Value of: Spencer Knight

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Not overly interested in those guys. We really only have room for one forward, and I'd like someone a bit more established rn

He's 22. Probably one of those guys who feels older than he is since he came up so young, but I think maybe some people are lower on him than they should be because of the perceived age difference
You would like someone a bit more established for somebody who is not established at all (Knight)?

I really like your thinking.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
I do have faith that Knight will pan out in the next year or so. I wouldn’t trade him for scraps if I’m Bill Zito. He’s still got franchise goalie potential.

If he’s being moved, it should be in a package for a top-6 winger who isn’t just a 2-month rental.

Reactions: Pukboy5kroner

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Ya dostal and knight would be pretty nice young duo for us. But I think we’re pretty high on Clara, and expected to sign suchanek. Clang looked solid at times but has been pretty meh this year

Suchanek currently in San Diego (unsigned right now)

11-4-3
2.33 GAA
.928 save percentage
As a 20 year old rookie
This was my hidden gem in Chel. 7th round draft pick everytime, and he blooms into a stud, so he's gotta be for real.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

ANFTL17

Oct 22, 2022
Florida
Idk floridas ideal needs, but I do think kaliyev is a good player for a team to bring in with potential
I don’t know too much about Kaliyev, but I’m almost certain that he does train at the Panthers facilities during the summers. So I wonder if living in Florida full time would help reignite him

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I actually do think a Kaliyev for Knight trade could be beneficial to both teams if LA can make the salary work

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I rather trade for Saros over any of these options. I'd actually be fine with a package of Mercer + Holtz to get it done too.

Markstrom is older but at least the term isn't insane. It's workable and there will always be teams that need a goaltender.

Knight is too unproven and I personally don't want to trade any assets for a player that is that big of a question mark. We already have (hypothetically) Vitek for another year. Why go down that rabbit hole again?

Further if we traded for Markstrom and he turned to shit we could have him backup Daws. I just don't personally see it and think trading for Knight is fairly counter productive.
Fair enough.

Not overly interested in those guys. We really only have room for one forward, and I'd like someone a bit more established rn

He's 22. Probably one of those guys who feels older than he is since he came up so young, but I think maybe some people are lower on him than they should be because of the perceived age difference
Duh, I knew this. Don't know what I was thinking.

Reactions: Dabeast

Dabeast

Jun 13, 2014
South Florida
You would like someone a bit more established for somebody who is not established at all (Knight)?

I really like your thinking.
Yeah it would be the first trade in NHL history where an established NHLer is traded for young players who have yet to be established good point.

The first guy in the thread literally offered Toffoli

drede

Jul 13, 2023
What happened to him he looked like he was gonna be a very good goalie

Deadmaus

Jan 22, 2013
What happened to him he looked like he was gonna be a very good goalie
Entered player assistance awhile back for OCD, He had issues in college but it got worse as he was playing with us in the playooffs one year against tampa. I think his OCD involves him constantly washing his hands or something

drede

Jul 13, 2023
Entered player assistance awhile back for OCD, He had issues in college but it got worse as he was playing with us in the playooffs one year against tampa. I think his OCD involves him constantly washing his hands or something
Oh damm hopefully he can get it figured out

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Bob is tough. He's still a good goalie, but at his age and cap hit, I don't see a way to move him without paying either an arm and a leg to dump him or retaining a bunch to send him to a contender, and would you want to send Bob to a competitor?
Good goaltending is scarce around the league. I think we could trade Bob pretty easily.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Good goaltending is scarce around the league. I think we could trade Bob pretty easily.
Not really. Goaltending is as good as ever. There's literally 1 team with a need+cap space right now.

What is scarce is cap space.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Would love Knight on the Kings. If it’s true we are trying to re-sign Roy there will not be a need for Spence on the back end with Doughty, Roy and Clarke. He is young, a right shot and has an awesome track record at meeting and exceeding expectations at every level.

The problem is we have no Cap space. A Roy extension would also add another 2 ish mil to the cap.

Byfield will also get a massive raise.

We would have to trade Lizotte 1.6 mil, 4th line center as well to try and make it work.

Reactions: JKG33

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Not really. Goaltending is as good as ever. There's literally 1 team with a need+cap space right now.

What??? No way. NJ, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Carolina, Colorado, Chicago could all use an upgrade to their goaltending. Probably more teams if you wanted to get picky.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
What??? No way. NJ, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Carolina, Colorado, Chicago could all use an upgrade to their goaltending. Probably more teams if you wanted to get picky.
Yes
No cap and they are happy with the 3 they have
Pitt has been getting fantastic goaltending, but if they want to move on from Jarry sign me up TODAY.
Not buying
Not buying a goalie (GM has publically stated this)
Georgiev has been quality playing the heaviest workload in hockey
Not buying

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yes
No cap and they are happy with the 3 they have
Pitt has been getting fantastic goaltending, but if they want to move on from Jarry sign me up TODAY.
Not buying
Not buying a goalie (GM has publically stated this)
Georgiev has been quality playing the heaviest workload in hockey
Not buying
Georgiev has a .900, that's not quality no matter what the workload. Carolina, Columbus, Chicago all have cap.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
It really is crazy how top goalie picks almost never work out as well as you think they will. Recent guys like Cossa and Askarov have yet to justify their high picks, despite the former having a decent AHL season.
Most goalie picks don’t really establish themselves until they are 22-24 at least. They just take far longer to develop. Guys like Cossa and Askarov (and even Knight) it’s still too early to write them off or say they aren’t living up to their draft position.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

There's like 3 tiers of goalies right now:

~10 really good to elite goalies
Tons of ~average-ish goalies
Tons of way below guys.

Not sure I'd agree with your statement that goaltending is as good as ever unless you're comparing to the 80s era and in terms of conditioning and overall skill? The consistency from year to year when we saw Roy/Brodeur/Hasek/Lundqvist/Price etc play is not there anymore.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Definitely feels like a guy Hughes would be interested in but I feel like they'd be looking more at the offseason. Primeau++

There's like 3 tiers of goalies right now:

~10 really good to elite goalies
Tons of ~average-ish goalies
Tons of way below guys.

Not sure I'd agree with your statement that goaltending is as good as ever unless you're comparing to the 80s era and in terms of conditioning and overall skill? The consistency we saw from the Roy/Brodeur/Hasek/Lundqvist/Price etc is not there anymore.
I would somewhat disagree with that, especially as a Habs fan who saw Price have some so-so years while still being considered one of, if not the, top goalies.

I think the real cream of the crop like Vasi, Hellebuyck and Sorokin you can steadily rely on elite goaltending and while guys like Saros, Oettinger, Markstrom and Shesterkin have been a little more up and down they are not far behind

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Georgiev has a .900, that's not quality no matter what the workload. Carolina, Columbus, Chicago all have cap.
Georgiev has a +5 GSAx this year and overall is top 13 in the league over the past 2 years in GSAx right between Vasy and Oetter. If they trade for a different goalie to replace Georgiev send Georgiev to Jersey.

The carolina GM publically came out and said he's not buying a goalie. Freddy is back in like a week.

Again, go try and sell a goalie to Columbus and Chicago and see how quickly they laugh you out of the room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad