Speculation: Spezza, Muzzin, and Mikheyev are significant losses.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I love Mikheyev and Spezza, but Mik may have just had the best year of his career and got paid for it. I don't think he would bring enough value to the Leafs to consider paying anything close to that contract. Spezza was done. He still showed flashes because he used to be an elite player, but at his age he's unlikely to even perform at the same level as the previous year which was barely a 4th line level.

The two guys we could actually use from last year that haven't played yet are still on our roster (Muzzin and Liljegren).

For Muzzin it's a question of whether we get playoff Muzzin or last years regular season Muzzin. Hes definitely trending down and might be part of a cap clearing trade soon (TDL? Next Offseason?), but a 2022 playoff-level Muzzin and the return of Liljegren would help make our team look significantly better in my opinion.

I like them as 7th Dmen, but replacing Holl and Mete with Liljegren and Muzzin would be huge for this club right now.

Having said that, our issue so far has been Matthews/Marner not producing enough based on their expectations/caphit. However, I wouldn't worry about our star players not playing well enough yet because Matthews will get going offensively. If you'd like to bet his goal scoring doesn't significantly improve I'll gladly take that wager!

Take some solace in the fact that our biggest question mark (goaltending) has been good so far (fingers crossed). If that continues, we will easily get a good playoff seed.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I wonder if Dubas has kicked tired on PK Subban. Last I heard he was waiting for the season to begin before making a decision and the loss of Muzzin leaves an experience gap on our blue line. I’d be excited to sign him to a cheap one year deal. Assuming he wouldn’t cost over 3mil.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I wonder if Dubas has kicked tired on PK Subban. Last I heard he was waiting for the season to begin before making a decision and the loss of Muzzin leaves an experience gap on our blue line. I’d be excited to sign him to a cheap one year deal. Assuming he wouldn’t cost over 3mil.
Didn't he retire?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Google says he did. I guess I missed that. I’d read an article on nhl.com during the off season where he said he wasn’t in a hurry to sign before the season started. I guess that changed in late September.
Yeah thought I heard the same.

Oh yeah? You would rather have Holl playing?
😂said no one ever

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
We’re sweating a $750K difference between Holl and Lyubushkin with Matt Murray making over $4.0 million to sit in LTIR?
What does Murray have to do with anything?

Giving Lyubushkin 2.75m for 2 years and playing him over a better, cheaper player does not help us.

horner

May 22, 2007
No, it absolutely would not have. Both are significantly overpaid. Lyubushkin isn't even in this lineup when it's healthy.
We had a better d last yr and he some how he was in the lineup.
We have no snarl on the back end now . W e will get rocked in the playoffs especially if Jake is finished.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
We had a better d last yr and he some how he was in the lineup.
We have no snarl on the back end now . W e will get rocked in the playoffs especially if Jake is finished.
Better D? It's the exact same 7 defensemen aside from him... And I don't think we ever had a healthy defense after acquiring Lyubushkin.
He played in the playoffs, and that was likely a mistake. He had to be sheltered and still didn't play very well.
He'd be the #8 on this team right now when fully healthy, and you should absolutely not be paying your #8D 2.75m, even if you have unfounded fears about "getting rocked in the playoffs".

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Not too concerned about the two guys up front but Muzzin is a huge loss if he's out for good.

The Leafs have no one in the organization who come close to replacing him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What does Murray have to do with anything?

Giving Lyubushkin 2.75m for 2 years and playing him over a better, cheaper player does not help us.

I guess we would be sweating $2.75 million on any marginal roster player since there’s $10 million frozen in LTIR with Murray and Muzzin. But who could have seen that coming?

Reactions: Cleetus

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
How is Mikheyev doing out in a Canucks Jersey? They severely overpaid for him and now he will get booed for not delivering. Spezza while he is a Beauty cannot be a fourth liner, guy still has the mitts but is way too slow. As many have stated, Muzzin was our worst D man during the regular season and one of our best during the playoffs. Adding this injury to the list of those suffers IMO means he is done.

I say we see how this year plays out and if we are still a tire fire (being obtuse) at the TDL trade Kerfoot, Holl, Engvall and anybody else not part of the core or under 25 and part of the team long term. Sure we are rolling the dice but I’d rather actually get better as a team then whimper into the playoffs or be one and done yet again.

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
JT's contract is going to keep the window for this team to win closed because we can't afford to keep any of the depth guys who show promise. Saying that, there is no way I would have given the soupman that contract. He's a 3.5 million dollar guy max.

Reactions: horner

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
You think the Oilers' bottom six got them to the conference finals? Stop making excuses for the big 4. They should be single handedly taking over games for the money they commanded. Losing Muzzin hurts but you got Giordano for league min and Sandin/Liljgren stepping in.. There is no excuse for Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Tavares not to just absolutely dummy teams, especially the line that faces the 2nd best defensive effort of the other teams. There's so much more wrong with the team than the depth.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

horner

May 22, 2007
Better D? It's the exact same 7 defensemen aside from him... And I don't think we ever had a healthy defense after acquiring Lyubushkin.
He played in the playoffs, and that was likely a mistake. He had to be sheltered and still didn't play very well.
He'd be the #8 on this team right now when fully healthy, and you should absolutely not be paying your #8D 2.75m, even if you have unfounded fears about "getting rocked in the playoffs".
I like what he brings you don't and that's OK.

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
Freddy Andersen, Zach Hyman and Nazem Kadri also significant losses.
Hyman and Kadri losses I think is what killed this teams chance to win. Do we have them if we didn't sign JT? I think so.

I have hope in Samsonov though. He's look solid the first little bit here.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Spezza's voice might be a real loss. Time and again he seemed to be the guy with the veteran words, rally the troops, steady the ship. Maybe they're just words, but we'll see if anyone's picked up that mantle and can have that effect on the group.

fillkessel

Nov 17, 2010
Boys mikheyev stinks. The only significant thing we would have been missing is cap space.
Muzzin is solid but he’s slowing down and the game is speeding up. He needs to think about his health at this point.
Spezza deserves to be on this list. We all miss him. He was so smooth with it. Those hands belong in a museum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad