Blue Jays Discussion: Spending money on FA's?! Yes you read that correctly (Russell Martin signs $82M/5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
There's no doubt young pitching is more valuable these days. Pitchers are developing and hitting their primes faster than in the past, and blowing out earlier (probably because they're throwing harder than ever). But that said, I think the real debate is whether the staff would be more balanced with Lester. Dickey is not the prototypical wily veteran of a staff by all accounts, mostly because his story and repertoire are not relatable to the other pitchers. So if Buerhle is traded, the staff needs a leader who's been there. I know it's hockey, but look at the Edmonton Oilers - there's something to be said for expertise. Being there before has value.

Also, prospects fail. We can expect at least one of Sanchez, Norris, Hoffman, Osuna to bust hard. If you have an opportunity to get a guaranteed top of the rotation pitcher at an acceptable price (even if you are swallowing hard, it's free agency after all), then you do it. Especially if it weakens the BoSox.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Teams that can be and should be interested in Navarro:

Tampa Bay - Only have Jose Molina, and Ryan Hannigan. Two catchers that are careeer backups. In the market for a catcher.

Chicago White Sox - Have Tyler Flowers. But looking for consistency.

Texas Rangers - After a failed JP experiment, they have Robinson Chironis. Although he had a good season in limited at bats it doesnt mean an upgrade isnt in the offing.

Atlanta Braves - Have no body. Lost McCann, have hole ever since.

Chicago Cubs - Have no body.

Pittsburgh Pirates - Lost Martin to us. Need to fill hole. Ceravelli doesnt fit the hole.

So there are some teams looking. We need to get best deal possible to fill holes.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
@Ken_Rosenthal: Add #BlueJays to long list of clubs pursuing Torii Hunter. Team pursued him two years ago, not especially confident of retaining Melky.

Let's take Torii to the pride parade to show him what the city has to offer :sarcasm:

He's been productive, but what is he, 39? How many guys in the post-steroid era have put up numbers acceptable at a corner outfield spot (factoring in CF may not be great offensively) at that age? Don't want another Frank Thomas where we acquire him just when he runs out of gas. If this team has hopes of contending, I want more of a sure thing.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I wouldnt get your hopes up in getting back anything that great.

I'd be fine in trading him for a prospect, shedding his 5 million and redirecting it somewhere else.

Catchers are at a premium. Teams will pay a hefty price for a catcher of Navarro's calibre and price. Dont be so sure on getting nothing. Maybe him packaged with someothing gets you something good.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013

Tampa Bay - Only have Jose Molina, and Ryan Hannigan. Two catchers that are careeer backups. In the market for a catcher.

Texas Rangers - After a failed JP experiment, they have Robinson Chironis. Although he had a good season in limited at bats it doesnt mean an upgrade isnt in the offing.

Pittsburgh Pirates - Lost Martin to us. Need to fill hole. Ceravelli doesnt fit the hole.

So there are some teams looking. We need to get best deal possible to fill holes.

The Braves are rolling with Bethancourt and are quite high on him. Trading Gattis to make room.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont

IMO, I think a team like LAA & LAD need a catcher more then some of the teams listed above.

Tampa would rather have Molina because he works well with the young pitchers.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Let's take Torii to the pride parade to show him what the city has to offer :sarcasm:

He's been productive, but what is he, 39? How many guys in the post-steroid era have put up numbers acceptable at a corner outfield spot (factoring in CF may not be great offensively) at that age? Don't want another Frank Thomas where we acquire him just when he runs out of gas. If this team has hopes of contending, I want more of a sure thing.

IMO, if you acquire someone like Hunter..he'd be more of a role player on this team.

He's still a good defender and he doesn't hurt you in the box.

Not sure how this is a bad option....considering you could probably get him on a 1-2 contract max.

We need some good leaders in the clubhouse...guys that have gone to the playoffs!

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010

Cubs don't need him they had him and let him go. They have Wellington Castillo holding down the fort for Kyle Schwarber who is one of the young studs.

I see the Rangers as a team that could use him.

Package

Navarro
Dickey
Thole

for something

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Ben Nicholson-Smith ‏@bnicholsonsmith 1m1 minute ago
#BlueJays add RHP Ryan Tepera to 40-man to protect him from Rule 5

Uhh why? There is like zero chance he would manage to stick on a team's 25 man roster for a whole season.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
IMO, if you acquire someone like Hunter..he'd be more of a role player on this team.

He's still a good defender and he doesn't hurt you in the box.

Not sure how this is a bad option....considering you could probably get him on a 1-2 contract max.

We need some good leaders in the clubhouse...guys that have gone to the playoffs!

He's gonna be looking for a starting spot, I'm sure.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Uhh why? There is like zero chance he would manage to stick on a team's 25 man roster for a whole season.

He was just in Buffalo last season? There's definitely a chance he could end up in the Jays pen.

Jaysfanatic*

who saw jays as big players this winter? team that had zero $ at deadline nabbed martin ($82M) & is in on everyone else.

-jon heyman

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008

After moving from the rotation to the pen his fastball velocity shot up to mid to high 90's and his slider improved its break, he actually stands to be a decent pen option going forward. Has late inning stuff.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
He was just in Buffalo last season? There's definitely a chance he could end up in the Jays pen.

Yup, but he wasn't that dominant. 3.66 ERA as a 26 year old in Buffalo and extremely mediocre numbers throughout the minors (though mainly as a starter). Unlikely he becomes anything.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
And what's wrong with that?

He still hit .286 last year and has been pretty good his entire career.

You could easily play him both as a OF/DH.

Yep don't have a problem with Hunter as an option.

He's not Melky but he's still solid, and costs a fraction. I bet you can get him on a one year deal with a vesting option, for somewhere in the 10-14 mil range.

He can still play LF, probably in the Melky range

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Yup, but he wasn't that dominant. 3.66 ERA as a 26 year old in Buffalo and extremely mediocre numbers throughout the minors (though mainly as a starter). Unlikely he becomes anything.

He had a rough couple of outings in June that inflated his ERA.

9.4K/9 and a 3.4BB/9 and he induces lots of ground balls.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Yep don't have a problem with Hunter as an option.

He's not Melky but he's still solid, and costs a fraction. I bet you can get him on a one year deal with a vesting option, for somewhere in the 10-14 mil range.

He can still play LF, probably in the Melky range

Probably fits what this team is trying to do short-term. Still like Aoki for example, but he'll probably command a 3-5 yr deal. Hunter would be another one of those guys that has been there done that in the post-season aswell. You can slide him into a DH role and put Mayberry/Pillar/Dirks in left to give him a few days off too.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Probably fits what this team is trying to do short-term. Still like Aoki for example, but he'll probably command a 3-5 yr deal. Hunter would be another one of those guys that has been there done that in the post-season aswell. You can slide him into a DH role and put Mayberry/Pillar/Dirks in left to give him a few days off too.

It fits in with the whole rotating DH thing. Hunter can play both corner spots, he can DH, so can Reyes, Bautista and EE.

AA may be just trying to amass as much talent as possible which will allow you to have a 9 man rotation with positional flexibility.

Still why I think getting a Lowrie or Cabrera or even trading for A Ramirez is a smart move. Someone who can start at 2nd while being able to DH and start at SS some games. We don't have a viable option to replace Reyes yet

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
B259O7cIYAA0AxI.jpg:large

Our new Catcher

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
And what's wrong with that?

He still hit .286 last year and has been pretty good his entire career.

You could easily play him both as a OF/DH.

I addressed that in my previous post. Not the worst option, but I'd prefer someone younger.

Jaysfanatic*

Damn, dude is in good shape. Doesn't look like a catcher, does he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg