Blue Jays Discussion: Spending money on FA's?! Yes you read that correctly (Russell Martin signs $82M/5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Its interesting to use the 'pitching is a young man's game line' when the same people using it here seem to think that 40 year RA Dickey is somehow going to put up a 3.50 ERA this year.

However, I do 100% believe in the 'sign hitting, develop pitching' method of building a team so I'd much rather have Sandoval than Lester.

Who thinks Dickey will have a 3.50 era?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
The '200 innings of 3.50 ERA' has floated around in this topic a couple times, might go back and look later

Nonetheless its not really the point. Pitching is a game of having...good pitchers. Jon Lester is currently a better pitcher than anyone the Jays have on their roster, so signing him would certainly be a good thing if the Jays have the budget to do so and still have some left over to fill a couple positional holes.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
The '200 innings of 3.50 ERA' has floated around in this topic a couple times, might go back and look later

Nonetheless its not really the point. Pitching is a game of having...good pitchers. Jon Lester is currently a better pitcher than anyone the Jays have on their roster, so signing him would certainly be a good thing if the Jays have the budget to do so and still have some left over to fill a couple positional holes.

We agree. I don't see an issue with paying Lester until he's 37, and don't think the Blue Jays front office would either considering that they currently are scheduled to pay a 36 year old Buehrle as things presently stand.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
We agree. I don't see an issue with paying Lester until he's 37, and don't think the Blue Jays front office would either considering that they currently are scheduled to pay a 36 year old Buehrle as things presently stand.

In fairness Buehrle is a different breed and it's probably more of a miracle he's managed to be this effective at his age. Even though he's still well overpaid.

But I get it with Lester, of all the top tier giys on the market, Scherzer, Shields etc. Lester would be the guy I'd bet on to be effective over time.

Still not getting my hopes up though, I think ultimately he's going to get 6-7 years which will be a tough sell for Beeston

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
In fairness Buehrle is a different breed and it's probably more of a miracle he's managed to be this effective at his age. Even though he's still well overpaid.

But I get it with Lester, of all the top tier giys on the market, Scherzer, Shields etc. Lester would be the guy I'd bet on to be effective over time.

Still not getting my hopes up though, I think ultimately he's going to get 6-7 years which will be a tough sell for Beeston

That's such garbage. Does he want this team to win or not?

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
There needs to be more moves coming down the pipeline after this Martin signing. I believe AA is giving Martin his due today. Let him be announced as a Canadian kid coming home to play. Don't take away anything from him.

But I am 110% percent sure that AA is working the lines. Putting offers out there to FA and for trades to piggy back the Martin signing.

Dont be the least bit surprised if another signing happens tomorrow. My money is on Sandoval even though I would prefer Lester. But then again did any of us believe we had any chance at all on Martin???

We will see but I am starting to believe that Bob McCown knows what hes talking about. I believe Rogers is trying to win back fans of the entire Rogers product instead of taking a heavy licking for robbing us on our Rogers utility bills and giving nothing back. First the Martin signing on the sports side, today it was announced that Rogers is funding 130 million into a new research facility with Sick Kids for heart desease.

McCown is right, current CEO wants to give back. This is a good sign.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Woah lets just clear up something - Bob McCown has no idea what the hell he's talking about

However, I agree with the rest of what you said.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Red Sox claimed Juan Francisco off waivers from us. Thank god. Now a divisional rival will have to bear witness to his epic suckiness :biglaugh:

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I dotn care for McCowans opinions, but theres no doubt in my mind he has sources.

I'd go 6/150 for Lester. Hopefully move Dickey + Thole for a cheap, young reliever. Doesnt have a to be a good one, maybe one with potential to be a decent BP arm.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
It took you this long to figure that out?

Actually I believe Bob McCown although an arse at times, he is a very in the know individual when it comes to the sports scene. Hes got his contacts and I truly believe that if he states something he normally has the facts to back it up. We are not talking Eklund here.

Bob has been around the Jays and Rogers for some time. Has great relationships within Rogers and if he says he believes something is the works. Then something is in the works. All I had to hear was "I cant give names, but I heard rumblings in the hallways". This means something is up.

He broke the Collangelo firing days before it happened. He broke Masai signing. Burke firing. Shannahan hiring.

Man has his contacts

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

I think Cliff Lee is a good comparable for Lester. Probably even better than Buehrle. He just completed his age 36 season.

A nice way around the 5 year limit is to add a vesting option. 5 + 1 @ 23m aav is what I'd offer. If he rejects it, you look elsewhere.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Woah lets just clear up something - Bob McCown has no idea what the hell he's talking about

However, I agree with the rest of what you said.

Bob is actually very knowledgable when it comes to the business and the behind the scenes stuff. He has terrific sources and usually doesnt just make something up when it comes to the management side of things. Sure when he talks about the actual sport, trades or signings he can be a dummy sometimes but he knows his stuff when it comes to the other side.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Last edited:

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
With 3 teams interested, we might actually be able to get ourselves a major league piece back who will contribute something of value.

That's what I meant. A young 25ish bullpen arm that the Jays can control for a few years...possibly move into the closer role in the near future.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
@Ken_Rosenthal: Add #BlueJays to long list of clubs pursuing Torii Hunter. Team pursued him two years ago, not especially confident of retaining Melky.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
That's what I meant. A young 25ish bullpen arm that the Jays can control for a few years...possibly move into the closer role in the near future.

I wouldnt get your hopes up in getting back anything that great.

I'd be fine in trading him for a prospect, shedding his 5 million and redirecting it somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad