. When he actually tries, he can steal the puck so easily and create chances.

Michalek is also so fast yet he rarely uses it. He outskated Stamkos last night when they were skating from 40 feet out to chase a loose puck.

Getttttttttttt himmmmm attttaaaa hereeeeee.

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
Hemsky is the exact type of top 6 forward this team needs - he's versatile and can play with anyone so if injuries happen or the team needs a shake up he's not lost without his regular line mates.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
Agreed.

Michalek sucks and always has and the love he gets is beyond me.

Michalek has struggled and needs to go but "sucks and always has" is such bs. His biggest problems is his constant injuries but the years he has been healthy in SJ and Ottawa were good years.

What sucks more than Michalek is the fact that I don't see a young player (other than Turris, Ryan or Karlsson) in the organization that is a threat to score 30 goals or get 60 points like Michalek has done.

Michalek is a broken down, formerly good player. We don't have anything coming along that is comparable to what he was.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'd like to get Hemsky for a few more years. 4 years at 5.0 is what I'd be ready to pay

Next year :

Hemsky-Spezza-Zibanejad
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan

Bot-6 : Da Costa, Pageau, Hoffman, Stone, Smith, Neil, Grant

If we can get another big UFA forward, throw Zibanejad in the bot-6 to make it even stronger...

Hemsky-Spezza-UFA
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Stone
Smith-Da Costa-Neil
Grant/Pageau

* Trade or buy out Greening and Condra

I'll never understand that state of mind... We are all on borrowed time

If Hemsky had more time left on his contract, price would have been much higher. We were able to get him for late picks at half salary because of the buy low timing (UFA + need change of scenery + salary dump, even if only 512 821$)

Only 25 player have 60 pts or more so far this year... 58 players had 60 pts or more in 2011-12 (last full season)

I think your reasoning has to evolve with the market a bit... Hemsky is probably worth more like 5.0 than 4.0... He would be a steal at 4.0, but at some point a team can't only have steal contracts (Turris, McA, Karlsson, Methot, Andy, Smith, etc.). The average salary for a NHLer is around 3.0 nowadays.

The only 2 potential (Greening's contract hasn't even kicked in yet) bad contracts on the team are Phillips (2.5) and Greening (2.65). I'd even argue that Phillips is not a huge problem considering the total cost for all his career.

1997-98 $875,000
1998-99 $875,000
1999-00 $875,000
2000-01 $962,500
2001-02 $1,058,750
2002-03 $1,450,000
2003-04 $1,675,000
2004-05 Lockout
2005-06 $1,876,000
2006-07 $2,204,000
2007-08 $3,500,000
2008-09 $3,500,000
2009-10 $3,500,000
2010-11 $3,500,000
2011-12 $2,750,000
2012-13 $3,250,000
2013-14 $3,250,000
2014-15 $2,500,000
2015-16 $2,500,000

40 M$ for 18 seasons (2.22 per year), likely over 1200 games and was a high end D-man in most of them, and a playoffs warrior/leader

Phillips is getting a good retirement contract for all he did for the organization.

This fanbase should be proud to have a great career D-man who played for only 1 team. But instead, they disrespect the guy so much. Makes me want to vomit seriously. Makes me a lot less of a fan, hard to associate myself with a bunch of entitled, whiny & spoiled kids like that. Phillips has accomplished a great NHL career, who of those freaking whiners can't even say 1% of that? lolz

Lol @ people thinking we paid too much for Hemsky.

It's easy to say now that we should've stayed pat - we just ended a six game losing streak to essentially kill any chance at a playoff spot. At the time though, we had a good chance. If we won those 6 instead of lost, we be in a playoff spot.

That aside, Hemsky is looking great and if this gives us an edge in signing him then it's just icing on the cake. Only on hfboards is a 3rd and a 5th too much to give up haha

a 3rd (in a weak draft) and a 5th (so probably the value of two 5th) is a steal for a player like Hemsky at half salary... Hemsky is basically costing 512 821$ for 40 days (a bit more than 1/5th of the season)...

Sure, but we gave Fisher 4 million not that long ago (6m at one time), and he was only really good at skating forward and throwing a hit here and there, and not much else.

Ridiculous comment, but not surprising... Fisher was also a strong physical 2-way center with very good skating and + 20 goals/50 pts scorer most of his time in Ottawa...

Would would Murray get props for burning two picks for a UFA rental in a season where the team will miss the playoffs?

The point is to re-sign Hemsky? Like they did with Andy...

Last edited:

LynxBud

Nov 27, 2013
Gloucester
I'd like to see the Sens keep Hemsky. I think it'd be worth paying him around $5m a season for maybe 4 years.

I'd even like to keep MM9. They should offer him a 2-year deal at $6m. Very unlikely he'd take it, but, who knows.
Maybe the fact that he's been well overpaid the last couple of years while putting up pretty lousy numbers would weigh on his mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad