Value of: Spencer Knight

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Trying to gauge Knight's value, I could believe everything from a late 1st round pick to he has an albatross deal Florida would need to pay to dump.
  • Knight's signed to $4.5m x 2.5 year deal with RFA expiration.
  • He is buried in the AHL right now and his AHL stats do not look good enough to justify a promotion.
  • His buried cap hit is $3.35m which is a drag on Florida's cap, a team tying to win a cup this year
  • Stolarz is playing great as Bobrovsky's backup and maybe would sign an extension for next year+
  • Bobrovsky is also playing great, and maybe Florida's fine keeping him another year, or could find a desperate team to take some portion of his contract on in the offseason ($10m x 2.5 years).
So what's his value? I can imagine a rebuilding team with cap space (e.g. Chicago) being interested in him. Does Florida try to deal him for cap space for a cup run? Doesn't seem like he can be a top 2 depth chart G next year for them at this moment.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Hard to gauge his value.

His stats aren't great down there but the Checkers team isn't that structured as the Panthers are defensively.
The other goalie with a lot of games has a worse SV%, so it's not like we have one goalie with 15 games played and .930 and Knight with a .896

Think this year it was always going to be Knight staying in the AHL to get more playing time, minus a serious injury callup.

That being said, that 3.5mil would come in handy next year and the way Bob is playing I don't think they would be wanting to get rid of him nor run the risk of giving Knight the reigns next year.

Wasn't a Zito pick but Zito gave him that extension, early at that too.

His cap hit sucks if he can't be relied on as a 1b but at least his term for 24+ isn't an anchor.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
He's still super young, especially for a goalie. And there's a lot worse ways you can spend money than the 2 years at $3.5 per he has left.

I think that if the Panthers were willing to sell him at a "discount" there would still be a 10+ team bidding war that'd drive the price up. Maybe not to what it would've been a year or two ago, but I doubt the trade price would be cheap.

From a Kings POV I don't know what would be a fair offer but I'd love to get him.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He's still super young, especially for a goalie. And there's a lot worse ways you can spend money than the 2 years at $3.5 per he has left.

I think that if the Panthers were willing to sell him at a "discount" there would still be a 10+ team bidding war that'd drive the price up. Maybe not to what it would've been a year or two ago, but I doubt the trade price would be cheap.

From a Kings POV I don't know what would be a fair offer but I'd love to get him.
I think he’s be a good target for kings, I know duck fans have wondered about grabbing him(specially if we can facilitate a gibson trade)

Reactions: kinghock and JKG33

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I wondered aloud with friends what our goalie situation will be next year. Bob has been terrific since Zito upgraded the defense, he could be moved due to the great play or seen as too valuable to move. Stolarz has also been great, making Knight a bit more easy to use if we can re-sign him relatively cheap. But, Stolarz can give Knight the needed rest time between starts as well.

So, I could see him moved, we’ll need cap space, but I can still see Bob being moved as well since his modified clause kicks in.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I wondered aloud with friends what our goalie situation will be next year. Bob has been terrific since Zito upgraded the defense, he could be moved due to the great play or seen as too valuable to move. Stolarz has also been great, making Knight a bit more easy to use if we can re-sign him relatively cheap. But, Stolarz can give Knight the needed rest time between starts as well.

So, I could see him moved, we’ll need cap space, but I can still see Bob being moved as well since his modified clause kicks in.
Bob is tough. He's still a good goalie, but at his age and cap hit, I don't see a way to move him without paying either an arm and a leg to dump him or retaining a bunch to send him to a contender, and would you want to send Bob to a competitor?

Reactions: hn777

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
If he's on the market I'd hope the Habs would be in on him. We still have a guy on the payroll who was a goalie with elite level skill but also had his own personal struggles and went into the player assistance program. Price would probably be the perfect mentor for him.

It would be sad for Monty if Knight took his job for a second time, though.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
It really is crazy how top goalie picks almost never work out as well as you think they will. Recent guys like Cossa and Askarov have yet to justify their high picks, despite the former having a decent AHL season.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Plenty of non-playoff or bubble teams should look at him as a potential gamble.

Nashville could be interesting. Trade Saros for a haul and move a player or two to Florida for him, then run next year with Askarov and Knight. Florida only have 2 right handed D-men so maybe Fabbro or Carrier could be part of the deal. Both $2.5m, one a UFA and the other an RFA up this year.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
No. Not just no. Hell no.

The Devils need a proven goaltender and not another waiver wire pickup or 'what if' or 'reclamation' project.
Personally I'd rather be saddled with a 22 year old goalie making 4.5 for the next 2 years than a 34 year old making 6.

I look at it like this, Knight comes in and plays great taking the Devils back to the playoffs, that's a win. He comes in shits the bed and they miss, he's still young and cheap enough that someone else may think they can fix him, so he's tradeable, that's a win. His cost is also a player the Devils shouldn't be looking to re-sign, that's a win.

Markstrom comes in play great and Devils go to the playoffs, that's a win. He comes in and shits the bed, now he's too old and overpaid to be tradeable, so they're stuck with him for 2 more years, that's a loss. He will cost significantly more to acquire, that's a loss.

If Knight didn't work out, he doesn't crush the Devils ability to get a different goalie if he fails, with a guy like Markstrom, he'd better work out because he's what they're stuck with.

Edit: Had to fix Knight's age, he's 22 not 24 like I originally said.

Last edited:
Reactions: dgibb10

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I think he’s be a good target for kings, I know duck fans have wondered about grabbing him(specially if we can facilitate a gibson trade)
If the Kings starting goalie next year is Knight or Gibson (or Saros) I'd be thrilled.

Knight would be a nice fit to grow with ya'lls younger core group rather than jumping back into the league with an immediate playoff team.

I'd gladly help the Ducks get Knight if it means LA gets a retained Gibson

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If the Kings starting goalie next year is Knight or Gibson (or Saros) I'd be thrilled.

Knight would be a nice fit to grow with ya'lls younger core group rather than jumping back into the league with an immediate playoff team.

I'd gladly help the Ducks get Knight if it means LA gets a retained Gibson

Ya dostal and knight would be pretty nice young duo for us. But I think we’re pretty high on Clara, and expected to sign suchanek. Clang looked solid at times but has been pretty meh this year

Suchanek currently in San Diego (unsigned right now)

11-4-3
2.33 GAA
.928 save percentage
As a 20 year old rookie

Reactions: Bone Density

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
How about to trade Knight for Kaliev and Lizotte?

Kaliev confidence was ruined by Kings former coach, but can be recovered with new team.

Reactions: JKG33

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Kaliev confidence was ruined by Kings former coach, but can be recovered with new team.
Idk floridas ideal needs, but I do think kaliyev is a good player for a team to bring in with potential

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Personally I'd rather be saddled with a 24 year old goalie making 4.5 for the next 2 years than a 34 year old making 6.

I look at it like this, Knight comes in and plays great taking the Devils back to the playoffs, that's a win. He comes in shits the bed and they miss, he's still young and cheap enough that someone else may think they can fix him, so he's tradeable, that's a win. His cost is also a player the Devils shouldn't be looking to re-sign, that's a win.

Markstrom comes in play great and Devils go to the playoffs, that's a win. He comes in and shits the bed, now he's too old and overpaid to be tradeable, so they're stuck with him for 2 more years, that's a loss. He will cost significantly more to acquire, that's a loss.

If Knight didn't work out, he doesn't crush the Devils ability to get a different goalie if he fails, with a guy like Markstrom, he'd better work out because he's what they're stuck with.

I rather trade for Saros over any of these options. I'd actually be fine with a package of Mercer + Holtz to get it done too.

Markstrom is older but at least the term isn't insane. It's workable and there will always be teams that need a goaltender.

Knight is too unproven and I personally don't want to trade any assets for a player that is that big of a question mark. We already have (hypothetically) Vitek for another year. Why go down that rabbit hole again?

Further if we traded for Markstrom and he turned to shit we could have him backup Daws. I just don't personally see it and think trading for Knight is fairly counter productive.

Dabeast

Jun 13, 2014
South Florida
Arthur Kaliyev
Carl Grundstrom
For
Spencer Knight

Not overly interested in those guys. We really only have room for one forward, and I'd like someone a bit more established rn
Personally I'd rather be saddled with a 24 year old goalie making 4.5 for the next 2 years
He's 22. Probably one of those guys who feels older than he is since he came up so young, but I think maybe some people are lower on him than they should be because of the perceived age difference

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad